Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Camping in Vermont in 3 Weeks!

Has anyone every camped in vermont in the winter time? lets say in 3 weeks? Where planning a trip to mount killington ski area and wanted to camp with the monty, then go skiing. Has anyone ever done this? Can you recomend a good place to stay? We won't be using water in our tanks, but are trying to find a place that has showers. I know its going to be cold, we have plenty of propane/ electric heat, im just wondering how the winter expierence will be? Can anyone help? Thanks!

dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
It would be hard to recommend a place to stay because most campgrounds are closed that time of year. However, I'd call the Chamber of Commerce and see if they know of any that may be open.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
haha, yea i noticed! Some places say open year round, but then in quotations they say may-october. Thanks for the tip though! I'll be making phone calls tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
What would be the odds of a hotel letting us camp out in their parking lot?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
I would try calling the campgrounds direct as well. The campground I am in is closed from Nov - Mar but have allowed 3 of us to fulltime here through the winter. The power is on throughout the park but the water is off in all but our row of 5 sites. We have had the occasional overnight traveler come in as well.

I don't think I would ask a motel to camp in their parking lot, but that's just my opinion. Al and Nita gave a great suggestion, one I never thought of before. Perhaps there is a fairgrounds or municipal park the C of C can steer you towards.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
We found one that was open. My main concern is this is my first time doing this. From what im thinking, there won't be anyone there at this campground. I'm not very set on leaving my camper there while we go skiing. The owner/manager told me that he'll be in bike week in florida that weekend, so should i have any questions about hookup or anything, to call on his cell phone. Any advice?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
TOak
Established Member

M.O.C. #9171
Try asking Killington. They just might have RV parking spots in one of their parking lots. Hunter Mt. here in NY have RV parking available. It might be just boon-docking but at least your right at the hill. Just a suggestion.

TOak
08 3400RL Monty
04 Chevy Kodiack
TOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
good point, but i need showers lol. My 5th wheel is still winterized and i cant de-winterize it when its 20 degrees out up there. I may have found one though.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
We got a place! How reliable is the power in campgrounds? I have a generator, but i don't want anyone to walk off with it when im not around, so is it worth bringing it? The last thing i want is no power when its 15 degrees outside.