Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
jdereu

M.O.C. #29250
Factory Inverter Question

I currently have a 2020 with a factory 1000w inverter powering the residential fridge. My question is how can I add more plugs to this inverter circuit? I would love to have the master bedroom plugs on the inverter too..

jdereu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have 552Ah lithium batteries and a 2000w (4000w surge) inverter in the battery compartment.
I ran a line through the right side of the wall into the basement just below where the plumbing goes through the floor into the bedroom. I pulled out the bedroom chest of drawers, drawers, and fished the line through them. I installed an outlet on the side of the cabinet facing the closet door.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
CDS1
Established Member

M.O.C. #27770
If I remember correctly, there should be some plugs that are supplied by the inverter around the trailer. Just look for an orange decal on the plugs, that should indicate they can be powered by the inverter.
CDS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:44 PM   #4
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
Sorry to be off subject, but I’ve been looking for some basic inverter proper operation. I’m new to the such a complex electrical system, I have a 2021 3761FL. My last camper was 20 years ago with a Bunkhouse pull behind. While towing should I leave the inverter switch on (located by batteries) and leave the battery disconnect on (located in water center on side). I have not upgraded anything, still have two Interstate Lead Acid batteries. We are not full time, so Monty may sit in storage for a month or longer. I’ve considered a solar panel to leave a trickle charge?? I also removed batteries this winter and have them in garage on a trickle charger. Sorry for being long winded, but when on shore power should I leave inverter on? Thank You !!
Tree Top Turkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:12 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Tree Top Turkeys, it sounds like you have a residential refrigerator like mine. If so, the inverter should have a separate connection to the battery(ies) with its own cut off. Mine has a round turn style cut off in the battery compartment on the back wall. From there, the wires go directly to the inverter. If you leave that on while towing, then your fridge will run on battery power. If you leave it on while on shore power, the battery will power the fridge in the event of the electric going out. There should be an auto transfer switch after the inverter which uses shore power, when available, then battery power when shore power is not available.
The red key in the wet bay has nothing to do with this circuit or the residential fridge. However, if you turn it off, where the key can be removed, then your converter will not charge your batteries on shore power. I leave mine on all the time and I installed an extra battery disconnect on the negative post of my battery box to completely disconnect power when in storage.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:57 AM   #6
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
TTT,

Look at your inverter to see if it has a single orange wire going to it. On my 2k Magnum inverter (now replaced with 3k Victron) there was an orange wire that got power from the rig side of the disconnect (in the wet bay). Without power on that orange wire the inverter would not invert - the inverter panel inside would "appear" to function but without that orange trigger wire being hot it wouldn't invert. I found this out after a trip where the rig disconnect was off but inverter panel said it was on and inverting, it wasn't and fridge was off. Luckily we didn't lose any food before I figured this out.

I'm not sure the reasoning behind the trigger wire. I've read of some installs (not rv) where the trigger wire was just a jumper from the heavy gauge 12v input side of the inverter, therefore as long as the feed to the inverter is hot it works.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:02 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
TTT,

Look at your inverter to see if it has a single orange wire going to it. On my 2k Magnum inverter (now replaced with 3k Victron) there was an orange wire that got power from the rig side of the disconnect (in the wet bay). Without power on that orange wire the inverter would not invert - the inverter panel inside would "appear" to function but without that orange trigger wire being hot it wouldn't invert. I found this out after a trip where the rig disconnect was off but inverter panel said it was on and inverting, it wasn't and fridge was off. Luckily we didn't lose any food before I figured this out.

I'm not sure the reasoning behind the trigger wire. I've read of some installs (not rv) where the trigger wire was just a jumper from the heavy gauge 12v input side of the inverter, therefore as long as the feed to the inverter is hot it works.
Interesting, I wonder if that is a difference between my 2019 and the 2021 setups?
Old 01-13-2022, 06:20 AM   #8
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Robert,

Probably just a function of the inverter model they installed in my rig. What I referred to as a trigger is really an ignition wire for motorized vehicles. See #3 on this screenshot from manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220113-081623_Xodo Docs.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	10963  
Old 01-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
That's actually nice though. If I understand you correctly, you don't need/have a separate cut off switch for the inverter. It uses the red key in the wet bay?
Old 01-13-2022, 06:41 AM   #10
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
That's actually nice though. If I understand you correctly, you don't need/have a separate cut off switch for the inverter. It uses the red key in the wet bay?
Exactly. However, my boats never had ignition switched inverters so I didn't expect it and ass/u/me/d that if the panel inside was lit it was working. I didn't check to see if the panel status changed when the disconnect was in off position, but definitely that panel still lit up. Once I knew what the deal was it was fine. I replaced it for more functionality.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:47 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Understood. I have never turned off or removed the red key in mine since it doesn't provide any purpose for me. At least in your case, I guess it would.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:26 AM   #12
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
Thanks for the help
Inside my panel where slide buttons are located I have a single toggle switch labeled “Remote”
Someone told me that was for the inverter? Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2022, 07:29 AM   #13
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Top Turkeys View Post
Thanks for the help
Inside my panel where slide buttons are located I have a single toggle switch labeled “Remote”
Someone told me that was for the inverter? Any ideas?
None here. Do you have the In Command system?
Old 01-13-2022, 07:35 AM   #14
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
I do not think so. Not sure what that is.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:37 AM   #15
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
In Command is a system that comes with the Legacy package. It allows access to several controls through a touchscreen and some functionality on your phone via bluetooth.
https://www.keystonerv.com/innovatio...control-system
Old 01-13-2022, 07:46 AM   #16
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
Ok. Thanks. I do not Legacy. Nor do I have any touch screens on rig. Wish my dealership would have covered stuff better with us. Thankful I ran across this forum!!!!!��
Old 01-13-2022, 07:48 AM   #17
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
No worries. Someone will likely come along and be able to answer your question.
That's the great thing about this forum.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:59 AM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdereu View Post
I currently have a 2020 with a factory 1000w inverter...how can I add more plugs to this inverter circuit? ....
The same way you'd do it in a house. You add a junction box and splice into the existing electric line, or at a junction (like at the wall plug outlet), you add more wire there and run it to where ever you need it to go.

The only problem with an RV is the difficulty to run new wire throughout the camper after the camper is built. If you can find a creative way to install the wire so it isn't just laying on the floor or dangling from the ceiling, it can be done.

At the outlet for the refrigerator, tap into the the line there as that is a natural junction point and then simply run new wire wherever you want it to go. Add a new outlets and it's really just that "simple" .... except for the logistics inside an RV! Sounds simple, but no matter how you do it, it will require a LOT of work.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:52 AM   #19
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdereu View Post
I currently have a 2020 with a factory 1000w inverter powering the residential fridge. My question is how can I add more plugs to this inverter circuit? I would love to have the master bedroom plugs on the inverter too..
I just pulled the circuits out of the panel and connected them in a junction box along with the cables that are already controlled by the inverter, i.e. TV`s, Satellite Box, DVD player Refrigerator, Tower plugs, that I want to be able to run without the generators.
No issues on current draw unless I try to run a coffee pot. So I changed out the 1000 watt model for a 3000 watt model with associated cables to the new inverter and split the circuits for better power control. You can hard wire the split circuits directly to the inverter if you don`t want to mess with the inverter circuit controller. Works for me. Coffee's on.

This is the one I bought. Much cheaper on Amazon.

https://www.renogy.com/3000w-12v-pur...wave-inverter/
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #20
Mjhaa43

M.O.C. #30259
There should be a power switch by your batteries turn it on and then inside your cab you hit the remote switch for the inverter
Mjhaa43 is offline   Reply With Quote