Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2022, 04:42 PM   #1
GMP
Established Member

M.O.C. #26351
Hydraulic Landing Gear Drop

I had unit setting for 7 weeks with all 6 pads down and level. I hooked up and retracted gear and pulled out of the space. I looked in my mirrors and saw the left front pad down about half way. When I got out I noticed the mid right pad had dropped a little. I retracted again and went in. About 2 hours later I stopped and another pad had dropped. I retracted again and went on another 200 miles. No more issues. When we stopped this afternoon landing gear and leveling worked normal. Any thoughts as to issue? Thanks . Don

2020 Montana 3121rl

GMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
It sounds like it might be the spool valve. It acts as a check valve and passes fluid in two directions. Lower and retract. There could have been debris preventing it from sealing allowing gravity to extend the cylinders. A common problem in any hydraulic system. I dont have hydraulic legs on my Montana so I don't know if they incorporate a filter but if so I'd start by changing it followed by draining the and replacing the fluid. The fact that it is holding pressure now you may not experience it again. It's good practice to operate hydraulics on a regular basis to keep the seals wet.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:00 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Our 2019 doesn't have any filters in the hydraulic system.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:28 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't have a ready answer for the dropping other than air in system or maybe a solenoid valve that temporarily didn't seat as the OP says all works now. I will put forth a bit of LCI hydraulics info at least up to 2019. They've always kept level up hydraulics simple as to the plumbing. There is no filter other than a suction screen in the reservoir. There are no directional (spool) valves to operate in or out ... up or down. The pump turns counterclockwise to extend ... clockwise to retract via the trombetta on top of the pump motor. There is an extend and a retract manifold plumbed off the main pump with 12 VDC solenoids that activate the manifolds and or needed jack cylinders. The 2 front jacks which are larger operate together, the right side mid and rear jacks which are a bit smaller are plumbed and operate together as are the left side. The controller with the input of the front and rear level sensors makes the auto level happen via the above-mentioned manifolds and solenoids. There is manual override procedure involving a set screw atop one of the solenoids and an electric drill with a 1/4" allen bit laid out in the level up manual. I'd not recommend changing out the fluid unless a catastrophic pump failure occurred ... flushing the old oil out of the cylinders aside from just changing the reservoir oil would be a job. You'd spend a goodly amount of time purging the air out of every line on your rig.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:42 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Either the Hydac valve on the front LG didn’t fully seat mechanically ( it’s normally closed when power is off via a spring ), you have air in the system , or you have an internal leak on one of the front LG

The LG are connected in tandem so what halogens to one happens to the other

I’d first cycle the front LG 3 to 5 times to purge any air out..allowing pump motor to cool off between cycles

Verify no external leaks at any of the JiC 37 fittings for the LG themselves as well as at the extend and retract manifolds

Check the manual over ride screw located on the end of the Hydac valve on the front LG..it should be snug CCW..

If issues persists then it’s a simple test to perform an internal leak bypass test

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001910.pdf
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #6
GMP
Established Member

M.O.C. #26351
Thanks for the replies. Good information. We traveled again today..no issues. Don
GMP is offline   Reply With Quote