Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
Closing underbelly heat vent

Has anyone closed/blocked the underbelly storage heat vent in the rig. ? Thinking of doing it while traveling with stops from upstate NY to fl. Will be staying in VA over holidays and would like to pump the heat in the cabin vs the storage area. ? did arise about back flow to the furnace which might trip off. Thanks for any input.

docport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
That would be like blocking your air returns in your house.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I did change the vent to the belly of my trailer. I put a tee on the line to the belly and had the the straight through leg of the tee directed in to the living area with a closable vent cover. When I don't want/need the heat in the basement I leave the vent open, when closed the heat will still go into basement. This way I can still protect the tank when needed. When open the heat takes the path of less resistance and most of it come into the living area.
This was an easy project since the 2" heater line goes through the space under the entery closet, I just cut the duct and added the tee, not additional was needed.
I hated wasting all that heat
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If you are referring to the round vent in the wall that let's heat transfer to basement, and have washer in closet, the water lines run along ceiling of basement and are exposed to ambient temp.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
Well I guess that answers that question. The solution to that is get the hell out of north before winter sets in. Thanks to all the replies... Will be pulling out of the Finger Lakes spend Christmas with the g.kids in Va, then on to Key West. Thanks again for the information.
docport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
That's why there are four tires on these rigs. Point them south and roll them until it's warm.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Best solution to saving heat is to go where it's not needed. Haven't run the furnace yet this winter and may not at all.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
So the little white plastic vent on the basement wall, that comes out under the steps on a 3400, is a return air flow? When the temps dipped into the low 20's a couple weeks ago I taped mine up because so much cold air seemed to be coming in under the steps. Furnace seemed to run fine. Temperature gauge in basement never dropped below 31-35 degrees. So I need to leave that vent open when using furnace?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That vent on mine in the basement is hooked to nothing, I see no purpose for it since the walls do not go all the way to the top of the basement anyway there is lots air going in and out of the basement to the underbelly so what's the point of the Ventif you mean the cold air coming from under the stairs I just put filters behind the stair vents and that helps keep the cold air out of the rig without impeeding air flow much
Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
JandC,
I think what you are referring to is the heat vent for the garage. On mine it is NOT the cold air return for the furnace. There was heater hose behind the wall that was intended to keep the garage warm and protect the pipes from freezing. The vent allows heat into the garage. I stuffed a sock in mine and pulled the vent off and installed shelves instead. We never are in cold weather that we need to worry about freezing.

The cold air return is under the stairs our rig and I assume on yours as well.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The OP did not indicate what model Montana he has, however the furnace in all of them seem to get some return air from the grates under the stairs. Since my 3402RL is the same as BigSkyJimmy's the vent in the storage compartment wall is another one of Keystone's engineering marvels. No one knows why it is there, it just is, and is hooked to nothing. As well the wall between the basement and the storage compartment does not go all the way to the top so again it begs the question "why is it there".

Here is a picture of the basement in my 3402RL looking from the storage compartment. There are three flexible pipes coming from the furnace, a 4" goes to bedroom duct, one 2" goes into the underbelly area and the other goes into a small round register in the toilet area. The living area in-floor registers are fed from the bottom of the furnace heat exchanger.

For us the bedroom with one register always seemed to be too warm, the shower area cold when closed off from the bedroom and living area, so I added a register nest to the shower that can be closed off and exchanged the one in the bedroom with one that can also be closed off. We now have a grand warm area when we get out of the shower on a cold morning and don't roast in the bedroom.

Simple mod made by cutting the floor the size of the new register into the bedroom ducting.

Closing off the 2" vent into the underbelly will not affect the operation of the furnace, you will get less heat into the underbelly area and your pipes could freeze if it is cold enough, that is the only thing you might want to consider.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Does that 2" vent really heat the underbelly?
The underbelly is a huge area with many leaks.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I am less confused than I was. Before posting my question about the return air I pulled off the material I had sealing the little white vent. Last night it got down to 14 degrees. We kept 2 ceramic heaters going and furnace on 68 degrees all night. This morning the temperature in the basement was 31 degrees. So Chip I am guessing that it does contribute a little to the heating of that underbelly area, but probably not much. We have 18 days before pulling out for Florida and it couldn't get here fast enough!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

Does that 2" vent really heat the underbelly?
The underbelly is a huge area with many leaks.
The 2" hose in my 3402 ends perhaps 6" from what you see in the picture, that is right above the black and gray holding tanks. The furnace draws air in from that whole area, including the underbelly and storage compartment along with what comes from the living area under the steps. In my opinion most of the air discharged from that 2" hose gets recirculated and precious little would make it far into the underbelly. The metal under floor ducting running the length of the living area likely contributes more to heating the underbelly area than does that hose.

JandC are you measuring the temperature in the storage compartment or actually in the underbelly. Is what you call the basement the area behind the wall of the storage compartment where the furnace is located.

It really is too bad there is not an option for a more efficient furnace, these things waste an enormous amount of heat.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we are very fortunate to be able to stay in Moderate climate year round. Our thermostat is on A/C guess we should see if the furnace works. We have used the fireplace to take the Florida chill off.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #16
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Last night it got down to 14 degrees. We kept 2 ceramic heaters going and furnace on 68 degrees all night. This morning the temperature in the basement was 31 degrees.
I put 2 drop lights with 75Watt bulbs in the basement when it gets cold, keeps the basement a good 10 degrees warmer than without.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #17
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Irlpguy, I have the temperature sensor in the storage area. I installed new weatherstripping to all my hatches and have been monitoring that area to see what difference it has made.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
My new High Country doesn't have the vent in the basement wall like my 07' 2955RL had. Instead, there is a metal duct going thru the basement that feeds the bedroom. That is supposed to provide radiant heat to the basement. Really don't think it will provide much heat.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote