Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #41
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Sorry but I was referring to the latest post by Raspyhonker and the two replies to it. I didn't see the previous Posts. This is why Posting a new question in an existing Thread is frowned upon. My bad.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #42
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
No big deal...these threads can get confusing when somebody casually slips into a different topic with a question, not intentionally, but different enough to get mixed up. I'm confused enough as it is!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #43
Rhaspyhonker

M.O.C. #30156
Didn't mean to start trouble...

I wanted to thank the folks who answered my questions about the bad "info" my dealer gave me about the batteries in my 2012 3582rl (Carl n Susan, RMcNiel, Cat320). Didn't mean to start any arguments over this. I was pretty sure that two 12v batteries in parallel doubled the amp hours but when the dealer dude said otherwise, well, I had to confirm what I'd always been taught. I knew I could get some good information here for sure. So thank you all again for the advice. I have two lifeline agms ready to put into our Monty (who we call Mabel). Any suggestions where to get the wiring kit/battery box for this upgrade? I was gonna call a local dealer who had a decent parts department in this area. Also, is there a setting that needs to be made/adjusted on the controller before installing the new batteries?
Thanks!
Rhaspyhonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #44
Rhaspyhonker

M.O.C. #30156
Also, my bad if my new question was disruptive. I thought since this thread is called "lead acid to agm" that my question would add some extra pertinent information to this topic. My apologies. Go easy on me, I'm a newbie.
Rhaspyhonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #45
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Amazon has several battery box options based on the size batteries you are installing. Any auto parts can help you make up cables.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #46
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Most Auto parts stores will make cables for you if you don't want to make them. I have an O'Reily's nearby that does it. Just tell them what gauge and length you want.

If you want to do it yourself, check out Napa stores for cable ends and welding supply places for flexible wire rather than stock battery cable stuff.

As for battery boxes, they are available from Amazon or look for Dyno boxes. But AGMs don't off-gas and don't require a sealed box as do flooded cell batteries. You can just strap them down and be done with it.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #47
Leonard R.
Established Member

M.O.C. #26577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbear View Post
I currently have lead acid batteries in my Monty that need replaced. Since I store for 6 months, I am considering going with the AGM marine battery and a solar charger. Does anyone have this set up? Any recommendations? I would appreciate any input , thanks, terbear.
Hi,
At new I installed 4 x 6v Trojan T-105 AGM's. They are awesome and now I have 434 amp/hours of storage. Still leaves me with 217 amp/hours at 50% discharge. It is great to have maintenance free batteries that do not need venting. For winter storage I installed a on/off switch on my negative battery cable to cut power completely, so I do not need to recharge over the winter. The Montana battery cut off switch in the convenience centre still allows parasitic power draw.
Hope this helps!
Leonard R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:50 PM   #48
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Update

Update…back in December I decided to go with Duracell AGM group 27 as replacement for my OEM DEKA group 27 batteries. Trouble is - they were nowhere to be found. I kept track of our nearest Sams, even checked Batteries Plus on line and found none. We were in our Sams yesterday morning and they had two of them on the shelf so I bought them and put them in today.

The Deka batteries started showing signs of weakness maybe 2 years ago. I opened the slides at a roadside park and barely got them back in - so I decided we would not open the slides unless we were plugged into shore power. Glad to have new batteries.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:55 PM   #49
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Solar panel that trickle-charges batteries is a good plan I have a factory-installed SolarFlex system that trickle charges factory-supplied lead acid batteries. Planning to replace the batteries with higher Ah capacity AGM's when they reach end of life. I would add.........suggest installing a battery disconnect switch at the battery to isolate them while stored.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #50
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I see a lot of people posting “factory installed” or “OEM” batteries. Just to clarify (unless this has just changed), Keystone does not provide batteries with the exception of the Battleborn batteries in the Super Solar. When you pick up your unit at the dealer, they selected and installed the batteries. Just a point of clarification.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:56 AM   #51
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I agree...I now know batteries don't come from the Keystone factory...but when I bought the unit the DEKA Group 27 batteries were there. Just one of several hundred things I did not know when I started reading this forum. I suppose its just easier to type "OEM" than to type "the batteries that the dealer installed in my unit".
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote