Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Towing with furnace running?

Do you guys tow with the furnace running in your Monty? The last two winters, we have headed south from Colorado with anti-freeze in the Monty's veins. It would be nice to travel with the tanks filled and ready to use when we stop. The idea of running with the furnace on makes me nervous. However we run with the refer going all the time.
Thanks,
Jerry

daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't know what the safety gurus will say (but I will whisper that we do it when it is cold since the pets ride in their cages in the rig). We also ride with the fridge on. This is simply my truthful answer to your question, it is not to be considered advice in any way.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
daneboy, For what it is worth, I choose NOT to tow with propane open. There is a quote in this months Gypsy Journal and it is: "There are two tyes of people who tow with the gas open, those that have had a fire and those that will!" Don't know how big a problem this is but since I don't travel in the freezing weather I prefer to turn it off. This is JUST my opiinion...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sure the safest thing to do is to run with the propane off. We have never in over 25 years of Rv'ing seen, first hand or personally know of a rv catch fire as a result of propane being on but are sure that it can and has happened. We do run with the fridge on propane and have on 1 or 2 occasions run with the furnace set at 50 degrees while on the road till we got out of the freeze zone. Think it is one of those issues where you examine the risk and take your chances.Like running over weight or over Cargo Capacity. You know the "been doing it for years and never had a problem" cop out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
You know, I tow with the propane on to keep the fridge cold playing the odds that an accident won't make those bottles explosive. I know the SMARTEST play would be to close the bottles when moving and use an inverter to power the fridge but I'm not yet equipped.

As for the furnace I'd never consider that. A small flame to heat some ammonia is one thing with the fridge but a fire moving over a heat exchanger and blower assembly is quite another!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have done the last couple of winters, that said, it is your choice, etc.

Safety says you should turn the gas off at the fueling stations.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've only witnessed one fire caused by having the refrigerator running on propane. That was when the party pulled in to a service station to fuel up. Gas fumes around the pumps were pretty heavy and apparently the fumes reached the refrigerator vent and POW! and explosion. The entire rig was destroyed as well as the pumps nearby. That service station is no longer in business, having been put out of business by a large truck stop.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The propane system is designed and intended to be used while driving...either for the refrigerator, furnace or both. I can't see where it would be a problem. The fire noted above was cause by "gas" not diesel, so a diesel TV would be safer.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Thanks for all the information. I'll see how brave I am, next week when we head for Texas. I'm surprised the refrigerator could start a gasoline fire. Gas fumes are heavy and usualy stay low and the refer flame must be 3 feet off the ground. There must have been a breeze to raise the fumes. I guess we better stick to truck stops with diesel only.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

The propane system is designed and intended to be used while driving...either for the refrigerator, furnace or both. I can't see where it would be a problem. The fire noted above was cause by "gas" not diesel, so a diesel TV would be safer.
You're absolutely right except the fire noted previously was caused by gas fumes in a station where the gas pumps were on the same island as the diesel pumps. In today's service stations you can find two hoses: one for gas and one for diesel on each side of the island. Having witnessed this problem, I'm pretty cautious. I feel it's better to use precaution than just to think everything will be okay no matter what.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have run with furnace running when leaving the Kansas City area after Christmas, several times. Never a problem. Never a noticeable use of propane. I am careful, however, about not getting the rig close to a gasoline pump without first turning off the furnace.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:05 AM   #12
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I believe that there are signs on the fuel pumps saying do not fuel up while smoking or open flames in vehicle, I wonder why?Is that not like playing russian roulette!!!
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:29 AM   #13
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
The only comment I will add is choose your stations if possible. I absolutely hate stations that use the middle island to put diesel on. Usually these are large Speedway stations and it seems the diesel was an after thought.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I personally like the truck stops. Easy in - easy out, and the fuel pumping is much faster than at a service station. Also, I'm restricted, at least in Texas, to $75.00 and the pump kicks off. At truck stops you fuel until you are full.

I asked a DPS (State Trooper) one time about the sign at gas stations saying "No Smoking," He stated that is is not a law, but a company policy. With that said, many times I have seen a person walking across the parking lot to get into their automobile and light a smoke. I guess it doesn't apply to them because the sign says "No smoking when refueling!" Thinking about the many times that I have seen someone smoking, lighting up, or putting out (worse yet) a smoke, I have to think about how far back the flame is to the refrigerator or furnace. When I do think about it, I just leave the refrigerator on propane. I have not yet had to travel with the furnace on. Can't seem to get the wife to ride back there. :-)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I asked a DPS (State Trooper) one time about the sign at gas stations saying "No Smoking," He stated that is is not a law, but a company policy.
Company Policy! hahahahahaha - I like that answer - Would that be called a "cop out"? hahhahaha. The hardest thing for anybody to say is "I don't know". Jee-zoots - try the signs are required by national standards for construction and operation of the fueling station, and the national standards (ICC or NFPA) are adopted and enforceable through the state, city and county as law.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you can run the furnace Jerry. I was wondering if the air turbulance while traveling would mess with the combustion box, but sounds like it has been succesfully done by others. It's the only real way to keep the freeze off of the pipes in the belly.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another point is if it is 15F or so outside, then after a day's run the inside of the rig is likely to be around 25 or 30 or less. With furnace running while on the road it's more likely to be around 40. 40 is still chilly but sure beats the stuffing out of enduring 25 while the rig is warming up.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I know the fridge is "designed" to be operating on gas while in motion. Not sure about the furnace... Just curious - and I know that everyone has an opinion - but what's Keystone's "official" stance on both the fridge operating while under motion, and the furnace operating while under motion???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #18
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Is the fridge really designed to operate while in motion? We're reminded that the very reason to store and park our rigs plumb level is so that there is no damage to the fridge. Going up and down hills, starting and stopping, the variable acceleration is moving that pool of ammonia around so its not being hit with that propane flame.

Yep, I do it and I'm sure Dometic designs their product with travel in mind but I wonder...
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,

In your fridge dometic manual is a full explanation. It says travel and continuous motion is the perfect condition for the refrigerator to operate. Stagnet or still conditions are when you need to worry about being level. Here is the quote from the manual:

When the vehicle is moving, the leveling is not critical,
as the rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will
pass to either side of level, keeping the liquid ammonia
from accumulating in the evaporator tubing.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #20
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That's good to hear about the fridge...we always travel with it running.
I fire it up the day before we go and on the road it runs on propane.

We haven't done many trips requiring fueling on the road, but when I pull up to a pump, the trailer is a ways away from the pump.
If I was running the furnace, I might be more concerned about it and shut things down before fueling.

This topic always seems to get a lot of attention. That's a good thing to have reminders that a person is taking a risk.I know I'll be paying more attention to it in the future.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote