Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Remove AC vent

OK, I need to remove AC vent. Does it just snap off? I have twisted and pulled to the point of breaking it. Is there a trick?
Pictured vent in question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0504.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	4358  

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Where each one of those notches are around the edge are clips underneath. We usually just grab a butter knife to use to pry the edge of the vent cover up and it will pop right off. On the ceiling, I would recommend putting a thin putty knife under the edge first and pry with the knife against the surface of the putty knife blade so you don't damage the surface of the ceiling. We have one of these also on the floor in the toilet area and don't need anything to protect the floor when removing the vent.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
Slip your fingers around the edge and pull down. They snap on/off. Wigged me out my first time, but have done a bunch since. If they are old, as with all things plastic, they may be brittle and worst case, they are pretty inexpensive to replace. (If you break it, go with a version that allows more air flow. Could be a win if it breaks because you'll have a reason to upgrade?)
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In your picture there are three little indentations. Those are holding it on to a plastic ring just inside of it. Gently pop them off and you will have acess to the mount that goes into the ducts. The mount is held on with screws and if you take the screws out you can then cut the mounts shaft down so it doesn't protrude into the duct. Then screw the mount back in and snap the vent in place.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:57 AM   #5
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Thanks to all. While removed I plan to cut the excessive protrusion but the main reason is to take it to a paint store and have a small amount of paint mixed to match. My ceiling tile the AC is mounted in has black streak stains that I haven't been able to remove, I suspect condensation on top of the tile but haven't proved that yet. I have an endoscope but haven't used it yet.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:54 PM   #6
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Thank you for the post. I have a 2017 Montana 3000RE.
When I close and open my door in my bedroom I can hear something “clacking” in ceiling around the ac vents. Any have any input? It is bugging me!
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote