Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
VaughnMB
Established Member

M.O.C. #9983
Yellowstone In The Winter?

Has anyone done Yellowstone in the winter? We are planning to take our Montana around February 10th or so. I'm looking for recommendations on where to stay and any other information on Yellowstone or the surrounding area that might be helpful. I have read many of the other posts on Winter Camping and Driving, which have been very helpful. We have also done a fair amount of snow camping with a previous 5th wheel, but we are looking for some Yellowstone experience.

Thanks,

Mitch

VaughnMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The only place that will accomodate the size of the Monty is the Fishing Bridge campground in the middle of Yellowstone. The other campgrounds are too small for your rig. Fortunately, it is one of the only campgrounds that allow reservations and you should consider getting one. The campsites there are packed tight but I hope you can find a spot.

(removed the travel comments, because they were not correct) Try this link for mucho information:

http://www.yellowstonepark.com/

On edit: I just checked the web link I provided and all but one of the campgrounds are closed this time of year and I don't know if the one that is still open (Mammoth CG) will accomodate your Monty. I recommend staying at the west entrance, because there are several campgrounds, including KOA that are open. I highly recommend you locate a place to stay versus just driving there hoping to get lucky, since dragging the Monty around looking for a place to stay can get frustrating especially in winter precipation.

HAVE FUN out there. Send us some pictures, LOL!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Mitch, Can't help you on camping around Yellowstone in the winter, but what a wonderful place to visit in the winter. All roads in the interior of the park are closed to all but tracked vehicles. We have done this on three occassions, once staying inside the park at Old Faithful and twice we stayed in cabins in West Yellowstone. The snowmobiling is great and the scenery in the park is much different in the winter. When we were there anyone could snowmobile on their own through the park. Rules have changed and you now must go in with a guide. Little more restraining but the scenery would be worth it. Besides the park itself there are miles of snowmobile trails out of West Yellowstone and also down in Teton National Park. I am anxious to see what others have to say about winter camping in the area even though it would not be for me. The weather and the road conditions in that area are too unpredictable for me to tow the monty. It was bad enough in a car from Bozeman to West Yellowstone and from Jackson to the south entrance of the park.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

The only place that will accomodate the size of the Monty is the Fishing Bridge campground in the middle of Yellowstone. The other campgrounds are too small for your rig. Fortunately, it is one of the only campgrounds that allow reservations and you should consider getting one. The campsites there are packed tight but I hope you can find a spot.

From there you can drive to all corners of the park on a per day basis. I wouldn't recommend trying to drive the WHOLE park in one day especially if it's snowy. Try this link for mucho information:

http://www.yellowstonepark.com/
I don't think you will find Fishing Bridge or the roads to it open in the winter.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes, Jimcol is correct that free travel access not possible. You might be able to find a place outside the park and you will need to find other means of getting around in there (guides, snowmobile, etc.) Check in advance!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
There is an RV park just outside the south enterance to Yellowstone that I think is open all year. We were there in late October two years ago.

The only real problem we had was they closed the park roads when there was only a foot or so of snow. Fortunatly they reopened in a day or so.

The one on the east side of the park is Grant Teton Park RV Resort and is open year round.

There also several places in West Yellowstone. We stayed at Grizzley RV Park.

Of the two the one in West Yellowstone was much nicer.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We stayed at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, just 2 or 3 minutes from the park's west entrance, and loved it. We've never stayed there in the winter, but we stayed there last August with "Gramps" (Dave and Leslie from Ririe ID) and thought it was one of the nicest parks we've experienced. The management was especially friendly and helpful.

I don't think anything for RVs is open in Yellowstone Park in the winter. When we were there in January 2 years ago, we stayed at the Moose Creek Cabins (nice little log cabins on Firehole Avenue, quite reasonable) and took a snow coach tour of the park.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We stayed at Grizzley RV Park in West Yellowstone this past September and May of 2008. We also think it is the nicest RV Park we have ever been to. However, it is only open from the beginning of May to the end of October snow permitting.

I doubt you will find an open campground or RV Park in the West Yellowstone area in February. There just isn't enough business to make keeping them open worth the trouble and cost.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
VaughnMB
Established Member

M.O.C. #9983
Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the recommendations. We've also found that there are only a hand full of RV parks open year round. I was also happy to hear that the snowmobile tours are worth the trip too as we are planning on doing that as well. We are really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks everyone!

Mitch
VaughnMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Check with the Brandin Iron Inn. They have some pull thru sites, Im sure they keep them plowed open, you may not have sewer or water but Ill bet theyll let you park there hooked to electric. You can fill the fresh tank before getting there. They have tours in Yellowstone, hottub, breakfast, check it out.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote