Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
ScottN
Established Member

M.O.C. #28930
Portable Generator

My question is about portable generators that have a "companion" model with a 30A outlet (e.g., Honda EU2200i Companion). Will the 30A outlet provide power without using the parallel kit?

I know these outlets would not provide the full 30A without a second generator being connected in parallel, but it would be convenient to have the 30A outlet right on the generator without having to use adapters to go from 20A to 30A to 50A. (I have the Solar Flex 1200L-i, and the Montana Regional Representative assures me I can regulate how much electricity is pulled from the generator. So I could draw 1800-1900 watts from the generator to supplement the batteries while running an A/C, for example.)

Besides the Honda EU2200I Companion, I have not yet found other "companion" models that have the 30A outlet. For Champion and Cummins, the 30A outlet is part of the parallel cable kit. For brands that provide the 30A connect as part of a plug on the parallel kit, will the plug be "hot" even if only one generator is in use?