Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Tootucky
Established Member

M.O.C. #7909
Window film in Monty--help

We have to stay in GJ CO till sometime in Jan., so stuffed a pillow in ceiling vents, purchased a small electric heater, and some window film you tape on and shrink with a blow dryer.

For those of you that have used it in your Monty, how did you deal with the (lovely) curtain headers & (equally lovely) day-night shades? If you have to take them off, it looks to me like it would be a bigger pain in the you know what than it would be worth.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Louise

Tootucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you want to use the window film, you have to thake them off. A pain, but a 15 minute job. (a window)
It will be worth it for the gain in comfort.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The pillows will work in your vents, but CW sells pads that fit exactly. Re the heater, if you are in a CG where they are paying for electricity, I'd go get a couple of more electric heaters.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Tootucky
Established Member

M.O.C. #7909
Thanks for the input. I'm afraid we are paying for the elec., but also as fulltimers, we have to worry about where to store extra pillows, heaters, etc. when we are not using them----and usually we are not in cold weather enough to do that.

We are only in GJ for this long because our daughter-in-law was having trouble with a pregnancy, so are heping with their 1 and 3 year old.

Fortunately, winters in GJ are normally somewhat mild, so maybe we won't have too much trouble.

Guess we'll have to bite the bullet and take the curtains down. Since I don't like them anyway wish dh would let me replace them while they're down. Oh well----

Thanks for input and information.

Louise

Thanks for
Tootucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
mccarrie7

M.O.C. #7428
I just finished putting film on my windows and it really wasn't that difficult. The valances have about 4-6 screws holding them to the upper cupboards and the day/night shades have a screw at each end. After removing the valance, I unscrewed the shades and just let them hang. It was pretty easy putting it all back up and I didn't have any help. It really made a big difference since it's been in the teens at night here in Idaho. An extra set of hands to help hold the valance would be wonderful but it is possible, and not that hard, to do it alone.
mccarrie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Louise, you can put the film on the outside of the windows very easily. Just buy the 3M product that goes on the outside and follow the directions. Also, cover your air conditioner. That really helps. We spent two winters in the Chicago area and did just fine. Good luck!
Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Oh, those lovely day-night shades! I do love the way they look (and keep in the heat up here in cold Montana), but they are a ROYAL pain in the you-know-what, especially on the windows with the knobs you turn to open the lower pane. It's nearly impossible to keep from damaging the shades because of those knobs, even when you know the knobs are there and are careful not to catch the shade on them. I'm also a Type-A, obsessive/compulsive person, and looking across the room from my recliner and seeing a tilting pleat means lots of trips from my chair to adjust that shade. My new Montana 3585 already has one damaged shade, the one on the window by the table and chairs. I was doing the contortionist thing, trying to lean over the table, balanced on my knees on a chair by the window, and raise that shade without getting it crooked while doing so. As the shade came up, it hit that round knob; the plastic cap came off the end of the bottom of the shade, the day shade part slid out and tore on the knob. I was just sick over it. Still am, in fact. I guess eventually I'll replace the shade or see if it can be fixed. The damage doesn't show and the shade works ok, but it's so difficult to raise and lower because of its location--impossible to get a grip equal distance from either side, and awkard to grip only in the middle (can't get my hand between the table and window without mashing on the shade). Because the plastic end cap won't stay on that shade, the white material is forever sliding out and just begging to be ripped again. Those curtains and headers are also a problem with the shades. I've had to bend out the bottom of most of the flat rod parts that secure the bottom of the curtains because the shades catch on them, too. Love the color and look of the shades. Hate their mechanics and fragile nature.
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:02 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Put a small screw through the plastic cap to hold it on.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:29 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We took the knobs off that catch on the blinds and open other windows. Much easier to use the blinds without the knobs.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Reading your problem gave me an idea. If (when) that happens to me I will replace them with the Bali cellular shades we have throughout the stick house. They do have cords, but may be manufactured without. The raise from the bottom, or lower from the top. The lowering from the top is fantastic as you can get light, but very hard for someone to peep in without a step ladder. They can be ordered for any size window you want, and the clips are easy to install. We purchase ours through Lowe's Hardware.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The first three winters we took the screws out of the valances and the shades, removed the valance and lowered the shade, filmed the windows, then put shade and valance back in place. After three winters I was seeing some of those screws losing their bite. The next year I got outdoor film and filmed the windows outside. It was easier and quicker than using inside film. Use the tape meant for outdoors, not the tape that is used on indoor film. I used some of both. The indoor tape used outdoors left a nasty, very difficult to remove, film on the window frames. I still don't have all of it off. The outdoor film came right off with no residue left behind.

You have to feel around up under the valances to find the screws holding them in place. But they're there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #12
Retread
Established Member

M.O.C. #4969
I went around and installed all the cord spools correctly so the strings wrap around the spool instead if sticking out the end like they come from the factory. I then loosened the strings until they just keep the blind from falling down. Once the strings are set so the blind is level then I put a spot of superglue on the day shade fabric and glue it to the bar so it can't slide sideways. The blinds can now be raised and lowered without them going crooked and popping off the end cap. I can now open the pesky one behind the dining table with one hand as long as I pull the bar out to clear the window knob.
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote