Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Cool Weather Camping Question

Last night it got down to 22 degrees, nice and toasty in the Monty. But I noticed that the floor over the basement in the bedroom was a little cool. I thought about bringing out a 110/120 outlet in the basement and run a small electrical ceramic heater to warm up the area. Has anyone done this to help with extreme temps?

Thanks and Happy Camping!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Isn't that area supposed to be kept a bit warm with heat ducts and such??

Don't notice the cool floors there so much as the non-carpeted areas in the main living area. Whew, they are fine as long as the furnace is running, but if no furnace, them there floors is chilly! We wear slippers during the cooler weather and put down extra rugs on the areas that are not carpeted.

Gotta have the furnace run some, using just electric heaters, or the fireplace if you have one, does not warm up the basement or the areas where the water lines run. We do NOT put an electric heater in the basement, even tho Al has an extra outlet or so down there for other uses.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
I haven't checked yet, but is it possible to have the furnace fan run on constant to equalize the temps in the Monty and avoid the cool floor problem?
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, several have done that. I saw a couple of them at the rally and am contemplating doing that on ours. One had a heater that plugs directly into the outlet. No cord, just the plug on the back of the heater so the heater lived on the wall of the basement, up against the outlet. Doesn't take much room and not much chance of something bumping against it and starting a fire.

Carol, there is a little heat into the basement storage area. Just enough to keep it from freezing. But it's still pretty cold relative to what is comfortable inside. Also, the floor above the overhang area obviously is not heated and that part can get noticeably cool. About all I can think of to warm that floor is to skirt the overhang area and put a heater inside the skirted area. As for us, we'll probably just use throw rugs on the floor for additional insulation and wear socks and slippers when walking around in subfreezing weather.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
KKKKKKKKKK Steve,

Thanks for clarification.

I am so bundled up in the cooler weather, I guess I did not notice the bedroom/bathroom floors being cool too!

It only took ONE night in cooler weather to convince me that I had to wear shoes/slippers ALL the time in there if it was below, ohhhh 45?? BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Hey, let us know if you notice any difference this December, between the new 2007 and the ole 3295 you had. Since they have improved the low number temp, wonder if that will make any difference in the comfort level you get.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I actually don't have a furnace diffuser in the basement, just a duct running through it. When I cut one in the bathroom I may consider adding an adjustable diffuser for the basement area.

I can't emphasise enough you have to be careful putting any electric heater in a concealed space that has potential for having stuff fall against it or with insufficient clearance. Most have tipover protection but something falling against it will restrict airflow and cause an overheat. Even a 1200 Watt electric coil heater will generate enough heat to ignite canvas, nylon fabric, cardboard or even the heaters plastic housing if the airflow is restricted. Be careful where you put it!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, we were plenty comfortable in the 3295, even down to minus 5 F. We wore warmer clothes, same as we used to do in a stick home. We'll film the windows in this one, too, since we didn't get the dual panes (mistake?). I think the big difference will be not having to do anything more than making sure the furnace runs to keep from freezing our water lines. That and heat taping our water hose and the park's water pipes.

Brad, I'm not sure where the heat comes from but probably there's an opening to the belly. When we froze up last year we turned the furnace up to 75 for 24 hours and put dinner plates over about 2/3 of each furnace vent, to force more heat into the belly. When I opened the laundry chute door I got a blast of very hot air. So I know there's heat getting in there from somewhere. There were no leaks in the furnace ducting that ran through there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,
You're rig is a lot newer than mine. Do you have a vent down there, or are you saying it doesn't and you still get heat? I've honestly never checked but after reading your post maybe I should actually check it before I go to the trouble to install a diffuser.

Brad
Old 10-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
I suggest buying a heated matress pad, because the cold under the 5th wheel sucks the heat from under you while in bed. I bought one for $80 at Target that has a temperature controler on both sides of the bed! It paid for itself the first night I had it.

I have a remote temperature sensor in the basement area of the house and it is always about 60 degrees down there with the furnace running every now and then. There are no open heat vents in the basement only ducting running through there. The ducts emit enough heat to keep it at 60 degrees. I also put 1" styrofoam insulation in the cieling of the basement area and lined the doors with reflectix imsulation. I was going to insulate the water lines in the basement, but since monitoring the temps I don't think I will.

Important* buy the heated matress pad!!!!!
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I have completely insulated the ceiling in my basement on our 3670RL. It has completely changed the floor temp in the bedroom. I used foil covered 1 inch eurethane insulation, and taped all the joints with foil tape. If there were a spark down there, it will not burn, because all exposed insulating material is covered with the foil tape. It took a while to do this, but well worth the effort. I am sitting here in Wisconsin with 32 degree temps. I would never use electric heat in the basement, unless you are worried about pipes freezing, and you used one of those radiator type heaters on low. Hope this helps you!
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
If you did want to use an electrical heater in the cargo area, could you put it in the laundry chute and not worry about it? I am talking about one of the disc heaters that shuts off when it tips over.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Driftwood gal - it's whatever you feel comfortable with. Knowing my luck Dory would put a heater down there and I would end up throwing one of my polyester Hawian shirts or latex underwear in the chute on top of it .

Although they have tip over, you have to watch for things falling on them, even as a result of moving something around from the side cargo doors. They also need good airflow and adequate clearance in front of them.

Just my opinion, but with the 50A limited electrical service to the Monty, I'm not sure I would waste the amperage for a heater down there. It would seem to make more sense to insulate it, or even cut in a vent from the 4" furnace duct down there to heat the space better than it already is if it was really bothersome. I would save the electric heat capacity for the upstairs.

Brad
Old 10-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #13
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
FWIW, we use to use an electric heater in our 8 x 10 cabin style tent for a couple years (and slept on an inflated air bed). I had the heater plugged into a power strip/surge protector (and then a heavy duty extension cord rated for the heater hooked to the CG electrical box). It was the type mentioned above - if you even just tipped it slightly it shut off automatically. It never got hot to the touch. You could actually hold your hand on it so children or pets would not get hurt from it. Of course, we never tent camped in 30 degree weather but some nights it would be in the low 40s and I stayed warm and believe me I am the first to complain about being cold. It had a temperature control on it and fan so it automatically turned on/off according to how you set it. I don't know how safe it would be in the storage area of an RV but just thought I would share.
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Please Please Please do not use an electric heater in your monty. If your in a place for a period of time look at getting some type of skirting for your monty. I have read too many sad stories which were caused by space heaters starting a fire.
Be careful out there.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #15
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We use a ceramic heater to supplement our furnace and save gas. We are very careful to place on the cabinet in the kitchen and don't leave anything flammable around.

We don't have a belly storage like a fifthwheel, but for those of you who do I was wondering if you could put one of the oil filled radiator type heaters down there. It could be secured so that it couldn't fall over and could be protected so that something flammable couldn't come into contact with it. They only get warm, not hot, so that you can touch them and they are thermostatically controlled. I've never used one but they might be a safe way of heating the underbelly. Also, if you have a 50 Amp service, power shouldn't be a concern as a 50 Amp service is actually made up of two 50 Amp legs which is really 100 Amps. If on 30 Amp power you could run a seperate 20 Amp connection to the 20 Amp plug on the shore power pedestal. I'm just thinking out loud here, so, feel free to shoot this down if you see any problems.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #16
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
If your rig is sealed up properly, you should not need supplemental heat. I went to walmart and bought paper binder clamps and sealed up the belly where the cover sags. That has helped tremendously to keep the floors warm. As I stated before, I have also insulated the basement ceiling. Any heat that get there, will not escape to the bedroom, but stay in there to keep the pipes warm, and your floors will also be warmer above. Keep warm!! The extra effort is worth the results. You will be happy you spent the time doing the "little things" unless of course you like buying tanks of LP and big electric bills. Good luck!
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lamar - I'm not sure that's correct on the 50A x 2. I believe it's just 50A. 30A + 20A.

Brad
Old 10-20-2006, 03:07 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ok, Al is the electrican, but he has explained this to me a couple of times.

Older Montanas, like the one that SteveR just traded had the 30 20 set up.

Ours, has 50 50 set up. Not to hurt anyones feelings but he calls ours a real 50 amp.

I'll go duck now while you throw electric cords and stuff at me!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:55 AM   #19
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Well now I can't believe someone hasn't suggested this. Heading South can help with this a whole lot... (I know many can't use this option so don't burn me for this one please.)

We use an oil heater and a ceramic now. We leave the ceramic on top of the stove or in the middle of the kitchen floor far away from anything. The oil heater next to the shower for the executive warm towel after shower feature. Works good, only thing is we run them on the lowest setting only.

Once we get our new 3400 next week I think the oil heater will take up residence in the basement. Besides not executives just a couple of worker bees here...

As far as a ceramic heater in the basement my guts tell me no way, oil OK.

Remember the ........
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:41 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Carol,

Guess Al and Lamar are right. I just looked at a pedestal and it is two-50's. Always thought it was just a combo of the 30 & 20 from the pedestal (like how my generator is configured to produce it's 5500 watts). I can honestly say I've never plugged into a 50A. The factory cord is still coiled up in the laundry basket in the storage space just like it came from the Dealer (almost 4 years ago now).