Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
melanie7ny
Established Member

M.O.C. #8832
water lines fozen!

hello everyone! we are on long island, ny, where we're in a little bit of a freeze! yesterday reached about 20 degrees, with a windchill of 0 degrees! and yesterday we had a little more than half a tank of water, and this morning none! so, we got out the hose and tried to fill the tank. well, the water will run to the all the faucets and everything works perfect, but the tank will not fill! this leads us to believe the water line is frozen going into the tank. if we have the arctic package, and the weather has actually been colder for longer before, why has this happened?
the convience center is not frozen at all, and the pump is working also. does anyone have any ideas? should we use the gravity fill and try to fill the tank that way? tomorrows weather will be about 40 degrees, so everything will thaw, but i would like to get to the bottom of this!

melanie7ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Go SOUTH !!!! NOW !!! When the water thaws you have gone far enough.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Serious answer, yes use the gravity fill. That is all these units had until a few years ago. You indicated that the pump worked and you had water to the faucets so I also would suspect that the power fill line is frozen.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
melanie7ny
Established Member

M.O.C. #8832
i like the first answer better! i guess we'll try the gravity fill, i just dont get why the power fill line would freeze?
melanie7ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
I also suspect that the power fill line runs close to the frame in the "basement" if you look under the slides you will see a 3" hole where the hydraulic ram comes through the frame, big hole. In cold weather you should stuff some sort of insulation in it, also the belly is screwed to the frame, mine had hugh gaps between the screws, cault that. If you really want to get into it you drop the underbelly off the frame and add insulation along the inside of the frame and more in the underbelly. Big job but it helps for winter operations.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Just a thought Howe about blowing insulation in to basement area after sealing bottom cover. and slide rams. only down side would be if you had to drop bottom pan. any thoughts
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #7
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Bob, I had thought about that but there is so many nooks and crannies down there, not to mention wiring and hydraulic lines I think it would be best to use batting and foam sheets. The possibility of dropping the belly sometime is fairly great. IMO.. At anyrate anyting would help. Now if I could figure out how to improve the insulation in the slide floors.