Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Window shade pull rod came off

The bottom white plastic pull-down rod came off of the actual shade. It looks like the bottom of the shade that fits into the pull down rod has a staple on either side and this fits into the groove of the white pull down rod. How are people fixing these so they don't come apart so easily?

432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
It will be interesting to see what fixes people came up with. I have rethreaded the shade to the plastic piece several times. I grab hold of the shade to pull it down to avoid it coming off but I'm sure it will get dirty over time from finger prints. Like many things in our unit, I'm surprised at the lack of quality in these units for the price we pay for them. Looking forward to hearing some great fixes to this problem.
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have the same shades in my MHC, and I absolutely hate them because of the same reason you just described. EVERY shade in the trailer failed.

At first I was able to salvage them. I actually broke the white tip on one end and the shade was able to slide back in that groove. That worked again for a pull or two.

After they pulled out again, I then folded the bottom of the shade one extra time, or roll-up, and then slid it back in the groove. Again ... pulled right out.

After several trial and errors, I finally rolled and folded the bottom one time and the part pointing upward catches in the track groove. But I did this before and it didn't last. So, I used a tube of clear silicon caulking and squirted it into that groove, let the shade hang and dry the silicon, and once it dried, I was able to roll up the shade.

I then applied a bead of silicon to each shade in that track groove, and I've never had another one pull off since.

So, before all the others pull off your shades, take a few minutes and run a bead of clear silicon caulking in each groove.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Thanks for the info guys. What's sad is we're talking about a stupid window shade.......You'd think by 2020 they would have resolved any issues with a window shade and how to construct it for durability like one for your home
Old 05-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I finally figured it out. The bottom of the shade is creased, which means it's inserted into the plastic pull rod doubled over. This allows the shade to hook to the inside lip of the plastic rod. Glad it was an easy fix with no drama. Happy RV'n everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1675.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	6312  
Old 05-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
432, the only problem is, it won't last unless you put some kind of glue or calking in that groove. I did the same thing initially, and after a couple pulls, it came right out again. I even tried rolling the part that goes into the groove so it would catch better. Every time I tried that, it it pulled out again. Once I put some adhesive in the groove, it didn't pull apart again.

I'm just sharing from my experience, and oh ... don't be surprised if the rest of your shades do the same thing, eventually.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #7
Bmw22555
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25290
Amazing to spend 80,000 and have such an easy problem for the manufacturers to fix.

Thanks for the glue idea, I was going to try a clear packing tape.
Bmw22555 is offline   Reply With Quote