Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #1
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Slide topper tube issue

So replaced fabric of my three slide toppers and all is well with that. What isn't well is that the front most end cap on my dining slide has a real serious wobble. I found the problem and repair explained on another forum so i know what i need to do. The cause of the wobble - the end caps are aluminum and the center hole where the steel shaft of the spring assembly exits to fit into the arm assembly has gone oblong. ALL of my end caps have some slight oblong wear, but my dining slide topper has major wear. End caps can be bought with a new spring assembly only! Several repair methods were explained at : iRv2.com/forums/154/dometic-a-and-e-slide-topper-end-cap-repair . I THINK i can pin both ends of the tube assembly and then remove the hex extension and arm as one piece, leaving the shaft of the topper assembly exposed and showing the slotted out end cap. Then i can apply one of the washer repairs to the end cap and put the arm assembly back in place...all while everything is still attached to the slide out. IF YOU WANT TO CHECK OUT YOUR WOBBLE, just unroll a little topper fabric off the tube and while holding it slightly unwound...try moving that end of the tube up and down or sideways. The irv2 forum description of this issue is great reading! John

jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have that wobble on my dining room slide topper.
I used a 90⁰ metal wood joining bracket cut to fit and placed over the worn out part of the end cap. It's working for now but I would like to replace the end caps altogether.
I have not found any place you can order just the end caps.
I tried your link to IRV2 but it no longer works.
Anyone have any luck with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide topper axle worn out.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	12771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Topper axle fix.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	12772  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:47 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I tried your link to IRV2 but it no longer works.
Anyone have any luck with this?....
Try this link Dometic/A&E Slide Topper End Caps Repair at IRV2

I think this is the Thread the OP referenced.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Thanks Carl. I found the fix one of the respondents incorporated using two different sized washers welded together, then screwed onto the end caps will work well.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The fix i used was basically a washer with the right size opening for the shaft that i drilled 3 holes equally spaced around its surface. I pop rivited this centered onto the end cap. There is a plastic spacer onnthe shaft that will need to be made thinner, but that was pretty easy. So it was easy also to pin the roller, then just take apart the support arm on the bad end cap and do what i needed to do on a ladder to install the "fix". The slide topper still works great today and i would have no doubt that i would do this again if i needed to. However, we bought a house in rio rancho, nm and the rv sits at santa fe skies while we drive back and forth between rv and house doing things to prepare to move in. Rv will go on sell as soon as we can clean, wash, and wax. I think it will be priced appropriately somewhere close to 30k given that we added 8k morryde I.S. and kodiak disc brakes as well as the step above entry stairs...as well as MCD shades throughout a couple of years ago. After 10 years of fulltiming, it is hard to leave it behind. John
Old 08-14-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
have not really looked at my toppers, i used to have a american coach revolution 2007 going thru texas i passed a semi and the whole awning freewheeled. got to the side of the road and it was very windy, was able to Macgyver the awning back in by backrolling and secured it using baleing wire and ducttape. when i got home to mi took it apart and found out the only thing to keep it from doing this was a flat spot on the white metal capon the end it had rounded it out and the suction passing the semi let it free wheel. just like you said i would have had to buy the complete motor assembly to get the end cap. the othe side was a dummy cap the same, i flopped them and drilled and inserted a roll pin. not sure if this would work on the toppers but i am going to look at mine to see. best of luck
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote