Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2023, 02:05 PM   #1
dasjlm
Established Member

M.O.C. #31979
Bedroom slide goes out but not in

I have a 2011 Keystone Montana 3455sa with a bedroom slide that goes out great but does not go back in. I took off the plywood board and confirmed the slide is an hydraulic slide.

To confirm problem I pushed in the bedroom slide button for a second and gear shaft turns but the bed doesn't move.

The slide appears to be closed perfectly.

Suspect there is something wrong with the cylinder so I will need to call in a tech. Just curious if it's possibly a stripped gear?

Anyone else had similar issue and if so what did it turn to be.

Thanks in advance
John

dasjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasjlm View Post
I have a 2011 Keystone Montana 3455sa with a bedroom slide that goes out great but does not go back in. I took off the plywood board and confirmed the slide is an hydraulic slide.

To confirm problem I pushed in the bedroom slide button for a second and gear shaft turns but the bed doesn't move.
Huh? Gear shaft? The hydraulic ram pushes and pulls the bed frame out and in. There are no gears to turn.

Quote:
The slide appears to be closed perfectly.
Do you mean the slide is OPEN tightly as it should be? If it doesn't close then I don't understand how it "appears to be closed perfectly".

Quote:
Suspect there is something wrong with the cylinder so I will need to call in a tech. Just curious if it's possibly a stripped gear?

Anyone else had similar issue and if so what did it turn to be.

Thanks in advance
John
I believe the hydraulic ram, or the bed frame itself, has become disconnected from the wall. It can be pushed out as the exterior wall is at the end of the ram/bed attachment. But when you retract, only the ram/bed portion moves leaving the exterior wall where it was.

This is not an uncommon problem. I would expect to find some dry rot in the bed bed frame when you remove the rest of the plywood cover.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:37 PM   #3
dasjlm
Established Member

M.O.C. #31979
Thanks for info. I thought there might have been some gears involved. It seems a bit odd goes out okay if you push back in, but doesn't go in. Given the end of the hydraulic cylinder bolt pushes on the inside end of bed it's turning okay but bed not moving so probably correct something is disconnected. I'll take a closer look on Tue.
Thanks John
Old 01-09-2023, 07:30 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Image shows typical Lippert bedroom cradle slide. Red arrow points to where cradle is mounted to wall and would move to pull slide back in..

Yellow arrows identify hud cylinder and extend/return lines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74FAB9E5-6F87-4780-BB78-5FC16A1AE0A4.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	13908  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This is what my 2011 looks like under the bed, so it's a bit different configuration that what was previously posted ... The photo could be way better, but it was taken years ago. The hyd cylinder is bolted to a metal bracket which is in turn carriage bolted to a plywood backer on to the outer slide skin. You may be lucky in that the outer nut has simply come off the threaded end of the cylinder. The cylinder goes thru the metal bracket and is captured by two nuts on either side of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01461.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	13910  
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:17 PM   #6
dasjlm
Established Member

M.O.C. #31979
It appears there was some water damage so the end of the plywood where the 4 bolts were connected gave way. I was able to get the black cover back and looks like I can repair by cutting away the bad plywood and replacing it. The owner I bought the rig from had replaced the seals but it looks like damage was already done. The top of the slideout, the windows, etc look good but I will double check to make sure after seeing the water damage. A bit of a project, but could have been worse. Thanks to everyone for their tips.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have an 2011 3455sa. All the br slides are notorious for the bottom trim outside allowing water to get in on the top of it. The joint on the top side of the lower outside trim needs to be recalked every once in a while.
With the slide (out) press up on the underside of the slide floor around the edges looking for soft spots. If anything is mushy feeling you have issues, and the slide floor will need to be replaced.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote