Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
golfer1
Established Member

M.O.C. #6552
slider

Ok all you trouble shooters, help me with this: we're returning from a somewhat trouble free 3 week journey. More on the 'somewhat trouble free' part later. Here's my question on the kitchen side slide out: Two nights ago when we tried to extend the slide out, only one end would slide, leading to torquing or pivoting, while the other end remained "in". Has this happened to anybody else? Any ideas on what's causing this? By the way, this is happening on a 2005 Big Sky.

I was able to get it fully extended by pushing/wiggling on the counter top on the end that was not moving. In the morning, when we tried to retract it, it was again moving only on one end. With someone outside, pushing on the non-moving end of the slide out, and with me on the inside, pulling on the countertop, we were able to fully bring it in.

golfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Sounds like to me that you have a bolt sheared on your slide. Check under the slide and see if you have a 1/4 20 bolt missing or sheared. Several on here has had that happen to them. Do a slider search on here and you will find some pictures showing the problem.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Larry & Roma said, there is a shear bolt on each end of the square shaft that runs parallel to the coach, under the slide. The result of a broken shear bolt is exactly what you described. The bolt you want to buy is available at Home Depot or Lowe's. Per MIMF, formerly a Lippert employee, the bolt you want is 1/4-20 x 2" hex head Grade 8 bolts. Get some washers also. This bolt has a shoulder long enough to go through the entire shaft so that NO threads are inside the shaft. The threads are a weak point and are why many of the original bolts have broken. Because the shoulder will extend beyond the shaft, you'll use washers to fill the gap between the nut and the shaft so the nut will snug up.

The biggest problem I had was getting the slide aligned properly so that when it closes it is snug to the coach on both ends. You can use a crescent wrench or open end wrench on the square tube to turn it. That will move one end of the slide. Align the holes and insert the bolt.

It's easiest if you can get the slide all the way in and snug to the coach before doing this. I couldn't get to the tube to work with it so had to have the slide out a ways and then had to do some adjustment to snug it up.

Good luck. I hope this helps. I've only had to do this once and hopefully never again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
golfer1
Established Member

M.O.C. #6552
Wow, I knew I could rely on you guys to come up with the answer. I have been reading this forum for months now and I am forever amazed at the knowledge one gets from cyberspace. Thanks again, I will let you know whne I get my monte back on the road. I am sure that is the problem because I am sure it happened coming out of Denver heading south on the 25. What a miserable hwy that is. Ive been on dirt roads in better condition.
golfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
Page16
Established Member

M.O.C. #20055
Here’s a bedroom slider question that seems related. A week into an extended trip, we arrived at a new site tonight and our bedroom slider seems get stuck at the top after it moves out about a foot. The bottom keeps moving so that the slide starts to tilt at an angle inward. We’ve tried checking for obstructions, pushing, etc, but no luck. Help
Please!
Page16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Wow! Having trouble ALREADY on a unit that is ONLY 13 years old? Unacceptable!

Oops, sorry. Just noticed dates.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote