Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #21
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Just got back from my trip to Iowa and back pulling a load heavier than my 3400RL. I could see no difference in my truck. I am running about 3 miles per hour faster than the speedo shows. I don't care about computing the miles per gallon because I have no control over it other than my foot. With the factory tires I was pushing the max rating but with the larger tire I have a good buffer.

1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
So here is another wrench to throw into the spokes....

If one upgrades the tire size in order to increase the payload on the tire, wouldn't one now be over gross on the rear axle. The axle on the GM 2500HD is rated for 6,000 lbs, and the 245's are at 3,042 (memory?) equaling 6,084 lbs of capacity from the stock tires. If one is over gross on the tires, one is also over the max axle weight rating... ?? Is my thinking correct on this or no??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #23
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Dave...you can put any tire you want on there with any capacity as long as the capacity of the tires will support the axle rating...just don't go over the axle capacity when loading the truck. The capacity of my axle is 8200, so it makes no difference if the tire capacity is 2050 (x 4 = 8200), or if the tire capacity is 3000 (x 4 = 12000), I'm still limited to 8200.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #24
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Bert, what you are saying is true. The element with the lowest load rating is going to be the limiting factor.

Dave, unless I missed something here ( which is a good possibility ), I don't think anyone was wanting to increase their payload. The way I read it was, higher load rating on the tires for added safety, and to increase the comfort zone. Peace of mind, if you will.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #25
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Agree with Lonnie -- I don't want to put more in / on my truck; it is just that when I have my 5er attached, fuel, and wife, myself and our 3 kids (3 tiny toy poodles ) I compute myself to be about 200 lbs short of gross for the tires. If I happen to hit bump that puts more load on the tires, well, I want the tires not to blow because the momentary weight on the one side exceeded 3042 or whatever it is on OEM tires. Comfort zone is what it is about.

Just thought about it a minute longer and I guess what I'm trying to say above is that it is not a constant load that I'm concerned about, it is that momentary load when the weight hits the bottom (whether due to a pothole or the road suddenly lowering on one side), you feel it in the seat of your pants for an instant and then all is back to normal. Hope that made sense. Been a long week.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #26
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Lonnie you are right in my case I only wanted to increase my comfort zone.

Dave and Cat you are right about the pay load. However at 6000 pounds you are at max weight on the factory tires. With my unit I am close to max therefore I wanted some buffer. I'm not worried about the axel or springs but the tires are the weak link. Also as the tire ages is it still able to carry 3042 pounds.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #27
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks for clarifying that y'all. I misread/misunderstood the original intention of this thread...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:24 AM   #28
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Took my trailer out yesterday to wash the winter crud off it -- while out I took it out to the KS DOT scales on I70 (they were closed but opening up as I finished -- thanks KS DOT !!); I was curious if wind altered the weight on the wheels -- it did. Had wind gusts 30mph or higher (was interesting drive - if I had to travel yesterday I would have been super late!!) -- in any case I digress. I weighed both trailer (all done hooked up to truck), then each side by itself (DOT was good enough to let me turn around and go onto their scales backwards); My curb side is just at 800 pounds heavier. While on the scale with all 4 trailer tires on the scale, a wind gust hit - saw total trailer weight climb by almost 400 pounds. While I was doing individual side weights, gusts continued and when weighing the heavy side - the weight was just shy of 1300 pounds heavier (increase of almost 500 pounds). I attribute that to the wind blowing and having unit push down on that side while weighing.

Spoke with local state trooper late yesterday afternoon after I'd taken the trailer back home(guy must think I'm nuts for coming back to talk to him) - asked him about the weight and he said that when they do the big trucks they try to measure 'outside of the gusts'. Heavy winds, snow, even rain, can put some truckers over weight as some run so close to their max weights.

In any case, thought it interesting since I'd always thought the weight shifted some but this unscientific experiment confirmed it for me. Guess the 'truth of the pudding' (as in any experiment) is if anyone else can duplicate it.

Thanks for letting me speak (type) my piece.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #29
golfer1
Established Member

M.O.C. #6552
I am new to towing a 5er. In reading the post from SNOWNYET he said he would not tow with 285's. My question is why? I am currently running on Michelin lt 285/75/16 ds. Last year I towed a TT with no problems, but have since upgraded to a 5er. A 2005 Big Sky. My tires have about 50,000 miles on them, still have good tread left. Have been thinking of getting a new set before I start traveling. Are 265/75/16 e going to get the job done?
golfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:04 AM   #30
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
golfer1,

Here are a few numbers for you on the Michelin LTX M/S

LT285/75R16D - Max load 3305 lbs. - 32.85 inches tall - 634 RPM
LT265/75R16E - Max load 3415 lbs. - 31.65 inches tall - 652 RPM
LT245/75R16E - Max load 3042 lbs. - 30.45 inches tall - 681 RPM

The tires you are running on your truck have a lower load rating than the LT265/75R16E's by 110 lbs, and they are 1.2 inches taller which means more power is required to turn the tire, which could mean lower fuel mileage.

To answer the question, "Are 265/75/16 e going to get the job done?", yes, better than the tires you are currently running.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #31
golfer1
Established Member

M.O.C. #6552
Lonnieb thanks for the info. Yes, this information will help me decide which tires to buy
golfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #32
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I have been following this thread with interest, and have a question for you tire gurus (Glenn and Lonnie) and anybody else for that matter. Why not put the same size tires on the truck that came from the factory? The oem tires are rated to handle GVWR and GAWRs. Other than a bit of 'insurance', bigger tires should not really be needed, and different sized tires seem to cause lots of minor problems...differences in rpm, speed, fuel mileage, etc from the information the oem tires provide.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #33
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Bert,

There are a couple of reasons people choose to go with a larger tire than OEM. Some do it for the cosmetics, they like the way the bigger tires look. Some do it for the extra "cusion" in the load range, increase the comfort zone. Then there are those that, either by circumstance or choice, are occasionally over the GVWR and or the GAWR, and want to minimize the chance of a tire blowing out.

When I was in the construction business, I was one of the people in the last category. Now that I am no longer having to haul those kinds of loads, I fall in the second category. My OEM tires were LT235/85R16E's, I am useing LT265/75R16E's now. They are wider, have a higher load rating, and the height difference isn't enough to alter anything on the truck.

Every component of any given truck has it's limits, from load ratings to crash ratings, that are there for one reason, safety, and the vehicle is only as safe as it's weakest component. I personally feel that anything I do to any given component that increases it's operating capacity, also increases the safety of myself, and everyone else on the road in my proximity. I see far more failed tires, than failed wheels, springs, axles,....etc, so anytime someone comes to me wanting tires with a higher load rating, I am more than happy to accomodate them.

On Edit - Glenn, and others, I would be interested in your opinions also.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just switched my 265/75R-16s for new Michelin LTX M/S 245/75-16s. I expect better fuel economy - less aggressive tread (by far) and lighter tire (by far). Weight of the tire will make a difference, I believe...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Traveltunes, I got 70,000 miles out of the BFG Rugged Trail T/A on my '05 F350. They had 5k to 7k more miles in them but I swapped them out because of getting into ice and snow time of the year and wanting more tread on the tires. I put another set of the same tires on the truck because I was so pleased with the wear from the originals. BFG RT T/A have become my tire of choice.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #36
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
I ended up going with the Bridgestone Dueller Revo's in a 265/75/16. I read all the reviews on each tire at tirerack.com and the Revos seem to have the best reviews. Thanks everyone for your in-depth answers to my question.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote