Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
golfer1
Established Member

M.O.C. #6552
wifi boosters

Any computer gurus out there? Does anyone use a wifi booster for campsites that have wifi but the signal is too weak to boot up the internet? Any suggestions would be of great help

golfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
yepper i have an external antenna that plugs into a usb port and it clamps onto the top of your lab top.The range for the wifi is probably tripled in range.So far its really worked out good for me.Wish I knew the link for ya,but just do a search.I believe it was about 80 bucks.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I use a Wilson Antenna that I bought from 3G store. I mount it to the ladder and it plugs into the aircard from Verizon. I have been in parks that without it no internet.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I use a Wilson Antenna that I bought from 3G store. I mount it to the ladder and it plugs into the aircard from Verizon. I have been in parks that without it no internet.....
We have the same system as Phil and Cathy and it works real well.

The website is 3gstore.com

Contact information:
Work: 866 347-8673
Work: x 712
Other: www.3gstore.com

Entry Date: 5/08

Alex asks the right questions, sells you only what you need, we have been very happy with the service, support and the hardware!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Wish my Verizon aircard worked as well as you guys say. Going back to Hughes Net.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Wish my Verizon aircard worked as well as you guys say. Going back to Hughes Net.
Murf,
You're not alone in what you say. I know two others who put their Hughes Net in hibernation while they tried the Verizon aircard, then went back to their Hughes Net. They both said that the aircard coverage was too spotty for their style of travel. As for us, we have had Starband since January.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
bigmurf,

I understand what you are saying, but the addition of the 3-watt booster gives us about 85% of the coverage we would have in the areas we want to be in that we got with our HugesNet.

The best part is that there is no setup of that cumbersome dish, and the DW can surf the net as we drive down the road and get the best fuel prices, look at campgrounds with google earth, get directions, do our banking, etc. etc. With the dish, you have to do ALL of your homework before you move.

I guess the real difference is about where you are going to need the service, the coverage map that Verizon shows on the web is a nice indication of whether or not the Verizon coverage is for you.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had excellent coverage all over the country with the verizon aircard. However, this poster is asking how to boost a very weak signal from an rv park's wifi system.

I think Best Buy has a signal booster you can use. It will have to be mounted where it can receive a signal and it requires 110v. An rv park we wintered at a few years ago had some of these placed around the park. They're not water proof so they put them inside capped pvc pipe with a hole in the bottom for the 110v cord. It worked well. But if your signal is weak at your site I'm not sure this will help unless you place it closer to the source. I think what it does is receive the signal and send it on another however many feet they send the signal.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Golfer1, I think you are asking about receiving free WIFI signals. There are several adapters out there and I think I have most of them. If you select a USB adapter with a SMA connector on one end and a USB cable connector on the other end it is very easy to connect an external antenna with higher dba gains which will enhance your WIFI reception in parks, motels and all the other open networks out there.

The latest adapter I have and am preparing to test is the Alpha 500 mW adapter. With the higher power it should shake hands a little better. I’ve also used wifi radios connected to flat panel and omni antennas. There are good but much more complicated to set up and use for the average guy. With the radios I would recommend some networking experience.

You can connect the usb adapters to flat panel antennas, omni directional and about any other 2.4 GHz antenna with the proper fittings. With a flat panel or omni antenna you can easily connect to an open network ˝ mile to a mile away. If you have a line of sight you can connect much further away. It isn’t all that hard to mount the antennas on a mast to your ladder rack with a boat antenna mount and then you can raise and lower the antenna with ease.

Usually the USB adapters come with a utility cd for installation and a network program for easy use. I don’t full time but still travel a lot. I find it fairly easy to find wifi hot spots when I travel and really don’t need the anywhere connection options. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I was going to reply this morning, but the campground we were at didn't have a strong enough signal...imagine that...
I have a newer notebook and made a run to Best Buy to try to get a better antenna. I saw the repeaters that Steve was talking about and he was correct - they are repeaters...they extend the signal to the local area, but they have to be able to receive it to do so.
The antenna I bought was a Linksys range extender. 70 bucks on sale for 50. It didn't work any better than my built in, so back it goes.

The high gain antenna that Jolu referred to is the unit I just bought over at Amazon. This one comes with both the short and long antenna for what looks to be significant gains. We'll see...here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QYDMYG
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Like Ozzie mentions I also expect this adapter should do well when connected to a 8db omni direction antenna on the roof of the Monty, and a lot better when connected to the 18db directional flat panel antenna. In my case I use a 5' LMR400 cable with an N connector on one end and a RPSMA connector on the other end. This cable is through the roof of the Monty. The N connector is connected to the antenna on a mast with a boat mast mount on the ladder rack. The inside RPSMA is connected to the USB WIFI adapter. Then I use amplified USB cables to extend from the adapter anyplace in the Monty. This has worked very well with other USB adapters I use.
I am using one of these http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wi.../o2connect.php installed in a window at my cabin to shoot about 3/4 mile line of sight to a friends network (Router) across the valley from me. It works very well.
Good luck with yours Ozzie. We will have to report back. JB
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
This thread is of great interest to me as I am not in a position to take advantage of an additional service for Internet in the RV.
Many campgrounds do have wireless these days, but they are of poor design, maybe they are getting poor advice of how to implement it correctly for good coverage.
I will be very interested to see how this unit works for me, hopefully I can avoid having to go to the next step.
Nice linkage there Jolu...maybe that will be another good one to try.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Here are a few sites for checking out the WIFI antennas and USB adapters. I have ordered from each of these companies with the exception of the Alpha 500 site. I ordered my Alpha 500 from another site that no longer comes up. The price was $54.

Please use the "short" form to post long links. Thank you. RVWheels
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/wifi-...b-adapter.aspx

http://<a href="http://www.usb-cable...ables.html</a>
(17’ USB amplified cable)

http://www.deliberant.com/landing/<b..._products.aspx

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/<br /...i-antenna.aspx
(omni Directional antenna)

http://tiny.cc/GNSvSAlpha 500mW

http://www.pacwireless.com/home.shtml
Old 08-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
The Alpha I got has the two antenna...if I had chosen the single antenna, there is linkage on the link I supplied for that model as well for the same price as yours. The difference being that the one I chose also includes the larger antenna. A bit pricey for that I know, but that way I don't have to rob from my other equipment to do it.
When you posted about an amplified USB cable, it got my attention...is this something that would improve signal levels? A separate 110 power source is needed for this?
Old 08-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Ozzie, The amplified USB cable is used to extend from the adapter up to 80'. Usually with USB cables you can extend a device only up to 15' without losing power or signal. I use two of the 17' amplified USB cables (see link in my above posting) connected to a USB adapter to extend 34' from a rear cabinet to my laptop located under the tv in the 2955RL. You could not do this with ordinary USB cables. I don't think the amplified cable would increase your adapter signal. But it would keep the power needed for longer run USB cables to and from your laptop.

There are also USB to Cat5 adapters out there where you can convert USB to Cat5 cable for longer runs. I don't want to cloud the topic with that approach. I have found they don't work all that well for the WIFI adapters I have used.

I have the single antenna 500mW Alpha adapter. This is so I can connect my roof mounted antenna on the Monty to it. I will not be using the antenna that came with the adapter. I would bet you could connect another antenna with more gain to one of your adapters antenna connectors if they unscrew. You would just need a RPSMA connector on a cable leading to an antenna. I will be testing the Alpha adapter soon.

Another good site for Panel Antennas with built in radios is www.deliberant.com These 2.4 GHz radios are PoE (power over ethernet). There is a power supply and a Cat5 cable is used to connect to the ethernet port of your computer. Thus you can have long runs from the antenna/radio.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I got this info from another forum and bought both products. I occasionally telecomute and work from the RV. Using this configuration, I can set up my desk and point the antenna to get enough signal strength to work. It has worked for me in parks with wifi.

EnGenius High Power USB WiFi Adaptor at Egghead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16833168023:
Cantenna Antenna: http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5286717

If the usb Wifi Adaptor isn't enough, I just unsrew the antenna and plug in the Cantenna, aim in towards the park antenna. They are about $40.00 each.

Ken

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #17
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Ken, I've read where the Cantenna works well. Newegg.com is a very good site to order from. I have ordered from Newegg for several years. I would like to go to Fry's in CA for their big sale they have from time to time.
The Hawking HWU8DD has worked well for me for shorter shots. I like to use external antennas and try to reach out a couple of miles. A mile is easy, two miles gets tricky because of obstructions. I would think in most cases most of us only need to reach out and shake hands at tops about 3/4 mile.
The Deliberant DLB2100 radio connected to a panel antenna will reach out pretty good but is more complicated to set up for the average guy. That is why I like the USB adapters connected to an external antenna. They are easy to use and they get the job done. The 8db Omni antenna reaches all 360 degrees and is better in certain situations than the higher db gain flat panel or directional antennas . The flat panels usually have a fairly small defined beam pattern.
I have installed and tried the Alpha 500mW adapter with good results. I'll report back in a few days when I get a chance to test it in the same location as I have tested other adapters. This will give me a chance to have the other adapters on hand also for comparison.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #18
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
For anyone still interested in USB Adapters. Here are the results of the unscientific test I did for four different adapters. My test was done as an average guy using the signal percentage shown in the utility program provided with each adapter. I am not an expert and I don't have hi-tech equipment. I probably tested just as you would do at home or in your RV.
My test was done during mid day and the weather was clear and sunny. The distance was about 3/4 mile without any obstructions across a valley and stream to a friends Linksys router connected to a dish.

I used a 16dbi PacWireless flat panel antenna for the Alpha and Wireless Lan USB Adapter aimed through a double pane window.

Alpha 500mW USB Adapter Mod# AWUS036H:
6' USB cable supplied with adapter---80% signal strength
10' USB extension cable non-amplified---78% signal stength
17' Amplified USB extension cable---78% signal strength

Wireless Lan USB Adapter:
10' USB extension cable non-amplified---49% signal stength
17' Amplified USB extension cable---46% signal strength

O2 200mW Connect 15db USB Flat Panel with built in adapter:
15' attached USB cable---56% signal strength

Hawking HWU8DD 8dbi Adapter:
5' attached USB cable---23%

What was clear to me was the 500mW adapter made for a stronger signal and faster web page loading. The Alpha is not the only 500mW adapter available. I would think most any of the 500mW adapters connected to an external high gain antenna Omni,flat panel,or other, you could expect good results. There are also boosters available where you can connect to an adapter to increase power. http://www.wifi-link.com/product.php...&class2_id=392

I hope this might be of some help if you are interested in USB WiFi Adapters. JB
Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
I have had great success with this website.

https://www.maximumsignal.net/store/home.php?cat=1.

I have used them when I rustic camp and it really boost a weak signal. It works on a cell phone or an air card. Just get a cable to match your phone or air card.

You can even get their router to create your own hot spot in the middle of no-where.

Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:43 AM   #20
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I've been using a 15db Tranzeo panel for some time. I merely fastened a piece of pvc to the ladder on the RV then mounted the panel on the PVC. (I remove the panel when traveling) We use the wifi from the hotel were DW works. Very good, free, hi-speed internet. They are a chore to get set up correctly though. My son set everything up in the computer, I just mount the panel, open the locater program, and let it find the panel. Hmmm, so much I don't know. Never figured out yet why they call them a radio. Don't guess it really matters, as long as it works!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote