Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #1
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Refrigerator Excessive Condensation

I have a Norcold 2188S.
It cools fine, but I feel its always running and condensation is excessive and the drip pan inside isn't a perfect fit and I am tired of wiping out water that drips down into the unit 1-2 times a day. and having paper towels under the drip pan to catch what I can.

Initially I had on 5-6 setting and noticed no issues. (about a month)
While in VA; I winterized unit for 2 weeks, but left unit plugged in and used fridge/freezer. Temps did get into 20's a few nights.

When we unwinterized and left / arrived at next destination, tray had fallen out water everywhere and couple of chunks of ice in there.
Of course the drain hose disconnected and I couldn't for the life of me to get it to re connect because it was cold. So tray continued to fall out and not fit snug in the back and just drained inside. So I bought new vinyl hose from lowes; ran that new line (installed it) and made sure I put the plug back in the end. I even have some plastic pieces under the inside tray holding it as tight as possible.
Freezer had a lot of Ice in the back; so I defrosted it. Ice not building back, so that is good.

#1 That plug in the end is a solid plug. It won't allow anything to drain into the outside tray? I have drained a full solo cup of water after a day or 2? (I just pulled plug and going to try and let it drip into outside tray. as I am parked for 2 more days.

#2 We have tried increasing temp to 6 with no difference. I am trying 8 now. Maybe my temp is not cold enough??

Any similar experience, thoughts, or idea's from you all??

Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
1. Check your door seals and the center flap. Good door seals keep it cooler and keep humidity out. Close a piece of paper in the door seal and try to pull it out. It should be difficult to pull out. Repeat all the way around ALL doors AND the center flap.

2. Make sure the center flap closes every time. Some drag on the bottom and it doesn't close allowing air in/out. You can adjust by removing the door hinge cover, loosen the bolts and adjusting the door so the flap closes easily.

3. On the outside access panel, locate the white rubber drain hose. Pull the white end cap out and throw it away. Take a piece of weed whacker trimmer string and run it through the hose to clear any obstructions. Heat the hose so it is pliable and bend it to fit properly on the drip tray. Reinstall the drip tray. I Wedge folded paper into the groove to keep it tight.

Make sure the rubber hose isn't anywhere near the burner chimney. Mine was stuck behind it and had burn marks on it.
ALSO look for a plastic envelope with the fridge diagram in it mounted behind the burner chimney.
You can see it in the picture.
Remove it and put it with your RV documents.
THIS IS A FIRE HAZARD I have repeatedly told Nordcold AND Keystone Montana about.
They continue to ignore this hazard!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold fridge fire hazard paper next to chimney 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	13826  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #3
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
1. Paper slides out a little easier than I would like, but it appears all are sealing correctly.

2. Center flap seems to be closing just fine.

3. I already replaced drain hose--its draining now with plug out--but still getting additional moisture below the inside tray. Paper towels I put there still getting wet. Also, when I replaced, I ensured it was away from chimney. I did remove that paperwork, but I don't feel it was a huge hazard. Better safe than sorry.

Since my original post there is about 3/4" of water in the outside tray. I suspect it will not evaporate quickly enough--So I will monitor and if it does get too full, I'll get it out with a sponge before it spills and allow water to get into wood under and behind fridge.

Looking at pic you sent; rust and water level marks show yours filled outside pan and overflowed. So maybe they all have excessive condensation? I just need to get it all outside of the fridge via this hose -- vice alot of droplets getting below the inside catch tray. If I get it outside, I could extend hoe outside of unit if need be.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If your humidity where you are is very high, you might be better off running the end of the drain hose out through the vent cover instead of into the drain pan. The high humidity might not be allowing the drain water to evaporate from the plastic pan.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Question

Been in Virginia last couple days--MUCH colder temps and no issues....
Old 12-21-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm not sure what kind of refrigerator you have. In my 3 previous travel trailers, which all had gas/electric absorption RV refrigerators, they all had a drain hose the was fed through the outside refrigerator vents. Maybe more recent models have changed that. But if that catch pan is the problem, then why no just go ahead and run the hose through the outside vents and let it drip outside the camper. Like I said, this is the way they use to do it and there was never any problems with that. The reason for the funky plug at the end of the hose was to keep bugs and spiders from crawling up the hose.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 03:43 PM   #7
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Yea I’m over that plug. Will put it in when I store it.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:02 PM   #8
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
You mentioned freezing weather in the 20’s??
Check your Ambient switches to make sure they are on when you have freezing weather. These switches keep the frig and freezer from freezing over in freezing weather.
Check your owners manual.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:06 PM   #9
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Thanks I’m in warmer weather now.