Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Winter camping in SE TX???

We're at Port Aransas on the SE TX coast, where we come every year for five to six weeks. We live in central Wisconsin and come down here to escape a few weeks of WI's frozen tundra. Now we know that there are hardy souls who full-time in Alaska, Canada and other frigid winter climes, but SE TX??? Last week...freezing temps and freezing rain. Today through Saturday...freezing temps (lows) and freezing rain (predicted for this afternoon). I swear we took a wrong turn en route!! I'll admit it; I'm a whimp. Take me to the Florida Keys please!!!!!!!!!!!

PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
The Keys is da place! Last year though we had record lows and a record low winter. But it never got below 42 and was warmer than anyplace else in the US you can drive to. This year is back to normal. Upper 60's to lower 70's at night, mid to upper 70's all day with lots of SUN!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
It has been a cold winter in Texas for sure! We live in the Dallas area and most winters we get many periods of 60 to upper 70 degree weather, but this year's has been colder than usual and everyone in the area is ready for spring. In spite of the cooler patterns this year we still have managed to go out every other weekend.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We've had unusual winters for the last two years. I can recall in December 2008 crabbing out near the ferry to Port A. We came here in 2007, and the winters were mild. I threatened to head to the FL Keys last winter, but we decided to just ride it out. Hopefully this will be the last arctic front to push down this far.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We are down in Mission and it is cold down here. 44 right now at 8:44 ct Next year Florida
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Yeah, we have definitely had a cold winter so far here in Texas. I live in Austin and I have never seen it this cold this many times. Brrrr!! I hate cold. Actually, I hate anything below about 45F. Stay warm!!!!

-Chris
cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
We live in North FL and decided it was too cold here. Headed to Padre Island National Seashore the last week of Jan. It was chilly, and then they predicted freezing temps. We had no electric so headed south to Brownsville. Couldn't go any farther south. We were plugged in there and endured the freezing temps and freezing rain. The day we left, we had to wait til 1pm for the ice to melt from the top of our slides. Then had to take surface roads because they closed all the highways with overpasses.

We caught a brief window of nice weather in San Antonio for a couple days, then left to come back to FL before the next front moved in. Don't think we'll do that again. South FL next year!

I will say that the people down that way are very friendly.
FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote