Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Replaced CAP & Awning LED lights.

Finally my front CAP repaint was finished and now it was time to replace the front CAP lights and the awning light. I bought everything from Boogey Lights. The awning light has its own controller and the front CAP lights has its own too. I mounted both controllers in the battery compartment and powered them off of a fuse block. Connecting the fuse block to one of the 12V batteries, I used a simple disconnect, so battery drainage would not occur when not in use. This job was challenging. The painter actually filled and covered all the factory wiring holes, which allowed me to re-drill to the size I needed for the wiring harness, which was 1/4". The only place to pull the wiring through on the front CAP, was through the circular LED safety light above the pin-box. Using a Klein 25' wire puller, I was able to pull the 3 new wiring harnesses to the safety light opening. Oh this took a lot of patience, since the whole front CAP of the trailer is filled with what looks like wool insulation. The two lower side LED lights were the easiest. For the top CAP light, I was able to push the wire puller from the top down, and out of the safety light opening. Then I attached a smaller gauge wire to the wire puller and pulled it back out the top. I attached the new harness to the smaller wire and then pulled that back down to the safety light opening. From the safety light opening all three new cables fed back inside the safety light opening and straight through and into the battery compartment.

What is nice about the Boogey Light company, is they provide everything you need, including a very important adhesive promoter, which you wipe on last after cleaning the surface with rubbing alcohol. The adhesive promoter is a very crucial step and guarantees your LED strip will not come off. As for the LED awning light, I elected to keep the factory one and run my new one directly underneath it. My wife help me with the new LED light reel and we found that a extendable ceiling light bulb changer worked perfectly. I would stick a new portion of the LED in place, and my wife would keep the reel up in place, while I moved my ladder. For the new awning light wiring harness, I ran it down the front side awning support channels, to the bottom of the trailer, and then across to where I had to drill a hole to bring the wiring into the passenger side propane storage compartment. From there, the new wiring harness, fed right into the battery compartment. On the exterior of the trailer, I hid the new wiring harness with a simple black universal wire hider from Home Depot, which has an adhesive backing and corners.

This job took two full days, but I saved myself a ton of money by doing it myself. I was quoted between $700-$1,400.00 by an outside company. The new lights work great and can be controlled by the included remote controls, or by your smart phone. The primary colors are red, green, blue, bright white, and a soft white light. In addition, you can pick a ton of other colors, patterns, and brightness. If you notice the front lower CAP lights being a little short, it's because you have to cut the LED light strip at very specific points. Trust me, these things blow away the factory LEDs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3937.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	9350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3939.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	9351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3938.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	9352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3589.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	9353  

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
A few photos of the finished product. Front CAP repainted and with the new LED lights for the CAP and awning from Boogey Lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3997.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	9441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4001 (1).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	9442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3999.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	9443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3993.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	9444  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
Old 11-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #3
Chasin70srv

M.O.C. #27280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
A few photos of the finished product. Front CAP repainted and with the new LED lights for the CAP and awning from Boogey Lights.
What are the 2 lengths you purchased?
Chasin70srv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Please turn them off when you go to bed at night when camping at any campground. Thank-you.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:51 PM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Always turned off when I go to bed, and I normally dim them down too.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:42 AM   #6
John and Barbara
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23309
Why do you want cap lights turn off at night? I leave cap lights on all night and so does every camper with cap lights in camp grounds near me. cap lights are no different than porch lights.