Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Cold draft in front closet...suggestions?

Well, here I am hunkering down for the winter at the campground I'm usually only at in the summer. South Texas in the winter is going to be missed more and more as it gets colder and colder...LOL I'm in the thumb of Michigan, and it gets plenty cold and snowy here! I've tried to follow everyones suggestions and trials to prepare for the onslaught, but I have one problem that I don't know how to fix. I've put insulation board skirting around the entire bottom of the trailer. I put bales of straw around the outside parameters also so the insulation is snugged up good to the trailer (along with TONS of duct tape...LOL). I ran a hardline pvc water line from the pumphouse (the pumphouse is a whole other story)to my trailer. I ran heat tape over that, along with the fiberglass pipe wrap and plastic wrap over that. I built and insulated a box to go over the faucet and waterline that comes out of the ground and heat taped that as well. I have a 370 propane tank outside, so running out constantly won't be a problem. I've put insulated plastic film over most of the windows, and hope to do the remainder over the next few days while it's in the 50's.

I noticed a very cold draft coming from under my dresser at the end of the bed in the bedroom. So, I went out yesterday and placed some of the foam board insulation into the propane tank holding area's. since the bottom is wide open, it gets quite cold in there! However, I noticed the cold draft yet again this morning. I believe I've narrowed it down as coming from the front closet. Since this is the nose of the unit, I don't know what I can do to control this issue. Since this is where Molly my black lab sleeps, I know she would appreciate my fixing this ever growing concern. I run the fireplace at night and have the parrots right by it so they stay nice and toasty. I have a new baby chihuahua that I purchased in Mexico last March, and she sleeps with me so thats not a problem. Although, her feet are awfully cold when she's walking around the floor during the day. Has anyone else come across this front closet problem, and if so, did you come up with a solution? Any suggestions would sure be appreciated!! Thanks...

Jan

Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Jan,
Two ideas, one outside and one inside. Look around your pinbox. There may be space there allowing cold air to come up under the closet floor. Stuff it w/insulation or foam it w/the expandable foam? Also, look inside the pinbox. I added some building insulation inside mine to help out. And look around your closet floor-wall joints. May be some gaps there allowing air in? Just a couple of ideas for you.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would agree with Chris, it's probably migrating up through the pin box opening into the underbelly. Ours just had some some foam seal tape around the edges of the opening that didn't seal anything when that belly pan flexed. Just be careful bending that plastic stuff around if its too cold, if it cracks they are expensive.

BTW, I hope you didn't seal off the bottom of those propane compartments with foam board (assuming you just stuck the board around the top and sides?). That open bottom is a safety design to allow your propane to dump out the bottom if the relief valve ever lets go (propane heavier than air).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I've found that there's a space between the floor of the closet and the back wall of the closet that could let the cold air in. Some foam in there would also help, even if you seal the pinbox.

As an afterthought, I don't know how good the insulation in the front cap is, so a thin sheet of foam on that back wall of the closet might help, too.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Also check the drain and water pipes (I have a 2955RL) the sink is next to the dresser and on the other side is the washer dryer prep area. Both of these have drain and water lines going down into the basement. Won't take long after the heat kicks off for the cooler air to start coming in there.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
wild willy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8295
Our shoe rack/false floor in the wardrobe fell into the front cap. Had it fixed at Keystone but while looking at the problem notice vertualy no insulation between the wardrobe and front cap. Don't know of a fix except insulating the inside of the wardrobe. Good luck.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
After dark, try putting a light inside each outside compartment, basement area, and up inside the pin box area, then go inside with the inside lights out and see if you can see light coming up any where. I had my street side basement doors open one day and happen to be in the stool room and looked down and saw light along the side wall floor molding. There was a small gap between the moulding and wall that went directly down into the basement area. With the basement doors closed (and therefore dark inside), I would never have seen it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Jan,
I've had some experience in the past with placing bales of straw around the bottom of an RV for the winter. I found that it attracted a lot of mice. To get around this, I would put a lot of D-Con around under the rig so that it will get them before they get in the rig. Also, be sure you have plugged any possible holes in the underbelly (where gas pipes and sewer pipes enter and exit). Having said that, I'm certain you will have a very good winter in your rig. BTW, my home of record while I was a career Air Force enlisted man was in Montrose, MI. Very familiar with your area and the winters there.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:06 AM   #9
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Lots of great suggestions! Thanks so much everyone, I'll work on this today and try out some of these idea's.

As a side note...it's very strange to be here completely alone when I'm used to seeing so many people all season long. I've been coming here for 22 years, and have always wanted to be here in the winter, looks like I'll finally have my wish. They had a problem with people pulling the power cords out of the compartments and cutting them for the copper last winter. They asked if I would consider staying here since I have to remain in Michigan with my disability hearing on the near horizon (After 27 months,Finally!!) Being on the Board of Directors, unable to work, and a basic loner anyway, I was the perfect choice. I just rruly love this space, and having it all to myself with just the deer and critters...well I think it will be priceless...:-) I'll drive into town today (9 miles one way) and pick up some expansion foam for around the pipes that go in under the trailer.

I did put foam board under the propane tanks in the compartments, but I did it in pieces so it could easily break away if (God forbid) it needed to. One tank is disconnected completely since the line now runs to the 370 tank, and the other is shut down and won't be used at all. Hopefully this will greatly minimize any issues regarding that.

Thanks again everyone...

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:44 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Jan,

Wondered why you were staying, now, I know.

Enjoy, seeing deer in the AM and early evening is soooooo wonderful

We had 3 cross the street this AM, standing near the road, what a beautiful sight.

Ya got any snow shoes??

Have a great winter and good luck on that hearing.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Connorsmom

I did put foam board under the propane tanks in the compartments, but I did it in pieces so it could easily break away if (God forbid) it needed to. One tank is disconnected completely since the line now runs to the 370 tank, and the other is shut down and won't be used at all. Hopefully this will greatly minimize any issues regarding that.
It doesn't.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I recently removed the shoe rack in the front closet. I am planning on removing the angled shoe rack, and making the space flat for storage. Upon removal of the shoe rack, I found very little insulation. You might try adding some tape to seal around the shelf and shoe rack to block some of the air flow. I will add insulation into the space behind the shelf and shoe rack, then seal the gaps before replacing the trim.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Doggoneit! Wrong thread. I just knew someone had figured a way to put a keg in the front closet.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #14
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
This will be my second winter in my 2955Rl that I use to work out of. I all think the pin box is the problem with the drifts. Some other things I have done that might help, insulate the floor area above the basement with more of that foam board, I would use foam pipe wrap on your cold water pipe line that fiberglass wrap may get wet and freeze faster. On my slide seals I applied a thin piece of foam weatherstrip, the same stuff that one would use on doors seals. I saw that you have plastic on your windows, I cut foil-faced duct wrap to the size of the windows and just inserted it in the frames, it also helped in the summer. Some one posted to insulted the inside of the closet area I'd be afraid that mold might form on the closet wall by doing that? One more thing that helps lots of throw rugs. Best of luck it looks like what you put together will get you through this winter.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #15
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
A note to others that will be closing in the undercarriage for the winter. The problem of rodents in the hay bales can be alleviated by using straw bales. They do not have the seeds and leaves that are in hay, weigh less, and insulate better because of the stems being hollow. Also, they cost less because they are useless as fodder. Bob (ex-farmer)
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
You also have to open the bottom of those lp gas tank storage areas , no tank but the valves are still there and you close them and you get a big bang , and no life after sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Jan, we spent two winters in the Chicago area and put the foam door insulation strips along the bottom and end of the closet doors. This stopped the cold draft from the closet.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:12 AM   #18
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
I had a full skirt built for our 3400, have lived in Steamboat Springs, Co. all winter and now in Pa. till Jan., skirt sure helps ALOT with drafts. Yep, a little pricey but it is our home! Great for freezer and storage, easy up-down and to haul to next adventure in life!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
For that pinbox area, I stuff it with a large throw rug I otherwise keep in the basement storage. I do it more to keep birds getting in there to nest. Never thought a draft getting in that way but when we're in cold areas I'll stuff that pinbox with that throw rug. Just an idea for filling that area with something easy to remove. Thanks for the clue about the pinbox opening.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We purchased a "skirt" to enclose the front of the camper. We purchased it for storage when wintering in Florida and parked for a long period of time. The front closet was always cold. Helen would hold her clothing over the register before putting them on to warm them up. We found that it was warmer in the closet after installing the skirt. My guess is the skirt is preventing cold air from entering via the front compartment and pin box. It was a unexpected but welcome by product.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote