Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #1
ADP1723
Established Member

M.O.C. #29275
Light Fixture Wiring with On/Off Switch

Hi everyone! I have a 2007 Montana Mountaineer 342pht, and I'm trying to replace the light fixture above our Dinette with something more modern, but I'm a little confused on how to match the wiring.

As you can see in the picture below, the wiring for the old fixture has two white wires, two white/orange wires, and the black on/off switch wiring. I am planning on completely removing the on/off switch since the new fixture doesn't have a place to mount the switch. That leaves me with 4 wires - the two white pairs and the two white/orange pairs, but the new fixture just has one white wire and one black wire.... So how should I connect these? ...Would I connect the new fixture's white wire to the other two white wires, and the black wire to the two white/orange wires???

And can I just remove the on/off switch wiring from the circuit, or would that cause me issues?

Thanks in advance for the help! This community is amazing!

ADP1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Is it a 120 vac or 12 vdc light fixture? If 120 vac then determine which wire is hot and which is neutral. If 12 vdc determine which wire is positive and which is ground.

And does the new fixture have a built in switch? If it doesn’t and you connect the wires the light will be on all the time.

If the new fixture has a built in switch you can just eliminate that loose switch and connect one of the wires of the new fixture to the white pair and the other wire to the wht/orn pair. But you should connect the correct polarity wire to the appropriate wire on the new fixture, especially if the new fixture is LED.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
ADP1723
Established Member

M.O.C. #29275
It's a 12v light fixture. I was thinking I could just leave the switch out bc there's a wall switch, but I just ended up drilling a small hole in the fixture to add the switch from the old one.

Thanks!
ADP1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Great. Glad you got it done.

My 2007 Montana had all 12 vdc light fixtures except the one over the dining table. It was 120 vac for some reason. With no wall switch, only a switch on the fixture. That is why I asked.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote