Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
5th Wheeling in Winter conditions

Hi my name is Greg and my wife and I live in Canada. She wants to take our 5th (2009 Montana 2980RL) down to Florida for Christmas. As the weather is very unpredictable here, I am not that adventurous and am suggesting we drive down without the trailer and rent a condo or something. I have never driven our 5th wheel in winter conditions and am very concerned...especially experiencing black ice conditions. I would like to know if any other MOC members have any experience or suggests on winter driving with a 5th Wheel.

Greg

Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Greg,

A number of our members have experienced considerable snow and ice and have quite a few stories to share. RLWHIT (Dick) has quite a tale of getting through quite a bit of snow just so he could get to the highway to make his way south.

I think most of us are of the opinion that if we have to put on chains, we shouldn't be driving. But that won't stop most of us from waiting until the conditions improve so that we can make our way to a drier climate.

If you have to travel (and some people HAVE to travel), then chains on the tow vehicle and chains on the trailer are a must. Travel is not as safe, of course, and white knuckles are quite common. Pick the time of day to travel, shorten your mileage expectations, and never let yourself be pushed into something you don't feel safe with.

Some will preposition their trailers in areas where they don't have to be concerned about snow so they can pick it up at their convenience.

A lot of people do it, and every mile brings you closer to warmer, drier weather.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have traveled to Florida from the Detroit area of Michigan for many years. We leave the first part of January and take I-75 down. It has been cleared of ice and snow most of the time and, when it has not been plowed/salted yet, we wait for a few hours or a day or so and it will be cleared. After all, we did have our Condo on Wheels behind us. Don't know just where in Canada you are coming from but the Interstates are usually taken care of quite well between Michigan and Florida, in our experiences. Happy and safe travels to you folks.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
When we were still working we would go to Florida for a few weeks from Virginia, I would be concerned about what would we have to come back in.
One year we had to come back after a 12 inch snow. The main roads were fine but I had to leave the RV 8 miles from home until the back roads were clear.
If you are going until spring go for it.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Greg you are right on to be concerned with pulling your rig in ice and snow road conditions, been there and done that just too many times, white knuckle driving just doesn't do it for me anymore. My advice would be to watch the weather forecast very closely for a couple a clear days to get you down south out of the cold. 2nd, leave enough time in your schedule just in case you run into bad weather and you can just lay over until things improve. 3rd, I personally would never leave home pulling a trailer during winter conditions without having a 4 wheel drive tow vehicle. JMHO. With the right precautions it certainly can be done.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you are time constrained, I would not do it from where you are. A couple from Montreal, nearly rolled their unit on black ice on I-90 near Buffalo. They were heading for the Rio Grande Valley, so a bit different route, but the fact remains that the weather is unpredictable and can change fast. We have heard other stories of people having close calls, or actually rolling their rigs.

Only ways I would consider it would be to either take the rig part way in good weather and leave it in storage somwhere to pick up later. Or, to have enough slack in your schedule that you can stop and wait for better weather.

I would go with the "rent a condo" plan if it were me.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I know you know this, but if you are traveling in that kind of condition, really slow down. I've heard from too many
RVing friends who tell me they travel 65-70 mph because they must get where they are going. I travel at 55-60 mph in dry conditions and drop down to 45-50 in other conditrions. You can do it and it doesn't have to be white-knuckled. If you have a chance sometime, talk to an older "over-the-road" trucker. They do it all the time. The reason I mentioned older driver is because the younger ones, like my grandson, are not that responsible.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We'll be travelling from Western Canada to Arizona in early January with the Monty and a 4X4. We will watch the weather and drive according to conditions. We will make sure we have the time and are not rushed to make deadlines. Living in the north, I have driven trucks and trailers on many winter roads in extreme conditions and no matter how experienced you are; your living on the edge (especially in blowing snow)!! If your restricted in time, then rent the condo and enjoy; if your not rushed for time, watch the weather forecasts and drive accordingly where you can enjoy now and in the future! All the best!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
A trucker taught me this trick years ago. Get behind a 18 wheeler. The wheels are easily seen. Watch the bottom of the tires. You don't have to be very close. If a spray is coming up from the tires as they roll down the road then the road is not frozen and it's not as slick.
However if there is no spray coming off the tires....the road is iced over!!!
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have left for Florida from Northern Ohio as late as the 15th of December. I am not a fan of driving the rig in snow. I would not run I-77 ..to many mountains. I-75 is well cleared just watch for a "window of opportunity" and take plenty of time. I really don't think you will have a problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
That time of year it would be best to go with the Condo. And since you have pull a 5th wheel in Sno or ice conditions. I-77 would be out for sure, but I have driven I-75 many time when there was a lot of Snow and Ice and on I-75 until you get South of Alanta it can be bad driving conditions. And keep in mind of the cold you wouldn't to de-winterize the 5er until you are in deep South and then you would need to winterize it on the way North. Good Luck with your decision. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I didn't see a time frame, but you said the holidays, which I would take to mean a week, give or take. Pulling your trailer at sane speeds is going to take 2 days each way, so if you are limited for time, your going to end up using a lot of it driving.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
One of our most memorable trips was when we got snowbond in a KOA for 3 days in Holbrook Az. The people who ran the KOA were very accomadating opening their game room for a "snowbond potluck party" every evening. Met some great people and had some great parties. We have traveled alot in winter weather. The key is, as others have already said, your schedule must be flexible. When roads get bad just pull over and wait it out. Hugh's tip to watch the wheel splatter of the 18 wheelers is one I must file for future use. Thanks Hugh!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I would not, under any conditions other than an emergency, drag this thing anywhere if there where adverse road conditions...snow/ice. Why would anybody take the risk of tearing up their RV, truck and possible hurt themselves or someone else to get somewhere a day or so early?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote