Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Anyone reccommend a good cover?

I'm new to this sight and not very computer savvy so I'm not sure this is how to post a question. Anyway, we have an '07 3400rl and was wondering what yall think about covering it for the winter? Any pros or cons about covering it up (condensation, etc)? Also, any sugestions on a good brand and where to get it? Thanks, and from what I've seen, this is a great websight with very helpful folks.

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Welcome to the Monty site! I looked into a cover this year and decided on a 30' by 60' tarp just because the cost of the covers was twice as much. I just put it on with help and tied it by a rope. It has been very windy and it has held up well. However, I think the covers are made from thicker material, so you probably get what you pay for, but this does work. The goal for me is to just keep the leaves and UV rays to a minimum. I will say once I buttoned it up it seems I immediatly started finding evidence of mice. So, I am now on a new quest. If you are interested in the tarp it can be found at: http://www.coversuperstore.com/ Good Luck John Weber
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:18 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If you insist on covering the unit, please be sure to check it once in a while for wear, from rubbing. You can do a lot of damage that way. And condensation has been reported as a problem, so if you have to cover, might look into some of that dry stuff (someone help me out here, you buy it at Walley world) and it sucks the moisture into a bag or something! You can tell I have not purchased any yet!

No covering going on here, did it one time many many moons ago on a prior TT, it blew off the first good storm with very strong winds, was flappin all over, took it off and never looked back.

Hear the custom covers are very heavy, actually saw one on a unit the other day, looked like it fit very nicely, and tucked way under the unit, maybe the wind will not catch it.

Rather have the unit accessible, it is, our spare room, when company comes. They can use it, or if they hesitate, Al and I have NO problem giving up the bedrooms in the house for our guests and punishing ourselves by sleeping out there ourselves!

Good luck in your decision.

AND WELCOME TO THE MOC!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:30 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For what it's worth, I wouldn't cover it. There have been many reports of abrasive damage to the rig finish plus condensation that caused mold and mildew. The rigs are designed to withstand the weather. You might consider inside storage.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:37 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I am a full timer and have no reason to cover my rig but if I weren't full timing I still wouldn't cover it. Prior to storing the rig I would give it a good washing. Maybe apply a coat of polish, winterize it and that's about all. These rigs were made to be in the weather and covering them is not something I would waste the money on. What with the possibility of rub marks on the rig and most covers get torn over a winter it just ain't worth it. Take the money and buy your spouse something really nice for christmas or maybe a useful toy for the TV or Monty.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just read on RVnet the other day of people talking about getting a surprise in the spring after the wind caused to the covers to wear holes in the rubber roofs. One guy reported he had over 10 holes along the edges down to the metal edge piece. In those cases I believe the rig would have been better off without the cover.

I also see shreds of the gray covers blown all over our storage lot by about March. There is one type of Adco Poly cover that just doesn't make it here in the dry climate, and after a few months in the sun they just explode in to shreds and little strands get blown across the field.

I believe it really depends on the climate you are in. Here in Colorado, it is too dry, too windy, and too close to the sun. The wind blows hard and gets dirt up under the cover, rips the tarp on your gutters and roof appliances, then starts breaking it down through UV.

We opted to leave our old rig uncovered, and it survived pretty well. The new rig will go inside until I get tired of paying for expensive storage.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I bought a cover for our unit when it was parked next to the house in Maryland. The Winds did lift the cover and cause it to move around so chaffing is one concern. When I stored it in a pole barn, upstate New York, I used it just to keep the pigeon stuff off. It did a good job on that account. With that being said I probably would not use a cover outside if I was not able to watch it. As others have said those that are full time do not use them so does it really need a cover. Unless I was storing in a covered area I probably would not cover it. Now if you are not confused read this backwards and you will be.
Cheers,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Had one, used it, won't use it again. Wanna buy it!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:20 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not see units covered in the dealers lot in the winter when you think they would be protecting their investment.These are campers you would think that they could withstand winter weather..Too much wind in the winter around these parts for a cover.. I can see the advantage in areas with direct sun all the time but it has been our experience that they do more harm than good...Take a lesson from boat storage..they seal them in shrink wrap..now that would work..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I PMed two different company's that make the covers, I asked them how they held up in constant wind conditions which are pretty normal in the Kansas area I live in. I also asked both about their liability should there covers cause damage to my MONTANA flapping in the wind against the siding. Both would not assume any responsibility for wind chaffing. One did say that anyone having their covers should place padding between the cover and siding to prevent chaffing.... I would say you would asking for alot of body damage with a cover on your rig in any windy climate. I would never have one, I think RICHFAA has a thought """"SHRINK WRAP""""" some day maybe it will be on the market. Safe Travels everyone John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:07 AM   #11
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
rubble express,
First of all, welcome to the forum! As you can see from the previous posts, if you live in a Hot, or Windy climate, a cover is NOT the way to protect your rig. We used to live in the "great Northwest" which is actually "rain country", and we alway used a huge tarp anchored over our 5th Wheels, but only for the real wet, soggy, stormy, and trees loosing their needles months, that would be Nov thru Feb. in Washington state. It helped keep the "green" off the rig. We now spend most of our time in Yuma AZ. and wouldn't dream of using a tarp to cover the rig, for all of the previously printed reasons. The product Carol was talking about is (Dry z Arie). It is put out in a container with a moisture bowl to absorb and capture excess moisture.

So.... I guess it all depends on where you are, and what risks you want to take when it comes to using a cover. Just remember, that long term use of a cover will cause abrasive wear on the rig.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:50 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm not sure shrink wrap is the answer either - I've seen the chaffing damage they can cause as well. It's just a cheaper alternative for winterizing the larger boats than buying a full size mooring cover, especially if you have a bridge or tower.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #13
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We're here in snowy central Oregon and don't cover the Montana. Read a consumer letter in Trailer Life not long ago about someone using a cover on their RV and having damages as a result, which the maker of the cover would not pay for. If we get worried about the weight of the snow on the Montana roof we remove the snow with a long handled broom, otherwise, so far, we've gotten along fine.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I WAS GIVEN A GOOD ONE BY MY FATHER-IN-LAW, IN THE WIND IN DID MORE DAMAGE THAN GOOD, HAD TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET IT FLAP AT ALL. WAS GOOD TO KEEP THE SUN OFF THE ROOF IN THE SUMMER, KEPT THE TRAILER COOLER INSIDE WHEN STORED. BUT ONLY LASTED ABOUT 3 YEARS.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #15
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
30x50 pole building will be the only cover mine will ever see over it. Big enough I can put another camper in it over the winter months and yet still pull down the center and put the slides out in the summer. Cost a little more than a tarp, but lasts forever.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:38 AM   #16
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
A cover was included when I purchased my Monty. I put the cover on when I took it to the storage lot. I realized when I got there with the friend I took to assist...she's afraid of heights...LOL So, I had to go up there myself. We tied it down really good, and I didn't have any problems with it at all. I had to uncover it by myself to get ready for my trip down here. It had ice all over it, and a coating of snow as well. Turned into a nightmare once I got it off the Monty. Out of frustration, I finally stuffed it into the basement until I hit warmer weather. I kept waiting to see water pouring out of the basement from the ice melting off it...LOL I took the cover out yesterday, laid it out on the cement, swept it off really good, folded it up real nice, and put it in the carrying case. When I get back home, I think thats how it's gonna stay. REALLY a pain in the butt to work with.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote