Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
Mispeld

M.O.C. #31266
Looking to purchase 2016 3711FL - leaking slide?

Edit - Oh my... edited my post and the entire thing disappeared. Ugh. anyway...

Camper needs a lot of work and has been in storage.

The driver’s side living room slide:

Bottom of the couch was damp around where your feet would rest around the middle. The carpet under the slide was wet in the same area more towards the "L" shape of the sofa/floor vent.

Also - the fiberglass on the bottom of the slide underneath on the outside sags a bit and I can push it with my hand like it has become delaminated. This slide is the one where it doesn't have the black tyvek stuff like the other slides. It is not solid like the others where you can knock on it and have a hard, dense surface. The fiberglass panel also has a small crack and indent from sliding on the roller. I am unsure if this is normal or if maybe water has damaged the floor of the slide and caused problems.

There was a small boatload of pine needles trapped on and in the top slid/seal when it was retracted so perhaps the leak was coming from there? I also see a small 1/4' gap on the bottom left when the slide is pulled in and seals as you go up, top, and back down the other side.
[IMG]https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/picture.php?
albumid=408&pictureid=2673[/IMG]

Is the fiberglass normal to be flexible on the bottom and is the dent from the roller and crack an area of concern?

The price was right until I discovered this and I am thinking I should walk away.

Mispeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:18 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
That rig needs a lot of work. I would move on and find a different rig to buy.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
My unit is a 2018 and it has a black plastic sheet bottom under the front/bedroom slide (similar location to your living room slide). The plastic sheet is not laminated to the slide floor as best as I can tell. It looks like they used a sheet of filon for the bottom of the slide in 2016. I don't think it would be laminated to the slide floor - so you would be able to feel it move it you poke on it. I have similar situation with the cream colored filon on the soffit around the hitch area. It is held on with several screws and not laminated to the bedroom floor. The filon soffit shows "waves" or slight sags between the screws. I do not consider this to be a problem.

I would be very concerned about the wet couch and what looks like stains on the filon slide bottom in your pic #1. That looks like water stains to me. Also - the cut (or crack) in the filon in pic #2 would be the perfect place for water to intrude into the slide out floor. The cut does not look fresh...looks like it has been there for a while. If the slideout plywood floor has been getting wet for a while - it will need to be replaced. I suspect the rollers are making a "dent" in the filon because the plywood above has turned to mush. If the plywood has been wet for a while - chances are good that it may have wicked into the sidewall plyboard and you could see damage from wet spots a few inches above the floor.

There are youtube videos available from folks who have replaced the slideout plywood floors with the slideout left in place (various RV makes and models - don't remember if there is a Montana specific video). Watch a couple of those to see if you could do it yourself. I think it is a big job. I think a dealer removes the slide to replace the plywood. It is an expensive fix from a dealer. If my observations are correct concerning the slideout floor - I would walk away. If you are handy and think you can do the job - make sure you get s swingin' good low price! Be sure to look at the sidewalls for water damage.

Again - I would walk away.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:10 PM   #4
Mispeld

M.O.C. #31266
I can buy it for 35k. I am handy and can do most anything but dunno if it's worth it. It was going to be put on our property as our weekend home and live in while we build in the future when the inflation calms down.

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards walking.
Mispeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I haven't shopped used units but 35K sounds like a lot of money for a 6-year-old unit that is going to require a lot of work. Trust me, maintaining mine and helping many others maintain theirs, when you get into it, it'll be more than you originally anticipated. Think that's an RV Rule!