Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Bud and Monti
Established Member

M.O.C. #2223
Surround Sound????

We have a new 2005 2955rl Montana, we have only got to use it twice since buying it in Oct of 2004 , as work duty calls first. Everything seems to be working so far except for the surround sound-- the small speakers over the recliners do not work. One of them just buzzes and the other is just dead. We have done everything except stand on our head to try and get this to work. Is there anyone out there that has had this problem and has come up with a solution. We were wanting to try and see if we could do something ourselves before confronting the dealer.I have read the book that comes with it and done everything it said with no success. I understand that these systems are not high quality units but,all is working except for the small speakers over the recliners . Right where speakers are needed the most. I have read where some of you have changed the systems out. Is that a hard thing to do as the wires seem to be in the walls?? Would appreciate anyones input on this. Thanks

Bud and Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Take it back to the dealer Mine was wired wrong they rewired it and it work very well now
Old 02-19-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
We found that our speakers were connected to the wrong terminals on the back of our unit when we got it. So the wrong speakers were activated when the music came on. Also, one wire was not connected to the back of one of the speakers so it did not work at all.

You can check each of your speakers by disconnecting them in turn at the back of the unit. Take a 1 1/2 volt flashlight battery and touch the wires for each speaker in turn. You should get one click when connecting the wires across the battery. In this way, you can determine that the correct speaker is attached to the correct terminals on your unit.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Does anyone have the what appears to be the woofer up in there cabinet next to the wall going up the stairs? It is held by a velco strap? I can't understand why it would be in the cabinet..can anyone help me understand this?
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
Montana_1750
Established Member

M.O.C. #1750
Ya Campbud My woofer is in that same cabinet why i do not know?????
I would like to know also.
Montana_1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:45 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al tells me a subwoofer can be anywhere in the unit, because it is non-directional, you hear the low frequency base, you can hear it no matter where the subwoofer is installed. In your stickbuilt, it is suggested by some that you place the subwoofer on the floor. Seeing that our floor space is so priceless, the subwoofer is found stuck in different holes in the Montanas. In the 3295RK's we have seen it is in the storage area beside the refrigerator. Not my choice, talk about using up a great hunk of really important storage!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by campbud

Does anyone have the what appears to be the woofer up in there cabinet next to the wall going up the stairs? It is held by a velco strap? I can't understand why it would be in the cabinet..can anyone help me understand this?
Yep ours is there too hav never heard it yet, but I havent put any movies in it yet either.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
My 2 rear speakers only work when playing a DVD movie. When watching a TV show that is in surround sound, playing the stereo(FM station), all we get is static from the 2 rear speakers. We have to listen to TV sound and turn surround system off to watch TV. Is everyone's system like this?

Our sub-woofer is in the cabinet beside the fridge too.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Yes ours also. The TV picture is fuzzy when we have the surround sound on. Our sub-woofer is in the back of the cabinet over the TV. I think they refer to it as the entertainment center. This is just another reason why this is a lousy system.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #10
JackHI
Established Member

M.O.C. #938
I moved the woofer from the original cabinet to the space above the cabinets above the microwave. Ran wires through the cabinet above the fridg and secured the box down with velcro. Now I don't have to open the cabinet door to hear the woofer sounds.
JackHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2002dura

My 2 rear speakers only work when playing a DVD movie. When watching a TV show that is in surround sound, playing the stereo(FM station), all we get is static from the 2 rear speakers. We have to listen to TV sound and turn surround system off to watch TV. Is everyone's system like this?

Our sub-woofer is in the cabinet beside the fridge too.
I have found if you select one of the augzilary chanels the rear speakers will work when you have the surround system on
Old 03-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
My husband bought one of those 4 switch controls at Home Depot and hooked everything to that. We also added a multi CD player we had. Now if we want DVD we push a button, also a button for TV and etc. The control was around $17 to $18 dollars. The switch is behind the doors where the DVD player and etc. We also added a VCR up there and there is a button for that one too. We still have some favorite movies in VCR. We have the 2004 3295 Montana. Our Woofer is also in the cabinet beside the fridge! The curio cabinet would have been a better place for that. But would be a pain to move all wires over there.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Hey Dusty & Don,
Can you share a wiring diagram and the details of the switch for a non-electrician? I sure would like to try and set up a better working system. I also would like to add a multi-cd changer to the system in out 2980RL. Our woofer is in the cabinet over the stereo system. What a waste of space.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Dick Driver
rldriver
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
First get the 4 button switch from Home Depot. Video switch. There is a drawing that comes with the switch. Take the 3 plugs that go down to the TV,(disconnect from DVD) (red, white and yellow). Put them on the inputs of one of the switch positions. Then you need 3 more cables red, white and yellow (Home depot or Radio shack or an electronic place) those go to another input of the switch, to CD player, and another set on the output of the switch to the DVD player, this is a little confusing but with the switch drawing and this it will make sense. Cables are about $5 or $6 bucks.
Don
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote