Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Better heat with a blow dryer?

We went out to the Mountaineer to get it ready to pull to the campground where we winter camp, and I turned the heat on so the DW didn't get frostbite (8 deg outside). The furnace ran for a while and shut down. When I re-started it, it seemed to work, but had very little air/heat coming from any of the registers. Less than a regular blow dryer. This does not seem normal to me. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jim,

As with your stick house - I would expect the furnace to take 30-60 minutes to bring the temperatures up to normal from 8 degrees. Once at a comfortable temperatures, they should be able to maintain it pretty well. I wouldn't expect heat or airflow to be anywhere near a hairdryer.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
You might want to check the duct at the furnace outlet. Mine was not attached very well and came loose. Most of the heat was blowing in the basement.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
I did as you suggested Charlie. The ducts are sealed.

I did notice, however, that the furnace ducts out the bottom of the unit, versus the sides or front as I am used to seeing. When the front cover goes back on, all the air has to pass thru a 3/8" gap on the side of the heat tube in order to reach the bottom duct. The fan doubled rpm when I replaced the cover.

With the cover off, I got plenty of heat.

Design flaw?

I am considering installing an extension on the furnace cover to give the air a way down.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
see my post under "ran out of Gas, LP that is" - you may have suffered from a frozen regulator that eventually thawed as you worked on it and restored your heat.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Jim, I have the same unit as you, and have to agree the heating system is not the best. All of our heat was pouring into the bunk room, and we were getting no heat up in the front bedroom. I installed adjustable floor registers and then checked all the ductwork for loose fittings etc. The only change I made was the ductwork under the bathroom. You can access it from the front basement by removing the panels. I ended up cutting out appx. 2' of ductwork that was bunched up in there. Now the ductwork is a straight shot from the bottom of the basement up to the bedroom and bathroom. After this fix, we barely open the bunk room vent, completely close off the bathroom, and the unit stays fairly comfortable now, even in the front bedroom. Like others have said, once the temp rises to a comfortable level, the furnace should have no issues keeping it there.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote