Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Shane01638
Established Member

M.O.C. #4613
Winter Towing

I'm going to be driving and towing our monty from Florida to Alaska later this month. I would like to still be able to use it on the trip up. I'm thinking about insulating more underneath and wrapping the fresh water drain and low point drains in foam pipe insulation. I will also be running the furnace on it's lowest setting while driving and turning it up at night. So, here are my questions.

Has anyone ever tried this?
How much propane do you think I will use?
Does anyone recommend studs or chains for the trailer?
Does the truck charge the trailer battery while driving?

Thanks in advance!

Shane01638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I can answer question #4; yes the truck charges the battery while traveling. Other than that good luck! You're braver than I am.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I tried to post this earlier but lost my connection so saved it to post later.

Insulating the low point drains might help while on the road but at night it will only get you down to about 17 degrees. A hairdryer will help to thaw them out. Been there. What I had to do was put heat tape on those drains, then cover that with insulation with final coat of duct tape. That got us down below zero without freezing up.

The Fords will charge the battery. I think the GM's will, too, but I heard you might have to install a fuse or breaker to activate that feature. Maybe a GM guy could clarify on this.

I can't tell you how much propane you will use on the road. In subfreezing weather we run the furnace on the lowest setting while on the road. It used very little propane, as far as I could tell. But we generally only had to do this a day or two at a time, at most.

As for propane usage while sitting still in subfreezing weather, one 30-pound bottle lasted us anywhere from 3 days to a week, depending on just how cold and how much we supplemented with electric heaters. If you use electric heaters, be sure they don't keep the furnace from running occasionally. You will need some heat pumped into the basement by the furnace.

I don't think studs or chains on the trailer are of much value. Those wheels don't drive and don't steer. They just follow. If you are on ice, they may go their own direction on a curve, a quick stop, etc.

My biggest concern would be ice and/or snow on the roads. I could not in good conscious recommend you try to tow the Montana in those conditions. Hopefully you can sit it out until they get the roads sufficiently cleared. Good luck. I hope it goes well for you.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
On my 05 model I had good luck with filling the low point drains with the pink stuff. I installed valves on them. Then with my fresh water tank empty I would open the valve and using a large syringe I would fill the low point drain and quickly close the valve. Upon doing that I would fill the tank. There is no place for the pink stuff to go. I did the same thing with the other low point drains. I camped down to -5 without a problem.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Shane, By your profile I see you live her in Anchorage. So, of course, you know about the weather and roads, enough said about that. Do you have a member in your family named Rick? If so, I used to fly with him in St. Marys. If you know him tell him Phil says Hello....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Does anybody drive the Alcan in the winter...is it open? Steve's advice is good. If you have the under hood fuse in your truck, the truck battery will charge the TV battery. Some posters on the RV forum use chains on the trailer to help with braking. I have not tried it, don't ever plan to...can you wait for spring? I've posted this before, but here it is again, it might help:

Each gallon of LP gas produces about 91,500 BTUs of heat energy. A typical seven gallon container will provide about 640,500 BTUs of heat energy. Here is a list of typical appliance consumption when turned on full for one hour of operation:

Water heater: 12,000.
Refrigerator: 1,500.
Furnace: 20,000.
Oven: 14,100.
Each burner: 5,600.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Shane,

If you end up trapped somewhere and the highway patrol requires chains, you are required to chain one wheel on the trailer on a braking axle (either axle on the Monty). I shudder at the thought of what chains would do to the cargo in the Monty - let alone trying to drive in that stuff, but if you are looking at having to chain up for any reason, save one chain for the trailer.

I don't think I would ever try studs on the Monty. They would severely reduce your braking ability on dry pavement (especially concrete highways).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
GM trucks have a fuse in the circuit that supplies power to the trailer. This fuse is not installed when the truck is delivered from the factory. There have been some postings on this in the past so you might want to look at the archives. My recollection is the fuse is labled "POST 1" on the legend in the fuse box. The fuse panel is located under the hood on the left side.. If you are leaning over the left fender and have the cover off the fuse panel, you will find two rows of big fuses (They are about 1/2 inch square) along the top of the fuse panel. The most right one is post 1. It should be a green 40 amp fuse. There was a sticker over these rows of fuses on my 2006 so it was a bit confusing. If that spot is empty you need to install one. The fuses are available at any auto supply store.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

GM trucks have a fuse in the circuit that supplies power to the trailer. This fuse is not installed when the truck is delivered from the factory. There have been some postings on this in the past so you might want to look at the archives. My recollection is the fuse is labled "POST 1" on the legend in the fuse box. The fuse panel is located under the hood on the left side.. If you are leaning over the left fender and have the cover off the fuse panel, you will find two rows of big fuses (They are about 1/2 inch square) along the top of the fuse panel. The most right one is post 1. It should be a green 40 amp fuse. There was a sticker over these rows of fuses on my 2006 so it was a bit confusing. If that spot is empty you need to install one. The fuses are available at any auto supply store.
Dave
Lots of good advice. A few more things...the 40 amp fuse came with your truck if you got the factory tow package, don't know why GM can't put it in. I just checked the manual, the location is the second fuse from the left, top row, mine had a dummy fuse that had to be removed.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:02 AM   #10
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
If you are going to run with the heat on I am sure you would remember to shut off everything before refuelling either propane or TV fuel.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Shane, I have never driven the Alcan, but I was going to this winter if our house had sold (didn't, still here). I was told to ALWAYS check with the locals about weather and conditions up ahead. Remember, not all CG are open year round..If you get stuck somewhere and I can help just PM me or call. I will send my tel num e-mail.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have towed some pretty heavy trailers through blizzard conditions on roads in the midwest. The weight of your coach will help, but remember do not have your brake controller set at a higher setting. This will cause your trailer brakes to lock up on snowy and icy roads and break free. I would not put studs on your coach, or chains for that matter. If the road is that bad that it requires chains, I would find a town or truck stop and stay until the storm passes. Your truck will charge the batteries in the coach, but it is only a trickle charge.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:44 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never deliberately pulled our camper in bad winter conditions..however we have , when working the Cleveland RV show been obliged to pull units between the dealer involved and the RV show site...@ 15 to 20 miles..all types of units in all kinds of nasty weather conditions because the Rv units had to be out of there to make room for the incoming boat show. Fortunately..not our truck or RV..Lesson learned..never...never..never do that. Driving on Snow, Ice, and high winds are on our..never do list...not worth the probable consequences.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote