Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Have to add another point to checklist

With my retirement job, camping has been at a premium. Last weekend we headed out and I noticed a little give to our super glide hitch. When we got home, I was unhitching and the trailer hitch dropped about 2 inches as I raised the trailer to unhook. Inspection showed someone had taken the pins out of the back rail and inserted them in the other slot (gives the appearence they are hooked). It looked like I only had two of four pins holding the hitch and trailer on. Scary moment, but lucky this time. I am now looking at ways to secure this. Moral to the story is make sure you check pin hook ups everytime.

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Your very lucky you did have a major issue. To prevent this I have a lock on one front lock and a lock on the rear other side... Very simple just bore out the hole in the keeper pins.. I have heard about people removing the pins but never had that issue. I always do a small bump and pull test before moving after being away from the Truck... Happy Trails.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I like the lock idea. Until I can get some small padlocks I I think I will insert a cotter pin though each hole and bend each leg back all the way. That will not eliminate the possibility of vandals removing the pins but will make it so much work they'll likely decide to not do so.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
locks, almost from day 1.

and we still do visual inspections.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Steve - earlier this year when we returned home from a camp outing, while unhitching from the pin box, we noticed that not only had a safety pin been removed, but also, that the main jumbo pin that holds the two box pieces together had been removed and reinserted the wrong way! So in other words, if this major pin would have slipped out, the trailer would have bounced out from back of the truck!

We know someone boogered with it over night, as the truck was parked in the overflow lot. Boy were we lucky. Learned to check and not assume anymore.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Locks have been a piece of mind for me as well as a theft preventers.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
They make locking pins, so you would not have to bore out holes for padlocks. I have two on my hitch plus a padlock locking the pull handle as well. Don't these idiot pranksters realize they could get someone killed?!!!!!!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Could you please provide your source for the locking pins you are talking about? (Pictures too if you can)These sound like a good idea. I always have my pull handle locked but never thought about the pins.
What kind of demented person would do such a thing? Maybe they need to meet the business end of a Louisville slugger.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881

They make locking pins, so you would not have to bore out holes for padlocks. I have two on my hitch plus a padlock locking the pull handle as well. Don't these idiot pranksters realize they could get someone killed?!!!!!!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The pins are available at the Evil Empire (Wal-Mart), Northern Tool, or anywhere that sells trailering equipment. Instead of a snap pin to go on the end they have a snap on box. They come with a new pin also. You will have no problem finding them.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you have a Reese hitch, Reese makes a part that locks the pin in place and the locking device is held in with a padlock. I have eight on my hitch. Four holding the feet to the bed rail and two on each pivot location. I have the 20K hitch.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John-- Do you have any pictures of those Reese lock devices on the hitch you can share with us? I'd like to see how they fit on the hitch and you padlock the to secure the hitch and pins! May be to early in the morning and my imagination has not kicked in yet!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
H.John I use the device one lock on opsit corners.. However in the past have just bored holes in the existing holes and used pad locks.. I never in fact seen or met someone who had their 5th wheel tampered with, but it does give some protection from someone who has nothing to do but harm someone.. Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

If you have a Reese hitch, Reese makes a part that locks the pin in place and the locking device is held in with a padlock. I have eight on my hitch. Four holding the feet to the bed rail and two on each pivot location. I have the 20K hitch.
this the one I use also there great, I keyed mine up to the house key, one less key to carry.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Would the locking pins that hold the hitch head in a tag-a-long reese hitch not do the job?
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I use a combination of two different locking systems. I lock the Superrails to the posts, lock the hitch base and the hitch to the rails and lock the hitch head to the main hitch body. Here are a couple of pics of my Superglide with the Superrails. Also note the lock for the hitch release handle too. Here is the link to the locking clips that I bought. I also use some locking hitch pins as you can see.
http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP58093.html

Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
It is a terrible shame that we have to take precautions like this. What a world we live in. To think someone could pull those pins and create a life threatening situation. It's terrible.

When we were towing the 3400RL we had the same locking rings John described. I picked them up at a camping store, and also a Hitch company carried them.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thank you for the pictures!
Looks like a good setup for my Superglide & Super rails. I would have never thought of using the locking hitch pins.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

I use a combination of two different locking systems. I lock the Superrails to the posts, lock the hitch base and the hitch to the rails and lock the hitch head to the main hitch body. Here are a couple of pics of my Superglide with the Superrails. Also note the lock for the hitch release handle too. Here is the link to the locking clips that I bought. I also use some locking hitch pins as you can see.
http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP58093.html

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote