Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2022, 05:10 PM   #1
Rangoon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21851
Stuck (full) Grey Tank

Mrs. "Rangoon" here.
On my second gray tank in the back of the RV, the valve appears to be stuck tight - possibly rusted? I discovered this because the water is backing up into my kitchen sink and I'm unable to get the gray tank open to drain. I am parked in my backyard and not able to move the RV for several months. I called a helper but he could not do it either and was afraid he would break it if he pulled too hard. He said the underbelly looks too fragile to remove in this freezing weather, and even if he did remove it he would not know how to repair the valve or put the underbelly back together.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me or YouTube videos that show how to deal with this? At least for getting the water out? Possibly siphon it???
My helper said I'm going to have to wait till spring and just leave all that water in the sink but I don't think that's a good idea at all! I watched a YouTube video that said I could pour cooking oil down it if it was empty, but nothing about what to do when it's full.
(Background: this RV was my husband's toy -2016 Bunkhouse- but he died suddenly leaving it to me to deal with, and it sat in winterized storage for about a year+ until I could get someone to move it for me. I'm staying in it while building a new house, but I know nothing about the mechanics of it and I don't have a manual. So far I've had some very good advice from you people and REALLY appreciate this forum)!

Rangoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:22 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Don't know about your model, but many Montanas have the kitchen sink in a separate gray tank. The valve handle is very near the wheels. It is a rod with a handle and usually comes out the side underneath the rig. It goes up at an angle thru the underbelly cover (coroplast). You have to almost get on knees to see it underneath.
Oh, it is on the driver side.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:32 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Is it cold enough to have frozen the valve shut? You may need to turn on the furnace and get the underbelly thawed out enough to get the valve open.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:01 AM   #4
Rangoon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21851
Yes,, twindman, that is correct - that's the one I have. It's stuck tight.

RMcNeal- that was my first thought, but I've been running the furnace all along;. Not impossible though, I suppose.
The connection to the handle does appear to be somewhat rusty where I can see it.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:34 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Is the pull a solid rod or is it a cable? If it is a cable some have had success dripping oil or a penetrant, up around the handle, where the solid pull wire enters the outer sheath. Drip a little, pull then push the handle and repeat. As the oil gets further into the cable it may loosen things enough to open and close the valve.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:21 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Just for clarification, can you share the year and model number of your unit?
Others with the same unit can give you detailed answers.
If you are in freezing temperatures, I highly recommend skirting your unit and putting a small ceramic heater underneath on lowest setting. This will help prevent freezing valves and pipes.
If your temperatures have been very cold, the valve could be frozen. Until you get the whole rig skirted, build a skirt using 2" styrofoam board just around the galley (kitchen) tank area and put a heater in there to warm it up.
If you have cable pulls (like in your convenience center) get some WD40. Put the straw against the joint of the pull wire and spray into the cable as you work the cable in and out.
Unfortunately this won't work if the valve has a rod like the one in the wheel well.
Try pushing in then pulling out, many times quickly on the stuck valve. I have done this when mine are very stiff at the beginning of a season.
If all else fails...
Get a long tube and a hand pump. Run the tube all the way down the drain to the bottom of the tank and pump it out.
You may need to call a mobile tech who may have other ideas to fix this. If you go this route, have him give you a once over on your rig regarding the workings of it and things to watch out for.
Good luck.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:34 AM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Until you get it fixed do what we call "Boondocking mode".
For boondocking, we put Rubbermade (6 quart small sink) and Sterlyte (16 quart large sink) tubs in our sinks. Wash in one, rinse in the other. Wash water becomes flush water. Rinse water becomes Wash water.
Or use paper cups and plates and use them for fire starters.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:41 AM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
empty the sink as best you can and don't put water in it if the tank is full. do what the people above suggested. you aren't going to get anything done until someone actually gets under the trailer and opens it up....spring time.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:42 AM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If you have the older style of screws holding the coroplast on you can just unscrew some of them near the handle and drop it down a couple of inches and take a look inside with a flashlight. If everything looks ok, maybe figure out a way to blow some hot air inside the opening then - not sure what you can use for this tho!
If you have the newer attachment method of rivets, you can pry them off (look for other threads about coroplast) and try the above also.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:16 AM   #10
Rangoon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21851
Thank you all so much!!! We are trying the boondocking thing for now because it's very cold outside this week here in VA. Tried the styrofoam skirting but it blew away in the storm. ��Have unhooked the water hose and are bringing in jugs of water. Using the old water for flushing. I never thought I'd be doing this but it is actually working! I will find a mobile mechanic once it warms up a little bit. (I have a 2013 Mountaineer 346LBQ - Bunk house).
Old 01-24-2022, 08:59 AM   #11
Pathfinder75
Established Member

M.O.C. #19500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
Mrs. "Rangoon" here.
On my second gray tank in the back of the RV, the valve appears to be stuck tight - possibly rusted? I discovered this because the water is backing up into my kitchen sink and I'm unable to get the gray tank open to drain. I am parked in my backyard and not able to move the RV for several months. ................
Does anyone have any suggestions .............. At least for getting the water out? Possibly siphon it???...............
(. So far I've had some very good advice from you people and REALLY appreciate this forum)!
Regarding need to drain now question
OPTION 1. With some peeking into underbelly your helper should be able to find location of valve on the tank. Cut access hole in corraplastic to it. Can tape or use tin to replace material on coroplastic when done.
Can disconnect handle.cable or rod that operates valve. If the cable/rod is problem then open. Valve by hand.
IF VALVE FROZE then a messy valve unbolt and grey water spill.to ground will be required.
OPTION 2. Under sink remove trap pipes so straight access into floor and tank. Insert hose down into tank and using cheap drill pump or MAYBE siphone water out side by running hose out the door lower than the tank.

Then fix problem with needed repair.
Good luck.

2017 Montana HC 353RL - Sailun S637's, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB, B&W Companion OEM puck mt.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #12
Pathfinder75
Established Member

M.O.C. #19500
Frozen tank valve type

Your drain valve should be like this cable controled Valterra TC172 72" Flexible Cable Kit with 1-1/2" Valve
It could also be a straight steel rod instead of cable controled.
Valve uses 4 small bolts to attach to tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220124-100707_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	11109  

2017 Montana HC 353RL - Sailun S637's, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB, B&W Companion OEM puck mt.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote