Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Winter Camping

For those of us poor souls that live in weather and have to winterize but still want to use the Monty on a nice weekend I have a question...

I always take my batteries out in the Winter and I'm curious if you all do that as well? The pink antifreeze is the easy part of winterizing, taking those heavy batteries in and out is a REAL pain. They are in a difficult location and I have a bad back.

So, I wonder what others do.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I leave my batteries in. The only reason I would take them out is if I was leaving them without power for a VERY long time.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Mac,

I use a pulse charger, one works for 2 batteries, and I can leave the trailer plugged in year around.
You just about don't ever have to add any water to the batteries and the plates in the battery stay as clean as the day you installed them. We use this technology in the marine industry on the West coast a lot. Batteries can last 4 times as long (in years) as they would with out the pulse charger. Here is a little info, there seems to be a lot of different kinds out there now.

http://www.quarrymarine.com/index.cf...bCategory&ID=1

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
MAC,

I've never removed them, not sure why you would want to. I do take the battery out of the boat; in the event it would ever freeze and crack I don't want electrolite in the bilge. The Montana has a catch tray to catch a spill if it freezes. The batteries shouldn't freeze if you have any level of charge on them.

We just take our antifreeze with us in the winter. We winterize & drain the tanks before we head home.

PS - just ordered a new marine dual battery tray per Mike's (MAMalody) suggestion under Battery Power post http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?P...62&l1=7462&l2=. It is designed to catch the entire contents of both batteries I believe. Next spring it gets the CW golf cart batteries.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I never removed the batteries in our old 5vers, but the dealer recommended always removing them in the winter. I never had a problem before but I never had an "expensive" trailer like my Monty so I followed all their directions.

J&D, I have to store mine outside at a remote location so I can't leave a charger on them all year.

Maybe I should consider putting the batteries back in and leaving them there, my back would love it and my wife woulld stay off my back for lifting too much1

I'm still anxious to hear what others say.

mac
Old 09-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
If you do leave the batery in make sure you disconnect it!Their is draw from a couple things in the spring it will be dead. I store my Monty at the C.G. in Erie Pa Disconnect and some time mid winter I put a charger on it for a few hrs never a problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Ken,

Good point, I never took my batteries out before but I ALWAYS disconnected them.

mac
Old 09-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

MAC,

I've never removed them, not sure why you would want to. I do take the battery out of the boat; in the event it would ever freeze and crack I don't want electrolite in the bilge. The Montana has a catch tray to catch a spill if it freezes. The batteries shouldn't freeze if you have any level of charge on them.

We just take our antifreeze with us in the winter. We winterize & drain the tanks before we head home.

PS - just ordered a new marine dual battery tray per Mike's (MAMalody) suggestion under Battery Power post http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?P...62&l1=7462&l2=. It is designed to catch the entire contents of both batteries I believe. Next spring it gets the CW golf cart batteries.

Brad, Either my firewall here at work wont let me view the link or all of the link isnt there. It may be operator error again.
I will check when I get home.

Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I think it's Brad's link. Blue, you know that neither you nor I could make a mistake!

mac
Old 09-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

I think it's Brad's link. Blue, you know that neither you nor I could make a mistake!

mac
Ahhh hah... It is his link. I just tried at home.... and still nuttin.
Your right Mac, We cant make a mictake..oops.. mistake.

Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I leave my batteries in all year and when at home they are hooked to shore power - 15Amp. During the winter I put antifreeze in and leave my 5er hooked up. I do have the shore power on a time that only runs about 90 minutes per day. That seems to be enough to maintain the charge in the battery in spite of the temperature and any phantom charges there are.

Mike
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Mike,

That's great, but again I have to have my unit stored away from my house with no power so that's my problem. I wish I could keep it close to home but we have covenants that prevent that.

mac
Old 10-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We winterized and de-winterized 4 times last winter.
When we decide to go someplace, we go.

We have never taken battery out; and last December we had that below zero weather for two weeks. We do keep our Monty plugged in all the time.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My sister has a fifth wheel that they store for the winter and they hook up a small solar charger to keep some life in them during the winter months. They just sit the charger on the top of their rig....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Phil,

See if you can get more information from your sister on that solar charger.

Thanks,

mac
Old 10-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #16
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We do not winterize, as we try to get out 1-2 times every month year round. We keep it plugged in with the furnace set low. We do have to pay for a little propane. Since the subject line was winter camping, it is some of our favorite times. The campgrounds that remain open are quiet and it is cozy inside the Montana.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm, interesting, I pull mine and store in garage (worried about cold temperatures in North East). Charge them once during the winter months. BTW, never store batteries on concrete floor! Sucks the life out of 'em!
Chuck-n-Linda
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used to leave the battery in but had the coach plugged into a 15 amp outlet on our patio. I checked the battery water level about once per month but never had a problem with low water.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hey MAC - Flushing the antifreeze back out tomorrow morning! Outa Here Gonna try Meuller.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I always heard a full battery will not freeze. You'd want to check the battery occasionally to make sure it is full. Because there will be a draw on the battery all the time I'd disconnect the battery when it will not be in use frequently in the winter. Otherwise it will soon not be full and thus subject to freezing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote