Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2021, 09:48 PM   #1
Chaseurs
Established Member

M.O.C. #21204
Electrical issue. HELP!!!!

We have a 2021 model 3120RL
Took our trailer to Arizona in early November and stayed in it until the 20th of November. Left it there and went home to Idaho for Thanksgiving. Everything turned off but left it plugged in to 50 amp pedestal. Had friend turn refrigerator on three days ago to electricity. We arrived back in AZ this afternoon. The three Battle Born lithium Batteries completely dead. We also have 600 watts solar panels and 2000 watt inverter. The surge protector indicated “reverse polarity”. I flipped the 50A breaker off, then back on and surge protector said all was good. Also plugged in truck and kept it running. The solar controller came back on line and indicated charge. Batteries indicated 10.8 at that time and were soon at 11.8v. All seemed good. By now we could operate the slides. After about an hour realized we weren’t getting any power to any outlets, and faint beeping from inverter. Wife also turned on hot water heater to electricity. I flipped the 50 amp breaker off, then back on and pedestal power went off. Tried plugging only surge protector into neighbors pedestal. Indicated all ok. Plugged cord in to surge protector and flipped breaker on. Blew that pedestal as well, with nothing turned on in trailer.
Not sure what to try next. Do I dare plugging in to 20 or 30 amp plugs on a third pedestal?
We’re supposed to leave on Saturday to go to the Rose Bowl and I’m frantic.

Chaseurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Do you have an EMS or surge protector that can tell you if the power at the pedastal is wired correctly? Sounds like there's a short somewhere
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:51 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
You have to sectionalize the fault. I'd start by turning off the two 50-amp breakers in the panel inside your 5'er. Then turn the power back on at the pedestal. If it holds the problem is inside the 5'er beyond your breaker panel. If it pops it is between the plug on your umbilical and your inside panel.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
Helpful Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #29946
Power Cord Reel

Do you have a Power Cord Reel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user1462_pic1177_1532980362.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	10823  
Helpful Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Chaseurs
Established Member

M.O.C. #21204
After some investigation we determined that the trouble must be the Go Power 2000 watt inverter / charger. Power from the umbilical cord goes directly to the inverter, then to the batteries to charge or to the fuse / breaker box. We opened up the inverter, disconnected those two lines, and connected them together. The original converter / charger had been disconnected. We put that device back in line. Viola, it all works as it was constructed at the factory. We’re back in business. Now hoping Go Power will replace that unit with a new one. Otherwise it’s $1600. Thanks to y’all who provided advice.
I’d be interested in knowing how an inverter is installed at the factory. This one was wired direct, with no breaker or switch protection in advance.
Thanks
Chaseurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:39 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Is your Go Power an inverter/charger/transfer switch? Still don’t understand how it was working when you left and it wasn’t when you came back. On our Super Solar, shore power comes through our EMS to our 3000 watt Magnum inverter/charger/transfer switch. We had an issue with the original EMS which was a PD Transfer Switch. It would not latch and we ended up with an issue similar to your description - battery not charged. Battleborn shut off at around 11.8 v.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #7
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseurs View Post
After some investigation we determined that the trouble must be the Go Power 2000 watt inverter / charger. Power from the umbilical cord goes directly to the inverter, then to the batteries to charge or to the fuse / breaker box. We opened up the inverter, disconnected those two lines, and connected them together. The original converter / charger had been disconnected. We put that device back in line. Viola, it all works as it was constructed at the factory. We’re back in business. Now hoping Go Power will replace that unit with a new one. Otherwise it’s $1600. Thanks to y’all who provided advice.
I’d be interested in knowing how an inverter is installed at the factory. This one was wired direct, with no breaker or switch protection in advance.
Thanks
That's one of the reasons I went with all Victron and researched a lot like AM Solar for how to connect everything. Mine has been flawless since the start, I did all the work myself, 600AH, 3,000W hybrid inverter (a newer model is even better) 6x180W solar. Good luck.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote