Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #1
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Furnace issue could not believe the fix.

Coming back from CA in August the furnace went out.
The symptoms:
Starts, heats up then shuts down after 15 to 20 seconds.
Noticed that if I restart it right away it shuts down faster unless than if I let it sit. When it does shut down the relay on the circuit board chatters for a minute or so then starts up again only to shutdown. The light on the circuit board indicated an air flow issue.
Trouble shooting:
Checked the fuse, then the sail switch, ohm 'ed it, took it out and pressed it manually, not the issue. Changed the circuit board and it had the same issue.
Called a mobile tech:
He went through the same steps I did, even changed the thermistor because it was obvious something was heating up and causing the shutdown because of how quick it would shut sown the second time unless you let it rest. He even called Dometic twice and found that the 12 volts was dropping to 6 when it shut down until the relay quit chattering.
The Solution:
After two hours with the tech. he happened to come around to the door side after trying it a couple of times and said a few choice words, a fuse light was on, before I could get there to look it was out, the 15 amp furnace fuse. He change the fuse and it worked. Looking closer at the fuse it was different than all the others, thicker, black and you couldn't see through it so I broke the top off and there was a resistor instead of a fusible link. The only thing we could think was that the resistor was opening up and them closing once current was removed.
Now the question, does anyone know where to get one?

GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:17 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
That is a self resetting fuse and has been identified as the gremlin on many furnace issues in the past couple of years. Consensus opinion on this forum has been to replace it with a regular 15amp fuse.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:16 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
What he wrote above!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:49 PM   #4
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
OMG--I can't believe this.
I have been chasing this issue, and just put trailer in storage to defer repair until next Jan when I get her out again. Heat always seems to fire; fires shuts off--then back on over and over. But most times shuts off and refires several times before finally staying lit. I am/was 100% confident it was the ignitor/thermocouple/flame sensor. Which needs entire heater to be pulled to be replaced.
I have 2 of the Black "Dometic 31393 15 AMP Breaker Kits". One of them the top is broke off so I ordered and got a new one from Walmart of all places. Put in drawer as I received as we were packing up. Guess I need to replace that before I take to shop for the ignitor/thermocouple/flame sensor replacement. (Dometic 35100 hyrdro flame ignitor electrode)
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:19 AM   #5
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I put a regular blue 15 Amp fuse in and it works fine. The other one is for the awning, I have another fuse for it incase it acts up.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:32 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby6 View Post

I have 2 of the Black "Dometic 31393 15 AMP Breaker Kits". One of them the top is broke off so I ordered and got a new one from Walmart of all places. Put in drawer as I received as we were packing up.
I am certainly not an expert on this only knowing what I read on this forum. If I were you, I'd take that new one out of the drawer, throw it in the trash, and replace it in the drawer with a standard fuse.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:07 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Our dealer replaces that fuse on all new RV’s when they come in. Good idea, bad results.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:11 PM   #8
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Our dealer replaces that fuse on all new RV’s when they come in. Good idea, bad results.
Now that is a "GOOD" dealer!!!!!!!!!!! He needs more exposure and THANKS!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 10:11 PM   #9
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
I am certainly not an expert on this only knowing what I read on this forum. If I were you, I'd take that new one out of the drawer, throw it in the trash, and replace it in the drawer with a standard fuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby6 View Post
I have been chasing this issue, and just put trailer in storage to defer repair until next Jan when I get her out again. Heat always seems to fire; fires shuts off--then back on over and over. But most times shuts off and refires several times before finally staying lit. I am/was 100% confident it was the ignitor/thermocouple/flame sensor. Which needs entire heater to be pulled to be replaced.
I have 2 of the Black "Dometic 31393 15 AMP Breaker Kits". One of them the top is broke off so I ordered and got a new one from Walmart of all places. Put in drawer as I received as we were packing up. Guess I need to replace that before I take to shop for the ignitor/thermocouple/flame sensor replacement. (Dometic 35100 hyrdro flame ignitor electrode)
Put the new one in and no issues—headed into week3 this year. Thanks all for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Thought about it and that was plan but I spent the money and wanted to try that one first. You ain’t wrong by a long shot. First issue I encounter with furnace or awning that will be strap #1.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote