Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
It's 18 Degrees Outside and Dropping

I am a protective kind of guy. I love Miss Monty and want to make absolutely sure nothing bad happens. We have just started a week of temps below 30 degrees with an inch of ice on the ground. The lows through Friday are supposed to be mostly below 10 degrees. I bought a 100LB Propane tank and connector hose to hook up to Miss Monty then set the thermostate to 50 degrees so I could make absolutely sure she is protected from these cold temps. After hooking it up and turning up the heat my spouse said I was taking the protection of Miss Monty too far and wasting money.

I have winterized her and know everything should be ok...but with temps this low and an inch of ice on the ground I want to be absolutely sure I am protecting my investment.

My question is...have I went overboard with my protective nature of Miss Monty? I seem to be protecting her more than the stick house these days. I need some unbiased opinions and I know this is just th eplace to get them.

I am the bread winner of the family and make more than enough to care for Miss Monty this way so I am trying to understand what the problem is. I think it is time to start using selective hearing with the spouse.

Thanks gang!
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Hi Phil - We have stored TTs, a MH, and now our second Monte outdoors. When winterized we have never had a problem with snow, ice or temp. Relax and enjoy - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Forgot to say we are in Michigan.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Do whatever you feel comfortable doing worth YOUR investment, Phil. I love my Montana, and even though we FT in ours, if I had to winterize ours -which makes me sad to even think about it - I would probably drive over to see it every day. Yes, my wife would think I was nuts...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
There really is no need to heat it unless you're going to be in there.
Mine is in storage too, 3rd winter for this rig, and once I'm done with it I pat it on the side and say see you later.
The only time I put heat to it is when I'm going out to work on it or I want to hang out for a bit and watch a movie or something.
No problems with it yet, and it's very easy to get ready when the season changes again.
It's near zero at night here now, and the cold stretch will soon be here.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
It's cold...winterize it. Want to save a buck or two (if you winterize several times a year) save the old antifreeze and reuse it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
you are pulling our collective leg, aren't you...
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It was 8 °F here in Victorville, CA this morning (Saturday) when we got up. But we are toasty warm in our Montana.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You may be over doing it but we have done the same thing for years. Since we have been able to store along side the house we winterized always using twice as much anti freeze as needed..it's cheap.. and kept them powered up with a electric heater set in the inside.If it got really cold zero and below we would set the furnace to @ 40.Don't know if it helped any but never had any kind of a problem and it made me feel better..that is priceless.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
When the units come off the assembly line and are sitting on the lots to be sold they are not heated but they are winterized. To me winterized means all lines with water in them are cleared of water and normally replaced with antifreeze. The sink and shower traps are filled with antifreeze and each holding tank has antifreeze in them. The fresh water tank and hot water heater drained. When we winterize, all foods items that could freeze or boxes that varmints can get into are removed. I stored mine near Rochester, NY for two years this way. We did use it in May each year while on R&R from overseas.

The bottom line. If you properly winterize then it will survive. If you add heat then it will survive and you can access when you want without freezing. As stated you paid the big bucks for it, it is your baby, do what you are comfortable with and enjoy.
Welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #11
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I'm thinking a warm, unoccupied space is ideal for the local vermin to make a comfortable home in. Don't make a mouse Holiday Inn!!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with the DW on that one . Got several thousand RVs here in CO that are winterized and well below freezing for the last 30 days. They all come out fresh in the spring!

Save the LP and buy the DW some flowers!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:19 AM   #13
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
You should probably do what you are comfortable with, but here is our winter procedure: We are in central Oregon at 4200+ feet elevation. The Montana is "stored", outside, near the barn. She is winterized and we keep a small electric heater inside to keep moisture out. Last year there was 4' of snow everywhere and it got cooooooooold - Montana came through with no problems other than having to replace a cracked vent cap when we were finally able to clear the snow off the roof. This year, same procedure and it has gotten down to zero and below. Still no problems.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote