Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2023, 02:49 PM   #1
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Matching Question

I have a 2020 HC 295rl and I'm brand new to all of this, so please excuse my ignorance. I'm having to figure things out for myself.
I want to remove the microwave and utilize that space for a shelf.
Removing the microwave seems simple enough. It's mounted directly to the cabinet above. The advice I'm seeking is:
1) Would you do this yourself?
2) If yes, (or for any other repairs/additions), how can I match it to the existing cabinetry?
The color in my model is a wood grain light gray/beige. What I would call "driftwood".

Any other suggestions/advice are also welcome.
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11b3c8040d24e2597442c9b40d4c6168.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	15796  

GigiGetsAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:13 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Be advised if you remove the Microwave you'll be left with a hole in the wall where the microwave vents to the outside. At least there is on a normal RV install. Maybe someone with that model will verify.
Old 10-25-2023, 06:11 PM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Yes, there will likely be a vent on the back...easy enough to cover. Just leave the outside vent cover and trim out the interior the way you want. Anything is doable with the right tools and skill set.

Stain matching can be a little tricky but it's doable. Our interior has darker wood. I did some work and had to experiment with different stains and woods to get pretty close. I did it...just took a little time.

Looking at the stain samples on different woods in Home Depot or Lowes was where I started. Take a small cabinet door with you to compare.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:58 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiGetsAround View Post
I have a 2020 HC 295rl and I'm brand new to all of this, so please excuse my ignorance. I'm having to figure things out for myself.
I want to remove the microwave and utilize that space for a shelf.
Removing the microwave seems simple enough. It's mounted directly to the cabinet above. The advice I'm seeking is:
1) Would you do this yourself?
2) If yes, (or for any other repairs/additions), how can I match it to the existing cabinetry?
The color in my model is a wood grain light gray/beige. What I would call "driftwood".

Any other suggestions/advice are also welcome.
Thank you!
Hi Gigi, I have the same model. There is no vent on the microwave on this model. Should be easy to remove. Not sure what the wall behind it looks like. May have to do some cosmetics. As far as matching the finish, I'd order a panel from a keystone dealer. They typically have material in stock for repairs. At least mine does. Feel free to ask away. I know mine inside and out. Most of it
Old 10-25-2023, 06:59 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I just googled REPLACE MICROWAVE here in the forum and read a few threads on the subject. The microwave is heavy…maybe a two person job. Put blocks under it to hold it up before you remove the top bolts…then lift it off the wall bracket.
Here are some pics of what you might find behind your microwave. Concerning matching the stain - I just saw this on a YouTube video from CHANGING LANES YouTube channel. In his newest video he shows how he matched the stain on a “cabinet door” he added in his Grand Design fifth wheel. It might not be your exact color - but you will need to go thru the same process until you come up with a satisfactory match in your eyes. I have no idea if Keystone will provide you with a stain color name or number - but I would not count on it. Adding a shelf and getting the stain right would test my carpentry skills.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1679.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	15797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	15798  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:04 PM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
She has a HC, not stained wood. Veneered and no vent. The ash finish is still used and available.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:26 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Don't know if you noticed, but the last picture above shows the metal mounting bracket that the microwave hooks on. Mounting involves hooking the back of the unit on to this metal strip and then lifting up the front of the unit and bolt it solid.

So not sure how you get rid of this metal strip and make it look nice.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 03:41 AM   #8
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Be advised if you remove the Microwave you'll be left with a hole in the wall where the microwave vents to the outside. At least there is on a normal RV install. Maybe someone with that model will verify.
Thank you!
Old 10-26-2023, 03:42 AM   #9
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Yes, there will likely be a vent on the back...easy enough to cover. Just leave the outside vent cover and trim out the interior the way you want. Anything is doable with the right tools and skill set.

Stain matching can be a little tricky but it's doable. Our interior has darker wood. I did some work and had to experiment with different stains and woods to get pretty close. I did it...just took a little time.

Looking at the stain samples on different woods in Home Depot or Lowes was where I started. Take a small cabinet door with you to compare.
Thank you so much. Great advice.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:44 AM   #10
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Hi Gigi, I have the same model. There is no vent on the microwave on this model. Should be easy to remove. Not sure what the wall behind it looks like. May have to do some cosmetics. As far as matching the finish, I'd order a panel from a keystone dealer. They typically have material in stock for repairs. At least mine does. Feel free to ask away. I know mine inside and out. Most of it
I will reach out to them. It seems that may be the simplest route. I really appreciate your help.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:48 AM   #11
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Don't know if you noticed, but the last picture above shows the metal mounting bracket that the microwave hooks on. Mounting involves hooking the back of the unit on to this metal strip and then lifting up the front of the unit and bolt it solid.

So not sure how you get rid of this metal strip and make it look nice.
Once I get the microwave out I'll be able to make a better decision. I may remove the bracket, fill the holes and yhen just use a piece to cover it as a backing to the shelf. I think that will look the least "edited".
Old 10-26-2023, 05:28 AM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
You can probably find a "peel and stick" type of tile to look good with your existing backsplash and put it over the area where the microwave was located. Depending upon your shelf and how you utilize the space, a simple 1/4" plywood stained to match might work to suffice.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:20 AM   #13
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
You can probably find a "peel and stick" type of tile to look good with your existing backsplash and put it over the area where the microwave was located. Depending upon your shelf and how you utilize the space, a simple 1/4" plywood stained to match might work to suffice.
That's a great idea. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2023, 06:57 PM   #14
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Gigi, my suggestion is to remove the microwave. Then build a shelving unit with a back on it to cover whatever needs to be covered up. Go to Home Depot with one of your cabinet doors and they will match it for you. When you remove the rail from the wall make note of where the screws are and this can be a guide to where you will screw your shelving to the wall. If nothing else, with the shelving unit having a back, you can poke all kinds of holes to find the studs. Paint the unit before mounting.

Good luck!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:13 AM   #15
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Keep in mind that a wood shelf will be less forgiving of the stove heat than the microwave is, and since there will no longer be a vent to disperse the heat, it could get very warm and damage the new wood.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #16
Bruce in DFW
Established Member

M.O.C. #28272
Trekwood RV Parts

You can usually find replacement parts, trim, panels, etc. at a Keystone dealer or at Trekwood RV Parts (Trekwood.com).
Bruce in DFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:22 AM   #17
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
Gigi, we also have the same model as you have. Here is a photo of our stove area without the microwave mounted. You can clearly see the mounting bar. My wife just purchased some peel and stick tiles to change up the color of the backsplash. That is an alternative for you as well. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	15836  
2021 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins, Airlift 5000, PullRite Superglide #2315
Sr. Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 12:20 PM   #18
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
Gigi, my suggestion is to remove the microwave. Then build a shelving unit with a back on it to cover whatever needs to be covered up. Go to Home Depot with one of your cabinet doors and they will match it for you. When you remove the rail from the wall make note of where the screws are and this can be a guide to where you will screw your shelving to the wall. If nothing else, with the shelving unit having a back, you can poke all kinds of holes to find the studs. Paint the unit before mounting.

Good luck!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your suggestions!
Old 10-30-2023, 12:21 PM   #19
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
Keep in mind that a wood shelf will be less forgiving of the stove heat than the microwave is, and since there will no longer be a vent to disperse the heat, it could get very warm and damage the new wood.
That's a very good point. I'll have to watch out for that.
Old 10-30-2023, 12:22 PM   #20
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in DFW View Post
You can usually find replacement parts, trim, panels, etc. at a Keystone dealer or at Trekwood RV Parts (Trekwood.com).
What a great resource suggestion! Thank you! (noted)