Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Turning OFF Samsung refer

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here but I can't figure out how to turn off the Samsung residential refer in our 2018 3121RL. Owners manual doesn't say a thing about turning it on or off. Can't pull it from wall to unplug it either.
Yes, I can turn off the inverter but the refer still runs when the trailer is plugged into 110 service. Just need to turn it off.....period. Any suggestions?

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
the Samsung manual has that information. Hold down 2 buttons on the left side and the display will show off after a couple sec.

this off the internet""

To disable Cooling Off mode, touch and hold the Energy Saver and Power Freeze on the display panel simultaneously. Continue holding until you hear a distinctive chime sound and both temperatures for the freezer and fridge are displayed.

Have you found how to turn the ice maker on yet? I found our last week. It is in the bottom cabinet behind the panel next to the ice box
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Can always turn breaker off in electric box.
Md.FireFighter 3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Thank you! This has been driving me crazy. I will try it tonight.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
But on my 2016 3791RD when i do the breaker it turns off the receptacle next to stove and ceiling fan in kitchen , i do that when in the driveway not in use but if your living in it might be a problem if you need those two things.
Md.FireFighter 3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
"IF" it is like my setup--- you can go to the inverter in the basement and pull the plug- that "kills" the pass thru part of the electric
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I just let ours keep running. That reduces issues with mold and such. Residential fridges will run continuously for years and I am not an expert and it is only my opinion but I suspect turning them on and off may actually do more harm than good. Of course bouncing them down the highway doesn’t help either.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
All good info, thank you. I did try the inverter down below but the refer stays running when plugged into the 110 volt, which I like to do to keep the batts charged. I pressed the two left buttons and the fridge did turn off. But, the interior lights stayed on. Go figure. Over the winter I will store without power and will disconnect the batts so that's not an issue. This is first residential refer we've had in an RV so we're like newbies on this one.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Turning it off with the 2 buttons shuts the compressor down. It puts the fridge in “demo” mode as it would be in a store on display. It will cause no harm and will allow the fan to run as needed to help keep the humidity down in it also.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:42 AM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
Turning it off with the 2 buttons shuts the compressor down. It puts the fridge in “demo” mode as it would be in a store on display. It will cause no harm and will allow the fan to run as needed to help keep the humidity down in it also.
Nice thanks been flipping the breaker off to achieve this.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
The only way to truly turn off the Samsung is to unplug it. Turning off the breaker will also turn other things off. Turning off the cooling, etc. as mentioned above will not turn off the lights when the door is left open during storage if the trailer is plugged in.

Unfortunately they put the outlet toward the back on the right hand side of the refer. When I bought mine I had them transfer the outlet to the bottom of the pantry next to the refer where the ice maker turn off valve is. Now I can easily unplug it and turn off the ice maker at the same time. In order to move the outlet you will need to pull out the refer so it can be unplugged. Better to have service do it next time you take it in.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #12
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
The TV is on the same breaker as the fridge. For me, the only time when I have power to the camper and not wanting the fridge off is when I am working on it. Being able to have the TV on while working would be nice. Especially if the recliner needs to be checked out.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #13
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
The only way to truly turn off the Samsung is to unplug it. Turning off the breaker will also turn other things off. Turning off the cooling, etc. as mentioned above will not turn off the lights when the door is left open during storage if the trailer is plugged in.
The lights will auto shut off in about 10 minutes with doors left open.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #14
Ddubya
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18941
Ours is on a dedicated outlet so I just turn the breaker off.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:

Unfortunately they put the outlet toward the back on the right hand side of the refer. When I bought mine I had them transfer the outlet to the bottom of the pantry next to the refer where the ice maker turn off valve is. Now I can easily unplug it and turn off the ice maker at the same time. In order to move the outlet you will need to pull out the refer so it can be unplugged. Better to have service do it next time you take it in.
Another option may be to add a switch downstream of the shore power/inverter automatic switch??
Old 08-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #16
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:

Pulling it out is a BEAR! Just provide some raised boards under the rollers and slide it out onto them. Make sure to have some overturned carpet under the boards so when it clears the raised portion of the kitchen floor, you can turn it slightly left to reach behind. As I did, you might find the trim below in the way. Might have to notch it out or remove it. Rv work requires so many "special" tools
Old 08-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
Reference the ice maker on/off. You refer to a bottom cabinet behind the icebox.....Are you talking about someplace inside the freezer? I shut water supply off to the freezer under the sink and next to the refrigerator. But the freezer still ices up. Since these are considered residential are they supposed to be frost free?
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #18
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodgod1 View Post
Reference the ice maker on/off. You refer to a bottom cabinet behind the icebox.....Are you talking about someplace inside the freezer? I shut water supply off to the freezer under the sink and next to the refrigerator. But the freezer still ices up. Since these are considered residential are they supposed to be frost free?
Your ? is OT but I'll try to answer. If freezer ices up in the bottom of the freezer (floor), it is a drain issue during the defrost cycle. If the freezer ices up on the back wall, it is a defrost failure issue. If it ices up other parts inside the freezer it is a large air leak somewhere around the door gasket (door not shutting - food or shelf/drawer binding against door).
Old 08-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #19
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Your ? is OT but I'll try to answer. If freezer ices up in the bottom of the freezer (floor), it is a drain issue during the defrost cycle. If the freezer ices up on the back wall, it is a defrost failure issue. If it ices up other parts inside the freezer it is a large air leak somewhere around the door gasket (door not shutting - food or shelf/drawer binding against door).
LOL....Figured it would be hard to decipher my question but you're really pretty close! Mines a 381TH with the same refrigerator. I have shut the water supply off to the refrigerator at both places in the trailer. The seals all seem to be good and I can't say that I've ever seen the freezer go through a defrost mode. The frost just accumulates so heavy around the icemaker unit(I guess). The only time it's ever been defrosted is after our trips and we get home and shut it down and leave the doors open to manually defrost it....
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodgod1 View Post
LOL....Figured it would be hard to decipher my question but you're really pretty close! Mines a 381TH with the same refrigerator. I have shut the water supply off to the refrigerator at both places in the trailer. The seals all seem to be good and I can't say that I've ever seen the freezer go through a defrost mode. The frost just accumulates so heavy around the icemaker unit(I guess). The only time it's ever been defrosted is after our trips and we get home and shut it down and leave the doors open to manually defrost it....
BTW
If you pull the fridge out of its hole on the HC381TH be sure to adjust shelves to suit ya while it is out. You can’t remove shelves while it is in place since doors don’t open all the way!!

I haven’t verified but I think fridge has it’s own 110 breaker since it runs to the shore power auto detect downstream of inverter. If that is correct then flipping breaker off and flipping inverter power switch off above your batteries should shut power off to fridge while rest of coach is still on

We park ours at home with full service including sewage if we want it so we just leave ours on