Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Heat tape for water supply

Hubby went to Walmart and found a heat tape that says use it on metal or plastic pipe, don't use it on a hose, fuel line, or drain line. Have any of you used this on your water hose to the Monty. (23.00)

He also went to Home Depot and found one that was more expensive, but didn't read the restrictions on the box. (37.00)

For those that have used the heat tape, can you tell us your suggestion on what to use?

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

Hubby went to Walmart and found a heat tape that says use it on metal or plastic pipe, don't use it on a hose, fuel line, or drain line. Have any of you used this on your water hose to the Monty. (23.00)

He also went to Home Depot and found one that was more expensive, but didn't read the restrictions on the box. (37.00)

For those that have used the heat tape, can you tell us your suggestion on what to use?

Colleen
Ran into the same thing when my son had the TT in north Arkansas during the winter. He went ahead and used the heat tape from Wally World. Some of the more expensive ones actually have a thermostat built in to turn it on when the temperature is below freezing.

We experienced some nights in the 20's when home at East TX last winter. With the heated underbelly, we just unhooked the waterhose, and ran on the freshwater tank while it was below freezing.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Colleen,

I believe the warning is there because the heat tape is designed to heat a fluid filled line, whereas the fluid absorbs the heat. If you take away the fluid, the heat tape will overheat and either melt the line or cause a fire.

In an ideal world, I believe they assume that a hose or fuel line all have potential to be empty and the heat tape would then start melting into the flexible line, and a drain line is empty by design.

I haven't used the tape, but I'm sure there are plenty of experienced suggestions out there.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
When I was on my way home from work tonight I noticed a lot of the people at the RV Park had heat lamps blazing on their water hydrants. The only problem with this method is the amount of light they are putting out. I don't know how anyone down there can sleep.
Let us know what you try. I am wanting to do some winter camping this year. I may have some experience when we get back from Missouri.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I use a heat tape on my hose. Never looked to see if it was restricted from being used on hose. Never have had a problem with it. I believe it's as Brad mentioned, as long as there is fluid in the hose everything will be okay.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 AM   #6
dannykaren
Established Member

M.O.C. #7076
We are in the texas panhandle where it gets really cold. We wrap our hose with heat tape. No problems. It has a thermostat and only comes on during freezing weather.
dannykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
When I lived in the Ozarks in Northern Ark. I wrapped my white RV water hose with heat tape. Also wrapped the pipe coming out of the ground. Then I wrapped that with insulation. Never had a problem.
They won't start heating until freezing temps.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
For those that have used the heat tape, can you tell me where you bought it? We are looking at needing it possibly for New Years Eve when we are camping in Kerville.

You guys have mentioned filling your water tank. Are you filling your tank just in case the outside water line freezes, and then you use your fresh water tank. Sorry.... big dummy here to the winter camping stuff and boon docking. Haven't done that yet!!!

Colleen

PS. You guys and gals are the best.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen,

What kind of low temps are you thinking you may encounter??

We filled the fresh water tank, unhooked the water hoses, be sure the furnace runs a bit during the night, and we have done just fine at those near freezing temps.

We have done that for years, as soon as it warms up above 33, we turn the hoses back on.

You may have to conserve water a bit if you run into 3 or 4 days of close to or below freezing weather.

If you are going to buy heat tape for the occasional encounter with some border line weather, I would not go there, just use the fresh water tank and unhook that hose. IF you are planning to stay for extended period with really cold weather, the heat tape is a must.

We have been camping since 1972, and have yet to purchase heat tape. No, we are not using the rig for extended times in chilly to cold to frigid weather.

You will of course have to be the judge, how much conservative water use can you stand. I can stand LOTS. Others cannot.

Enjoy your New Years Campout!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
It's been 15 years ago but I believe I bought mine at Ace Hardware or a building supply house. It was a small town so it had to be one of those.
If you can't find the heat tape and you are on city water then just leave the facet barely running and your hose won' freeze. Moving water won't freeze as fast. Leave your grey valve open and put insulation over your drain hose. Not for a long term solution but works for a brief cold spell.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We used the heat tape on our hose and around the tap the last 2 winters during January when it dipped down into the 20's. We also covered it with that foam insulation. Had no problems. The only thing about leaving a tap running or dripping is that if it trickles out the drain and will slowly build up ice in your drain hose. If you leave the drain closed, you run into a problem with the tank filling and overflowing... I would go with the heat tape.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #12
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I use the heat tape with no problems. Use the shortest amount of hose you can as it limits the exposure. I also fill the fresh water tank for those times the temps get to the single digits and just turn off the faucet until the coldest spell is over. I've spent 3 winters in kansas this way and have had not real problems. If you can do something to block the wind that helps alot. The wind chill makes it even colder. We still have 2 more Kansas winters to deal with before we can head south.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've used that same heat tape for several years, the tape that says do not use on a hose. I first learned how to do this from the manager of an rv park in Golden, CO. They made and sold the heat taped hoses using that same heat tape you refer to. The key is to run it parallel with the hose. Do not wrap it around the hose. Be sure to insulate it all after taping the heat tape to the hose. I used the foam tubes meant for pipes and taped that up good so no seams were open. We got down to five below zero (F) a couple of times and had a week or two at a time with nary a temperature above the low teens and never froze that hose. Don't forget to heat tape the park's spigot if not already done. Do everything above the ground.

Tractor Supply has heat tape that can be wrapped. I use that on the park's spigot.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote