Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
New truck time HELP, HELP

OK,time to get rid of 2005 gmc 2500 4door, 8.1 gas, allison trans. only has 22,000 miles LOADED!!!
Why? 8.8 mpg, put monty 2955rl, on it 4 big mpg OUCH.OK enough of the funny,
1.We are not full timers
2.Plan to go to 34 ft in 5yrs
3.truck will be used everyday
4. 4to5 3 week trips per yr for next 5yrs
5.MUST be a ford ,wont buy GM ever again because of bail out!!!!
Salesman tells me to go with a F250 king ranch, diesel, single axle, 4 door long bed with airbags,he says less money then F350 and not needed till I want to pull bigger than 35ft.

Thanks
David (bear) From beautiful Coeur D Alene,Idaho.

bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Don't know if you've heard or not, but Ford is coming out with a new engine. It's a new diesel Ford has developed. Think I might wait till it comes out, they have had a lot of trouble with the engine they now have. Just my opinion.
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I think it was the older Ford diesel that had the problems, not the current one. Mine has been MOSTLY trouble free. It's the F350 King Ranch CC dually, which may be more than you seem to need, but I do get about 9MPG when pulling the Big Sky. A little tough around town but I manage. Good luck making a decision!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hiya Bear!

How's the weather in Couer d' alene?

I disagree with your salesman. The King Ranch adds too much fluff to the weight of the RV which reduces the cargo carrying weight (like the pin weight of a trailer). Plus, air bags DO NOT add any capability to the weight, they only improve the ride and ride angle.

For an SRW truck, I think you should get an F-350 because the only difference is stronger leaf springs that can carry more 1,000 to 1,500 lbs of rear axle weight - this is a BIG difference in the RV world. The towing capacity improves if you get higher ratio gearing in the differential (starts at 3.73) but I think you will start getting into DRW.

What the salesman is really saying is that the profit margin is very high for their trucks - this is very true. The F-350 model should only cost about $1,000 more because of the leafsprings and the larger wheels/tires but the dealerships mark it up even more just to make you pay for the extra weight capacity and that's why the salesman will try to sell you an F-250 because they think they are saving you money.

Kerry is right on in bringing up the 2011 6.7L Fords. The 6.0L (which I have) was the first venture into the modern diesel engine and it had some design maintenance problems that were addressed in the 6.4L introduced a couple of years ago. But the 6.4, even though it improved the 6.0L offering has fallen short in that in fixing some problems and providing more power, it dropped a lot in fuel economy and has had some of its own problems. Now the 6.7L is bigger, badder, lighter and provides even MORE power and increased fuel economy and in my opinion this is the Ford I would look for.

An F-350, SRW, 6.7L Diesel with AutoTrans, tow control, Crew Cab, 4X4, Long Bed, 3.73 gear ratio, but I would still look at the door pillar. And look for 11,500 or higher. Then I would add a sprayon bed cover, B&W 5th wheel hitch and air bags. That should resolve your TV issues for the next 5 years. Unfortunately, a new engine has some risk, but I have had two 6.0L trucks and had no problems and I would certainly be willing to chance that for what the truck promises.

That's my opinion on the Ford, and I am not as familiar with Chevy/GMC/Dodge offerings. If you have more questions feel free to PM or email me.

BTW - Your rig is already almost 34 ft long (33', 9"). The two numbers at the front of the model number are not typically the total length of the trailer. You mention you might upsize to 34' but you might end up way longer than that (37 - 38 ft) and hence an increase in weight ratings.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’m fairly happy with the truck I own. I’ve had a few problems but overall it’s been a great TV. I had a v-10 Dodge gasser before this one and I got about 9 MPG before I started towing anything with it, then it went to about 6 MPG when towing the Monty. I get about 7-8 MPG when towing with this one. Around town I get about 12-13 for everyday driving. It’s the 6.0 of which I believe has mostly just had a bad rap. With over 336,000 miles on it I think that should speak for it’s self. I’m quite happy with how well it does and with the better MPG of which may be partially due to it being a diesel.

I do use it for an every day vehicle as well. I actually prefer it over driving a small car. It can sometimes become a little cumbersome but I guess I’ve gotten used to it. I just adjust and park accordingly such as when in a parking lot, I park further away from the door rather than compete for a closer place.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best and “Happy Camping!”
Old 01-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
When it comes to trucks everone has there preferences and I don't think any of us think rationally when it comes to our truck preference. Art has articulated all the Ford diesel problems. Don't here about problems with the Cummins except it is attached to a Dodge. Have 132,000 miles on the Dodge and only problems have been general maintenance. By the way, Know when a salesman is lying? His lips are moving. Thought I would lighten up the subject.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I felt like you do about the GM bailout, but after someone I know bailed out Ford to the tune of almost 6 grand for repairs to their Ford F250 diesel, I re-thought my position. Heck, if that happened to me, I would be having to apply for a bailout. After all, a big part of the financial institutions got bailouts, and everyone still does business with them, and they didn't have near the stipulations attached that GM did. Heck, if you recall, the POTUS fired the CEO at GM.

Anyway, buy what makes you and the DW happy. I like my Chevy, and I like my friend's new F250. Both have features I would like incorporated into both. I just don't go for that cab off engine repair stuff.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I felt the same as the OP and did in fact get rid of my GM 3500HD and was researching Ford, Dodge and of course all the Cars and Trucks made in the USA, and found that more foreign Trucks are made in America that the Big 3, most HD Trucks are made South of the Border???? All research we did we always came back to GM, however we have only owned GM Cars and Trucks. As for the Bail-out a terrible mistake, and the Tax payers will be paying again for many years for past mistakes by GM (tail wagging the Big Dog), its for sure not over yet. Ford was very lucky to have borrowed Millions before the down turn, and is the reason they didn't have to be giving a hand-out. And they for sure aren't out of the woods. I must also say GM has the only proven combo of the Big 3 they have the same Diesel and Transmission for last 9+ years. Ford is trying to develop a in house Diesel, I truly hope they get it right and if they don't Ford is in serious trouble. Dodge has finally fixed their Transmission problem. The Cummins is the best I-6 on the market today. And I feel the Duramax is the best V-8 on the market today. So in the end I bought another Chevy Silverado and a Chevy HHR, and I did get Delaine a Mercedes but had to wrap it with a Freightliner cab and chassis. As for the 8.1 totally awesome engine but so is the Ford V-10 but both take lots of Gas. But for what your plans are I would stay with a Gas engine, and I very seldom ever recomend a Gas over Diesel. Ford, Dodge or GM. It would be hard to justify the cost difference between a Gas engine vs a Diesel engine. As for cab off repairs, Ford really had to go there with the Dual Turbo's and all those radiators? But I think I read for 2011 they want have that issue. GM 6.0 engine looks to be another great V-8. But again its a choice, and if your happy thats all that matters. Good Luck on your research and what ever choice you make. Life is Good. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First... We have the 08 F-350 6.4L Ford Diesel and have towed this heavily loaded 06 3400 all over the country for the last 44 months. 29K miles with not a single problem of any kind.95% towing the 3400. Average @ 10/11 mpg towing and 15/17 solo, 12/13 in stop and go city driving. Go here for Ford information//become educated..look at the 6.4 and the 6.7 topics http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
It does sound like the F-250 suggested will be OK for the 2955 but check the numbers. Why the King Ranch.... it is pretty but does nothing for towing.

Everyday driving in a big truck is a issue, mpg is not good..gas/diesel.

My choice of diesel was and is the Cummins..unfortunatly it is wrapped in a Dodge truck and Dodge is not in good financial shape.Like it or not Ford is the company that is likely to survive.
If you can afford to purchase now and again in 5 or so years for a bigger truck and maybe camper..OK..but crunch the numbers.

We purchased a 05 F-350 V-10 because we had little confidence in the 6.0 Diesel then purchased the 08 6.4 about 4 years later. We worked our butt off driving school bus to pay for it.

We are also interested in the new 6.7 Ford Diesel but can not get enough information on it to feel good about purchasing one.. yet. BTW the 2011 is not a cab off engine replacement

If it were me..(and it isn't) I would keep the gasser ..(4to5 3 week trips per yr for next 5yrs) why have a 5 year old truck. Wait till the truck and motor picture clears..then buy.

That 4mpg towing the 2955 sounds low..we have folks here who pull with the 8.1..perhaps they will reply..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
My opinion is to go with a 1 ton. DRW or SRW is up to what you intend to tow. I have a 3/4 because GMC did not offer a SRW 1 ton when I bought mine and I didn't want to buy 6 tires when I needed new ones! I upgraded to 265(E) tires (from 245's) and air bags to give me more carrying capacity than the truck originally had. I tow a TT but when I had an heavy PU Camper on the truck, I found that I needed a rear sway bar. No more PU camper but the sway bar greatly improved handling IMO.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:59 AM   #11
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
The truck in my sig does a great job, sits nice and level. My longest trip has been 200 miles and averaged 8.3 mpg on the highway.I average a little over 11 without the monty. I also use the truck every day. I am still to young to retire so I will not be doing any long mileage trips.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Off subject a little, and I know what some think of tuning your truck, the warranty issues and damage to your engine. I tuned mine to get rid of the DPF which by the very nature of it, puts fuel in the oil. My 08 F250 6.4 is a much better truck. It is not just the power. It is much more responsive. Stock you push the gas pedal and wait for the turbos to build boost then it gives its self fuel, now you push the gas pedal and you are going somewhere right now. With 560 HP I do mean you are going somewhere, right now, hang on. If you drive like a fool you can tear your truck up, stock or tuned. With a Spartan tuner and the Dash Dac Gages you can monitor every perimeter on your truck. Torque converter slip, transmission temp. engine oil temp. fuel rail pressure and temp. exhaust gas temp. and about 50 others. You can set limits and warnings on all of these.
If you damage your truck its your fault. Spartan says Ford cant find the tuner if you return the truck to stock. Things do break if break it pay for it if Ford breaks it let Ford pay for it. With all the gages I have it's less likely something will break now. Another benefit my fuel millage went from 13.4 to 17 mpg. Thats 130 more miles per tank of 36 gallons.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

BTW the 2011 is not a cab off engine replacement
[The new engine architecture enables easier service work for all major engine components, potentially reducing down time. On turbocharger service, for example, the body/cab no longer has to be removed from the frame to access the turbo; also, the high-pressure fuel pump, EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) components and thermostats are directly accessible from the front of the vehicle]...from media.ford.com

Mind showing me something from Ford saying the engine can be replaced w/o cab removal? Looks to me like they made some headway, but I take that a limited amount of repairs can be done with the cab on.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #14
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
If you are going to buy a diesel then buy a Cummins.
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were told about the cab off engine replacement by a Ford Rep at the Tampa RV show... Apparently that is not so.. Here is a Ford Slide show that tells it all..it is long but informative....http://www.slideshare.net/FordMotorC...m-presentation
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #16
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I only have owned one truck. I bought a 07 2500 Classic GMC Dmax/allison. I drove a lot of the other trucks all diesel. I went with the GMC because IMO the ride was the best (interior comfort) and the diesel was more quiet. I get very good mpg towing, between 10 and 11. Do I wish I had more weight capacity? YES. But I load with that in mind. I don't have all that pollution control stuff either. Bottom line they all have some issues, so, buy what you like, gives you the most comfort and can afford.

Have fun, swanny

PS About buying a truck now and then upgrading in five years?????? I would buy the 5 yrs from now truck now, if that where you want to be. Your truck will be paid off, Instead of starting another loan.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Cummins diesels are available in the larger Ford trucks like F-550 and F-650. But I think for Bear's purpose he is looking for the SRW Superduty F-250 (which I think will be too light) or the F-350 which will solve any rear axle/pin weight concerns which arise as the nature of Fifth wheel RVs even with occassional usage.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bear,

I bought a brand new F350 SRW 6.4L King Ranch Crew long bed 4x4 loaded with everything but the DVD player back in September. Cost difference to me out the door between the F250 and the F350 was $1,800.00 If you can swing it, I would recommend going with 1 ton. It will provide you with more options when trading up for a larger coach down the road. I have the 3400RL and towed it with my 2500HD Duramax without trouble - however the new Montana's will push you over the weight ratings of a 3/4 ton. I chose the 1 ton this time as a coach upgrade is in my near future. If you go Dodge, check out Dave Smith over in Kellogg. I have bought all my GM's from there and am happy to connect you with my contact there. He will treat you right. Happy truck shopping... PS, are you looking at Blue Crick for your next Montana?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I know you're thoughts on GM but if you want an excellent diesel engine Duramax/Allison is a great combination.
I have a 2007 1 ton CC Dually and love it. I had no problems and average 10-12 MPG pulling. Remember,Duramax is Isusu.You might want to read this.
http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/corpora...e/history.html

Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #20
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Let's look at the "bad" news from GM too. I always consider a new design or revamping an engine bad news for the first couple years. Here we go; GM halting Duramax production

I personally believe it will be hard to find the Duramax you want until the new engines hit full production. As I mentioned before, many dealers have no Duramax equipped trucks in stock. Seems a Ford dealer I PMed on another forum said he could deliver in late spring (2011 model). That is with the new 6.7 engine.