Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2022, 11:26 PM   #1
Fabcin23
Established Member

M.O.C. #30388
Washer/Dryer in slideout

We finally decided to purchase a washer/dryer non vented machine for our 5th wheel. the only problem is that we have a montana high country 335bh and the machine sits inside of the slide. When we use it the rv moves like an earthquake is taking place. Any way of minimizing the shake?

Fabcin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:38 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We have a Splendid stackable washer and dryer. There is no way to eliminate the "shaking" except to better balance the load in the washing machine. There truly is a fine "balancing" act going on there. Too much in the washer and it doesn't spin right, or gets off balance. Too little and everything shifts to one spot causing an unbalance, causing excessive shake. It takes time and usage to figure out exactly how to load the washer. But once you hit the sweet spot ... yes, you still get some shake, but it's not so horrible.

Ours is not anchored down. I removed the anchor screws so it is free floating. But I also put wedges around the base of the washer against the washer and against the wall so it would not move around when it running or traveling. Removing the anchor screws helped eliminate a lot of the shake also. The machine still shakes, but not being affixed to the camper itself, it eliminates a lot of trailer shake.

These are the only two tips I can offer.

I just asked my wife how she does the "balancing act. She just told me the machine can be filled only about half way. More causes an unbalance. When doing towels, she can put only 3 towels in at a time, nothing else. Any more and it gets too heavy causing an unbalance and with ours, will error out.

But regardless, they all shake the trailer. It's not like they are in a house sitting on a concrete floor and no matter how bad they shake, on a concrete floor the shaking is never felt anywhere in the house.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:58 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a non vented washer and dryer. That will not be your only problem. Getting things dry in a reasonable time will.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have the vented version. I put a heavy rubber mat from Lowes underneath, 3/4 of an inch, the unit, and that made a big difference with the vibration issue.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
You need to have a vented one for best results
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
As has been said a vented, stackable combo is the only way to go...but that doesn't address your issue.

The unit being in a slide greatly increases the problem simply because the slide itself is "suspended". Balancing, load etc. have been mentioned and help. I use a tripod stabilizer at the pin which helps greatly but my w/d is in the nose. In your case the wiggle will come from the movement of the slide and the way it affects the rest of the trailer. Xchocks help (tires will jiggle), tripod stabilizer, JT strong arm stabilizers (BAL makes the same thing)...many options. All depends on how badly you want the "shake" gone - and you will never make it "go away".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:48 AM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
You have options. They make slideout stabilizer jacks (see screen shot below from a google search - you should also search amazon). That slide in your unit is a BAL cable slide mechanism. You can lightly snug these stabilizers under the outer corners of the slide and it will improve the vibration transfer and movement. We used stabilizers under the big living room cable slides on our 2017 Laredo 330RL travel trailer and it greatly improved the camper shake rattle and roll.

These stabilizers are rarely discussed in this forum because the vast majority of large slides are thru-frame hydraulic and very stable, not prone to much movement. Also - the leveling systems on our Montana units are far superior to the crank stabilizers found on most travel trailers. My unit set-up is "solid as a rock" compared to the ALL of my past RVs and pop-ups.

I have seen them discussed extensively on our sister forum Keystone RV Owners Forum. The general vibe there is against using slide supports for various reasons. The stabilizers are intended to stabilize - NOT SUPPORT the slide. Many people do not place them properly on the slide corners and cause damage to the slide floor. Many people crank the things up too tight. If the RV settles or moves over time the situation gets worse. They are not "set and forget"...you need to monitor them daily and make adjustments as needed. As you can imagine - the vibration could cause the stabilizers to move from the location where you set them up to a bad alignment or location. Many people forget to remove them before operating the slide. I used them to snug up under the slide corners and usually had the jacks founded on the same concrete or asphalt pad where the trailer was setup - so differential movement or settling was not an issue. I was careful to align the stabilizer under the slideout wall to properly transfer load to the ground and not put stress on the slide floor.

Your slide bottom is ~6' off the ground - so you will have to find a stabilizer that can handle that height. The stabilizers are not cheap - but if they reduce the vibration to a tolerable amount - I think you will feel like it was money well spent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-12-12_05-18-41.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	13814   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-12-12_05-02-42.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	13815   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-12-12_05-08-05.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	13816   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-12-12_05-45-38.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	13817  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:18 PM   #8
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
Another water leak caution

Be very weary of any plumbing fixtures in a slide. I have a MH that had a kitchen sink in a slide. The movement ripped the end of the flexible drain hose off the grey tank fitting. After washing the dishes discovered water on the floor. Tough to work on too.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 08:13 PM   #9
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
We have a Ventless dryer
Worst purchase we ever made. Going back to a Splendide in 2023. On the road for 17 years.
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:32 PM   #10
Bedford

M.O.C. #32247
Yes, very true we have a 3855BR. Had stackable system put in our bedroom closet. When it goes into the spin cycle, we too can feel machine throughout our 5th wheel. Our stackable was installed professionally and vented. (2022)
Bedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:52 AM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
You have options. They make slideout stabilizer jacks (see screen shot below from a google search - you should also search amazon). That slide in your unit is a BAL cable slide mechanism. You can lightly snug these stabilizers under the outer corners of the slide and it will improve the vibration transfer and movement. We used stabilizers under the big living room cable slides on our 2017 Laredo 330RL travel trailer and it greatly improved the camper shake rattle and roll.

These stabilizers are rarely discussed in this forum because the vast majority of large slides are thru-frame hydraulic and very stable, not prone to much movement. Also - the leveling systems on our Montana units are far superior to the crank stabilizers found on most travel trailers. My unit set-up is "solid as a rock" compared to the ALL of my past RVs and pop-ups.

I have seen them discussed extensively on our sister forum Keystone RV Owners Forum. The general vibe there is against using slide supports for various reasons. The stabilizers are intended to stabilize - NOT SUPPORT the slide. Many people do not place them properly on the slide corners and cause damage to the slide floor. Many people crank the things up too tight. If the RV settles or moves over time the situation gets worse. They are not "set and forget"...you need to monitor them daily and make adjustments as needed. As you can imagine - the vibration could cause the stabilizers to move from the location where you set them up to a bad alignment or location. Many people forget to remove them before operating the slide. I used them to snug up under the slide corners and usually had the jacks founded on the same concrete or asphalt pad where the trailer was setup - so differential movement or settling was not an issue. I was careful to align the stabilizer under the slideout wall to properly transfer load to the ground and not put stress on the slide floor.

Your slide bottom is ~6' off the ground - so you will have to find a stabilizer that can handle that height. The stabilizers are not cheap - but if they reduce the vibration to a tolerable amount - I think you will feel like it was money well spent.
Mike you're getting way to proficient at marking up docs!
Old 01-20-2023, 09:02 AM   #12
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Maybe run the washer with the slide in???
I don't know if that's possible or not.

I would be concerned about having a ventless dryer with the humidity being dumped into the rig.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote