Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
First Year, Thinking About Old Man Winter Coming!

Ok, so we are now FT'ers and after getting back from SD after Labor Day we need to start gearing up for winter here in the Poconos in NE PA.

We have a winter water site which means the camp heat wraps their pipes, etc.

I will be looking into skirting the underside and putting heat wrap on the water line, but looking for some advice on the proper heat wrap and insulation on the water line, etc.

We have camped in the winter before but for short stints (weekends, etc.) and any tips for the Ft'ers are most appreciated!

Thanks,

Les

Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I just use pipe insulation and a regular heat tape, just make sure that the end that has the thermostat isn't in your control center (you know how I know). I also drilled two holes the size of quarters in my duct work going to the bedroom to get more heat in the basement. We don't use skirting and starting this year we aren't planning on being anywhere that the temps are below freezing for weeks at a time. Hopefully not even days. Another option is hoses they make with the heat tape imbedded in them. RV outlets have them, but they are pricy.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Camp world just had hose with heat tape on sale. May still be. Other than that just take your hose,put tape on it per instuctions and then get some long pipe insulation tubes. They are like the noodles you use in the pool. Wrap them up and tape it. I'd wrap some foam around the shut off valve from the CG and tape it up too. Or you can work off the house tank. When empty fill it back up. Drain the hose out real good. Good to go. Black water, I would run the sewer pipe inside of some pvc to help keep it from getting brittle and cracking. Keep it on a pretty good decline and empty as needed. Good Luck. It'll be nice and toasty down here. Bought like it is now. LOL. I think if it was me I'd head south some. I personally think the North is going to get pounded this winter.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We have been thu 2 cold winters lessons learned: heat tape ALL THE WAY UP! and foam wrap 3M covering for the windows ,and when it gets really gets cold keep your holding tanks CLOSED till they get full them dump them and get all the water out of the hose if you do not do this grey water will build up in your hose and freeze and you will not be able to drain anything till you thaw it out with a hair dryer GEEE I wonder how I know this?????? Also be prepared for big propane and electric bills and lastly you gotta have a generator in case the power goes out ,we just have a portable 2000 watt that seems to power everything we need last year we lost power for 7 days it was a life saver!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Hey, these homes have wheels, how about just moving somewhere warmer?? That's what we plan to do as we've seen more than our share of that white stuff.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

Hey, these homes have wheels, how about just moving somewhere warmer?? That's what we plan to do as we've seen more than our share of that white stuff.
That was going to be my question...why winter in PA?
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Some of us weirdo's believe it or not like the change of seasons, We like the beauty of the snow and the peacefullness of the rain in the fall, not too many people at the campgrounds and we love the big storms at the ocean and we have a nice spot on a lake that we would hate to leave and loose our spot and we have family here, I think some people feel the same
Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billhoover

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

That was going to be my question...why winter in PA?
Well the simple answer is that the company I work for has asked me to stay on and finish a couple of major projects I am running and NE PA gives me good access to NYC where these projects are located. We are certainly not new to the winters in the NE (when we actually get them) so living in the cold does not bother us. Our biggest thing is to be prepared.

I appreciate the suggestions and advise. I will certainly look into the different heat wraps, insulation, etc.

From browing the web it looks like there are a lot of solutions for skirting the bottom, but we want to incorporate something that will look like it was designed for the rig and not just a Rube Goldberg idea!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
It was just on the news that in the NE the good news was up till Christmas it is suppose to be above average temps and a mild winter,,,,,,the bad news is after that they predict the NE is gonna get pounded....Brrrrrrr
Worked too many winters outside witht he phone company in Pa., I lost my fondness for snow lol lol....I prefer cactus and margaritas to snow shovels and hot chocolate.........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

It was just on the news that in the NE the good news was up till Christmas it is suppose to be above average temps and a mild winter,,,,,,the bad news is after that they predict the NE is gonna get pounded....Brrrrrrr
Worked too many winters outside witht he phone company in Pa., I lost my fondness for snow lol lol....I prefer cactus and margaritas to snow shovels and hot chocolate.........
One of these days I plan on joining you next to that cactus with a tanker full of margaritas!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I'll find you one without the fire ants lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote