Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Winterizing, NO, not the pink, the REST!!

OK, people, it is that time of the year for a whole bunch of us that have reasons to stay up north in the cold. Ya, I know, the best way to handle all of this winterizing stuff is to head south, blah blah blah but, some of us have to stay up here for a variety of reasons. soooooooooooooooooooooo

What steps other than putting in the pink, blowing out water lines, cleaning out frig, doing something with the battery, what else do you do??

Do you??

Take out all food stuffs??

Take out all CD's, DVD's, Telies?? Computers??

What else do you do?? What do you feel is necessary and why??

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Carol, Those are really good questions. We remove all canned goods, jars that have liquids, and anything that is battery operated (cold is ok but freezing is not)(you can just remove the batteries). Also, remember to remove the battery in the smoke detector. Don't forget the things in the basement that may be harmed/or do harm by freezing and breaking. In the past we have removed the Tv but found that it was not necessary. The laptop, cameras, CDs & DVDs all come inside with us(not for protection but for use). Depending on how long you are storing the trailer determines if you remove all food stuff. We generally bring it in the house and use it. Get fresh next season.

Having said all of that, we are headed for south Texas, have a nice winter. Ta-Ta Bob & Karen
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Along with the normal stuff - we also

Remove the flat screen TV about January - (Viewsonic can only tolerate -4 degrees in storage).

Any other LCD display (phones, laptops, etc).

Toiletries - water based soaps, toothpastes, deodorants, etc. They expand and make a mess, not just from freeze but also from extreme heat.

We still have a bad habit of leaving 1 or 2 water bottles in there that we stashed. It shows up in the spring split open and empty. We did a thorough search this time, but then we always do and still miss 1 or 2.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Carol-
Do I understand- no trip to the RGV this year?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Charlie,

The trip is still planned, in fact, one reason I asked this question, is that we actually hope to start out of here about 2 weeks earlier than usual.

HOWEVER, we still must winterize and I have been carting stuff to the garage for several days, I am tired, I cannot believe that much stuff was in there (well, yes, I can, we lived in there from July 14th to November 1st due to the trouble in the house). I keep opening drawers and cupboards and finding MORE and MORE! Stuff I have always taken out in the past, and started wondering on the 75th trip to the garage and or house, maybe I am taking stuff out of here I don't need to, maybe I am making too much work of this, maybe I am gonna groan even louder when I have to reverse this process in less than 6 weeks.

If I was independently wealthy, I would heat that monster and NOT do all this moving, alas, after the bill comes in on the house repairs, I won't have the $$ to heat Tana for 6 weeks and not be living in her.

SOOO, please people, keep up the feed back

and, question: Do ink pens freeze???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Be sure pink comes out of the outside shower. Easy to forget that one.

On the city water connection either 1) pull the hose off the connector in the bottom cabinet of the curio cabinet, or 2) pull the screen off the connection and push the white pin to relieve pressure and allow the water out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We take paper products out also, in case our 4 legged friends would visit. Also this year we removed all can goods, and were surprised to find that we had several duplicates. Who needs 3 cans of Cincinnati Chili? It seems now we are of the opinion that it's easy to run to the store and purchase if necessary. Saves weight also. Normally, I overpack; hence duplicates. We even removed linens and always take the cameras and laptops in the house. This year when we pull her out; we will be starting from scratch.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Could someone (Steve??) please explain in more detail about the city water inlet. Does it hold water even when the low-point drains are dumped, is there some sort of valve??? Haven't done this before is the past so as usual sounds like it is time to learn something. Also detailed lessons on blowing out lines will be useful to us non-knowers. Thanks,
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Back to OP, we always make sure frig and freezer doors are propped open to eliminate mildew and mold forming, not just winter, but all times Monty is not is use.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
REMOVE ALL FOOD STUFF INCLUDING WINE!
use sticky traps, decon and fox urine chystles.
check for mice often.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I put cat litter out in disposable aluminum pans (casserole size). I use the non-scented variety and place them in each room/area. They absorb moisture and prevent that stale smell. I also close all my vents and resist going into the unit until I am getting it ready in the spring. Batteries get removed and given a top up charge before being placed in my garage for the winter. I check them every couple of months and top them up if required. I leave the fridge and freezer doors open as well as all cupboard and closet doors. Bounce sheets go in amongst the bedding. I put a half gal of plumbing anti-freeze in the holding tanks. The air conditioner gets wrapped up tight with a plastic tarp to keep snow and ice from building in or under it. I used the regular cover once and it blew off. All exterior locks get a shot of Jiffy Lube. Tires and air suspension get a pressure check.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
The way I look at it just about everything is shipped in trucks at some time or another. I do not see any heated trucks hauling goods around so if it can live being shipped to Maine via truck freezing wont hurt it. A trailer could sit for weeks without being unloaded going thru a few freeze/thaw cycles. If it could freeze and break open its out of there. If rodents can easily tear it open its out of there. Everything else stays.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Following the rule of batteries I also lubricate moving parts, jack screws on stabilizers, hinges on outside doors and locks. By doing before a freeze it helps to remove and keep moisture out. At least that is my opinion. Turn off Propane tanks. Best of luck and tow safe
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Bingo, Blowing out the lines is a way of winterizing that does not require filling the tanks with antifreeze and pumping through all of the water lines. My method is to drain all of the tanks, the water heater, and the low point drains. I then hook up the air compressor set at 40 lbs (5 less than water pressure) and then open each faucet in the trailer, one at a time until no water comes out. Note: I leave the tank valves open so the water pushed into them drains away. Do not miss any valves or faucets. After you have completed this step, re-open the low points to release any drain back. Once all of this is done, pour the pink into each drain until the "J" traps are full. Use the pedal or handle on the toilet to blow out that line too! Pour a little in the toilet bowl. If you have a black tank flush system, remeber to blow out that line as well. This method has worked for me for the last 5 years and uses less that a gallon of pink per winterization. The pink that overflows the traps will handle any water that remains in the tanks. In the spring, or next warm snap, all you have to do is fill up with fresh water and go camping. No need to flush the lines! The best way is still going south, but read my post in the Announcements section. Bob

ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:16 AM   #15
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
One more thing, I put my wheel covers on so the weather (sun) don't bake the tires. I know it is hard to bake anything when it is freezing outside, but it just makes me feel better knowing that I might save a tire from weather checking...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #16
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Bingo: about that city inlet..................
I never worried about it for 10 years in my motorhome, nor the first year with the Monte. Never had a problem. Last year, I read so much into it here in the forum, I figured I better do it. Mac and I both screwed up, and messed up our inlet valves by doing it wrong. All you need do is remove the filter screen in the inlet fill. You will see the top side of the fill valve, and a small white plastic pin will be visible in the center. Gently depress it and it will release the vacuum holding a bit of water in that line. NOW, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE THE WATER PUMP TURNED ON in the coach when you do this, or the back pressure will cause an o-ring in the valve to become disoriented, and water will shoot out at you. Then you would have to remove and disassemble the valve assembly, and reorient the parts of the valve, and reinstall it. (Yes, been there, done that.)
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #17
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Our Montana is stored in our barn when not in use. She's always plugged in to an 30 amp. outlet and the battery is checked often for water. When our camping season is over all food stuff is removed, frig is cleaned and proped open and the bed is even made up ready to go. I also throughly clean the inside of the camper. I then leave my slides open and the screen door open. In Michigan we have the occassion warn spell in January, when that happens I will then close the slide-outs and the door. I will then every few weeks go and open the door again. I think that helps keep the trailer to stay fresh. I've done this for 4 years now with no problems. I do remove all disposable batteries from things and start each season with fresh ones. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #18
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I didn't know all the batteries had to be taken out. We use to store batteries in the freezers at home to make them last longer...Guess that was wrong.
We will remove all the batteries. Have 6 remotes!! And batteries in smoke alarm.

We also remove all can food, and all other foods. Still need to turn off fridge. Our trailer is plugged in all winter. Been doing that for years and every 5er we have owned.
We have two of those electronic mouse, bugs and critter things. Works well for us.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #19
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I may be wrong, but I think the batteries that need to be removed are the main 12-volt (or 6-volt golf cart) batteries, not the remote or flash light batteries.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #20
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Most 1.5v and 9v batterys will not freeze, however if they should expand and split, you have one heck of a mess to clean up in their battery compartment of what ever they are installed. The acid/chemicals will have had plenty of time to do its damage when spring comes and you start getting ready to use the Montana again.

Only takes a few minutes to remove them, and gives you the oppertunity to buy fresh ones for the spring.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote