Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2021, 02:31 PM   #21
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Quite letting that secret out about Tractor Supply, now it will all be gone next time I need some.
Can't hoard any myself, as no good place to keep them in the Rig and they won't fit under the bed.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #22
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I'm going to get about 10 gallons. Maybe more if in the mood. That should cover RVing for the next year. If that is considered greed it could be considered being prepared just as well. Either way what others spend their money on is not my business.
Old 12-25-2021, 05:50 AM   #23
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Quite letting that secret out about Tractor Supply, now it will all be gone next time I need some.
Can't hoard any myself, as no good place to keep them in the Rig and they won't fit under the bed.
Lol…Well…just trying to spread the good news. This whole def and engine oil thing is sporadic localized areas. Pre plan ahead and def will be at any truck stop across the US.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #24
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
Don’t forget Tractor Supply Carry’s DEF, Travelers is there brand and runs 10 bucks for 2.5 gallon jug.
So if it`s getting bad down under, what have they done to correct this. As much as I watch the news I didn`t realize the run on DEF until I went to buy some and found none at Walmart.
Has China given a reason they cut off Australia, are they going to cut us off to or do we get Def products from some one else that doesn't have an agenda. Not that I`m worried but if it gets any worse I`ll go get a 50 gallon drum and fill it at at truck stop and put it in the garage for next traveling season.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #25
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I have not noticed a shortage in Tri-Cities area (Eastern Washington). Last time I was at Walmart and Costco they both had lots of it on the shelves. I have a full tank in my truck and one extra container.
Happy and safe roads to you along with having plenty of DEF.

Tom Marty
Old 12-26-2021, 05:33 AM   #26
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
I work for a fuel and oil supply company in western Ky. We get our def from right here in Ky. I get all mine at work so I have no problems getting it and know exactly how old it is and where it came from.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:36 AM   #27
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Like you we're in no position to hoard so we've just "stocked up". Having no other source of transportation but the truck we have to be careful.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #28
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
So if it`s getting bad down under, what have they done to correct this. As much as I watch the news I didn`t realize the run on DEF until I went to buy some and found none at Walmart.
Has China given a reason they cut off Australia, are they going to cut us off to or do we get Def products from some one else that doesn't have an agenda. Not that I`m worried but if it gets any worse I`ll go get a 50 gallon drum and fill it at at truck stop and put it in the garage for next traveling season.
When I first started finding empty shelves at more than one store I did some research and found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-supply-chain

Things are apparently getting dire in Australia. This is the latest:

Quote:
Australia could run out of a crucial component of diesel fuel within weeks, with an expert warning nobody knows how much we have left.
The nation, along with other developed nations, has been facing an AdBlue crisis for weeks, with fears that if the additive runs out, trucks could be taken off the road, sparking a chain of shortages on supermarket shelves across the country.

Urea is a large component in fertiliser and a key ingredient in AdBlue. Australia typically imports the ingredient from China, but a recent halt on exports has had a significant effect on supply.

Transport and agriculture industries warn that without AdBlue - which can’t be made without urea - trucks could be unable to transport fresh fruit and vegetables along with other staples to supermarket shelves.

“Most trucks have to use AdBlue. The major ingredient in that is urea, and obviously China has now halted the export of urea ... 80 per cent of our urea comes from China,” Marcus Carmont, executive director of supply chain consulting firm TMX Global, told the ABC.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...2f7659289dab56

We are full timers that use our truck to not only move the "house" but also for daily transportation which is why I bought three jugs. If we still had a sticks and bricks with alternate transportation and the Montana stored somewhere I'd be less concerned.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #29
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
When I first started finding empty shelves at more than one store I did some research and found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-supply-chain

Things are apparently getting dire in Australia. This is the latest:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...2f7659289dab56

We are full timers that use our truck to not only move the "house" but also for daily transportation which is why I bought three jugs. If we still had a sticks and bricks with alternate transportation and the Montana stored somewhere I'd be less concerned.
What is China up to. Do you think they are testing another method of bringing people to their knee's with out firing a shot, kinda like the Virus?
Old 12-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #30
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
What is China up to. Do you think they are testing another method of bringing people to their knee's with out firing a shot, kinda like the Virus?
Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was some sort of retaliatory action over something.

I've been "yapping" for years about how we've made ourselves way too dependent on China.

We are so dependent they could cripple our economy in very short order.

Rotated my tires and found this on the backside of the rims:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6100.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	10835  
Old 12-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #31
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You all can buy all the DEF you want and store it but just remember there is an expiration date on the boxes and it will go bad. Just ask me! I had a DEF problem several years ago and it cost me over $10,000 total to take care of the problem. This was over a one year period but he final straw that broke the camels back was while in AZ and the bill was over $4000. The dealership could not figure out the problem and finally called in the GM engineers for help. It ended up by the dealership replacing the complete exhaust system and all the sensors. I was told there IS a difference in the DEF you buy and that the one to purchase is the Peak Blue DEF. I've been purchasing that whenever needed and keep a jug of it as a spare while traveling. I have traded the truck in that cost me all that money and have been using the Blue DEF only in the new truck. No problems and knock on wood we won't have to go through that ordeal again.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #32
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
our local Ace hardware was well stocked with DEF

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #33
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
You all can buy all the DEF you want and store it but just remember there is an expiration date on the boxes and it will go bad. Just ask me! I had a DEF problem several years ago and it cost me over $10,000 total to take care of the problem. This was over a one year period but he final straw that broke the camels back was while in AZ and the bill was over $4000. The dealership could not figure out the problem and finally called in the GM engineers for help. It ended up by the dealership replacing the complete exhaust system and all the sensors. I was told there IS a difference in the DEF you buy and that the one to purchase is the Peak Blue DEF. I've been purchasing that whenever needed and keep a jug of it as a spare while traveling. I have traded the truck in that cost me all that money and have been using the Blue DEF only in the new truck. No problems and knock on wood we won't have to go through that ordeal again.
I agree, DEF is a sensitive issue. Better be careful storing DEF, and buying, just any DEF. I know some are going to say I buy what ever is on the shelf. That is your choice. Since DEF systems was installed in the beginning, I have had no issues, I always buy Blue DEF. My choice. You replace the entire systems gets expensive, as said above. I wish I had kept the Trucks that didn't require the DEF system. But, I didn't, again thats my choice. I can say what I want to say, but, China owns us, today. Good Luck.

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #34
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
If stored between 10 and 90 degrees, it has a one year shelf life...stored at 75 will extend that to two years. It should never be used if it changes color or is three years past its manufacture date. This is gospel according to Siri.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #35
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Local Walmart had 10 boxes of Blue DEF today. But none of the cheaper brand.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #36
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I went and purchased a box on Peak Blue Def at Autozone today and Peak has changed their date coding. Now I need to find the new code info

2017 3160 RL
Old 12-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #37
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1640561404

New style date code, I’m pretty sure the first two numbers are the year -1 and the next 3 numbers are days. Instead of the plant being the first it looks like they moved it to the middle. If this is correct then this jug was manufactured on 11/12/21.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31CCF4D9-EBCE-43B0-878D-9E2427E62696.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	10841  

2017 3160 RL
Old 12-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #38
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
check that def

After doing a little research I found many people that had trouble with bad def. It cost them tons of money for repairs and down time. So if your worried about storing bulk or several cases you could buy this little gadget. Yo Tube has several video's about the problem that I didn`t know existed, I finally stopped worrying about wheel bearings now this.

Amazon of course......

https://www.amazon.com/AMTAST-Refrac...V/ref=asc_df_B
Old 12-26-2021, 05:25 PM   #39
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
After doing a little research I found many people that had trouble with bad def. It cost them tons of money for repairs and down time. So if your worried about storing bulk or several cases you could buy this little gadget. Yo Tube has several video's about the problem that I didn`t know existed, I finally stopped worrying about wheel bearings now this.

Amazon of course......

https://www.amazon.com/AMTAST-Refrac...V/ref=asc_df_B

I have a refractometer to check the coolant concentration on out machines. They do work. So if you need one get it. This is a great price I think I gave over a hundred dollars years ago.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #40
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1640561404

New style date code, I’m pretty sure the first two numbers are the year -1 and the next 3 numbers are days. Instead of the plant being the first it looks like they moved it to the middle. If this is correct then this jug was manufactured on 11/12/21.
I don't understand the date - 11/12/21. Wouldn't it be the 49th day of 2021?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote