Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2006, 06:32 AM   #1
Jon and Dottie

M.O.C. #6605
Ran out of gas LP that is

The ambeint temp was about 35 degrees F and I fired up the LP operated Genset then got the furnace going, turned on the fireplace and about a half hour later with two full tanks of LP I ran out of gas. the feed bottle was covered with frost to about the 3/4 full mark and the guage read empty. Anybody got any thoughts on this

Jon and Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:48 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Hello Jon,

I don't think you actually ran out of propane. The frost on the outside of the tank is a good indicator of the propane level on the inside of the tank. I'm not a propane guru, so I can't explain what has happened, but I have seen this happen before. Turn the valve off on the frosted tank, make sure the other tank valve is open, and try the furnace or fireplace again. After the frosted tank thaws, it will work fine.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Lonnie,
The frost on the tank tells you what the level is in that tank. Frost only shows when you are drawing from the tank. A lot of times when I think it is time for the automatic switchover to "switch over" to the other tank, I check the tank that's being drawn from and see that there is still a frost line on the tank. That tells me there is still some gas in the tank.

I don't know what the answer is to your problem unless it has to do with some kind of "vapor lock" in the lines. Try turning off both tanks, then turn on the one being drawn from (slowly), then try lighting you a burner on your range. If it works, then your propane is working. Then turn on the other tank (slowly). I know you know all this, but just reiterating.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Orv,
I agree with you about the frost level showing the amount of liquid propane in the tank. That is why I don't think Jon had run out.

I have a propane heater that I heat my garage with, and sometimes the tank freezes up causing the heater to starve for fuel. If I pick the tank up and shake it around, the heater works normally for a few minutes, then back to starving. If I change tanks, the heater works normally until the new tank freezes up, by which time the previous tank has thawed, change back to the first tank, and the heater works fine again. This is why I suggested turning off the tank with the frost on it, leaving the other tank open to run the furnace. This may not be the problem at all, Jon is having, I just suggested it as a starting point.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
You did not run out of propain, the high use caused the liqued to freez. I had a filler nozel replace the tank was full and that is how they did it to remove the shut off/filler nozel they just opened it up vented it above the roof (Illeagal now EPA would go cray) and it froze up in a mater of minutsthey unscrewed the valve and pot on the new one. I still had 3/4 of a tank when it defrosted.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Mike-n-Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #6517
This has worked for me...

Take a drinking cup of warmish-hot water and pour it down the side of the tank. You will hear the liquid propane inside the tank start to boil (turn to gas) a little bit. After a cold night using alot of propane I have switched back over to the "empty" tank, used the hot water on it and went through the rest of the day on the "empty" tank.

This has worked so well for me I have considered putting some type of very mild heat source in the tank compartments. Something like a light bulb mabey. This is just me thinking... so be careful now. This would help to squeeze all of the useable propane out of the tanks on those cold cold nights. And might just get us through till morning when we run low for whatever reason.

Hope that helps and doesnt get anyone into trouble.
Mike
Mike-n-Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Jon and Dottie

M.O.C. #6605
Thank you one and all for your ideas and opinions and advice. We just got the trailer and haven't even had it out on the maiden voyage yet. Hope to meet a few of you folks when we get rollin.
Jon and Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
One tip I got from the repair man at a propane refill station is this. Upon opening the valve on a tank, open it fully, then close it completely and then open it one full turn.This is supposed to make the valve orifice the controlling factor for gas flow. JMO
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
years ago when I was in upper Wis. on recruiting duty. had the propane freezing all the time. It was the valve and regulator. They switched to a different type of propane never froze again even down to 25 below. Can not remember the name but think it had butane mix.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:21 AM   #10
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
I have never heard of propane freezing at 35. They used to use propane to fuel school buses at home, and they didn't freeze until -30. (Kids were always hoping for -30 as they knew NO School!)
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
SMC,

It's not the Propane that freezes, its the moisture in the air around the equipment. When the Propane transitions from liquid to vapor, or when the vapor transistions form high pressure to low pressure through the regulator, is brings the equipment below freezing, causing frost. The frost can occur inside the valve or regulator as a result of moisture contamination in the tank itself. Each time you change tanks or open valves, you are introducing moisture.

When we run the generator in a humid climate, the regulator turns into a ball of frost.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The frost in the regulator thing happend to us here in Apache Junction last week. The overnight temp was maybe 38 Degrees,
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #13
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
This is my fourth Fill up in the RG Valley since our arrival - at least it is reasonable $13.50 if you take it down the street or filled in park for $17.00 oh that is for a 35 pounder. $1.93 A Gallon.

John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #14
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
One other, similar, problem we ran into is when it is cold out. We arrived late at night and it was very cold (23F). I rushed to get the wife inside and the heater lite off and ended up only opening one tank. Ran out of gas in the middle of the night. Luckily we had two elec cube heaters going and electric blanket. Realized in the morning why the heater had stopped working I rushed out and opened the valve on the second tank. I opened the valve on the back up tank too fast and froze up the regulator. It wasn't obvious that I did this. I mean the stove lite and even burned good for about 10 secs and then died. Wait a few minutes and the pressure in the line build back up and we could light the stove but it soon died again. I thougth both tanks were empty although the back up felt heavy. Taking both to the campground office to be refilled confirmed that the back up was full and the first tank over half full. Lesson is, if opening tank valves when it is cold out do it slowly. It may not prevent the valves from still freezing up under heavy usage but you will at least get to that point.

BIll
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote