Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Ice on the roof

Last week we were camping in Branson Mo. and it rained, then froze then snowed. We stayed as long as we could and finally had enough. As we were heading south, a large piece of ice broke loose, and shattered our skylight over the shower. Cost me almost $100.00 in materials to replace. Be AWARE!! loose debris can break stuff on your roof! I could have lost more. I just happened to look up today and saw the broken skylight. Found one right away and replaced it myself. Lesson learned!

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry to hear about your skylight. Happy to hear it was not any worse and that ice did not come down on someones head. Amazing how snow and ice just don't like RV's. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry to hear about that Montana Rog - did you end up putting the factory type back on (dual pane)?

All of my vents were broken by ice, as well as the AC cover, but it was from the kind of ice that falls out of the sky in little balls .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
The inner bubble did not break. I went to the nearest RV part dealer, and had the measurements for my broken one. I found a smoke colored one nearly the same size. It fit great! It took about 2 hours to fix. Took more time taking all the old calking off than installing the new one. Those adhesives are tough! I installed using the proper type of adhesives and calking. I think I actually like the smoked one better than the clear one that got broke. I will keep this one polished to keep it clear. I see most of them get cloudy after a time.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am glad I popped in here. I think you have just given me the answer to my problem of too much light in the bedroom of my trailer. I will have to head out to the rv store this weekend and investigate tehir options for colored covers.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I also saw some milk white ones of the same size. The dealer was not a keystone dealer and said he did not have one that would fit. I said ok...thanks, I will look around on my own..and then I found the pile of bubble covers. When I had the old broken one off, I insulated the area around the inner skylight with fiberglass before installing the new one. I now do not have a bright bedroom light shining in the morning either!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:29 AM   #7
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
We left Norman Ok. but before we could, I had to remove about five inches of ice from the slides, some broke up and the rest I had to use the hose and wash it off. It took me about two days to remove it all, I know it would have done some damage if we would have slid them in.

We are in McAlester Ok. and will be heading south for the RGV the first of the year.

Larry & LaVonne
Old 12-09-2006, 06:29 AM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Okie Guy

I am glad I popped in here. I think you have just given me the answer to my problem of too much light in the bedroom of my trailer. I will have to head out to the rv store this weekend and investigate tehir options for colored covers.
Phil
CW sells pads that fit in the vents (don't know about the sky light) that are about 4" thick. They keep out the light as well as heat in the summer/cold in the winter.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
There was a thread about that some time back. If you take the inner part down, it's just screwed to the ceiling, and put bubble wrap between the inner and outer shells it cuts the light down to just right and also insulates it. You can buy the bubble wrap at Wal-Mart's. Inexpensive fix.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ouch, Rog! Where was that chunk of ice? On the tv antenna?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote