Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
pebbles

M.O.C. #22913
Dish tv

We have a 2019 Montana 3121RL.
We have a Dish Tailgater and Dish Playmaker. The reason we have two satellite devices
1. To run 2 TV's off the tailgater means you have to know which of the 3 satellites your channel comes from. So if you are watching tv in the living room and you decide do change the channel in the bedroom, you'll could mess up the living room tv. The 2nd reason we bought the playmaker was we thought the tailgater was the reason we couldn't get Dish do work. We've spent a ton of time on the phone with Dish and we took the Montana back into Camping World to respond to the tv problem. Camping world tested or Tailgater and said everything was fine, but it's not. We've learned the camper wiring is the issue. Dish told us that this problem is very common. If the camper wasn't wired for high speed, with RG6, the tailgater can be very finicky. Our camper is wired for satellite, antenna, and cable all in one, The problem is, the multiple all in one wiring ou s not conducive to work together. Behind the tv's are wall plates with two recepticles. We opened them up and found we diplexer recepticles to prove the multiple wiring.
Resolve:
Bypass hooking up the tailgater or the playmaker in the cargo area.
Instead, run the cable through the window using RG6 cabling and a RG6 flat connection adapter through the window. The flat connector is $10 on Amazon and it's 12 inches long, and you'll be able to close your windows.

pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:21 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
That's the way I solved it. Lots of folks pull new coax - which is what I intend to do when I get a round tuit.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use the cable in the rig. I just disconnected the splitter behind the convenience center and hooked the runs up direct. I also use Winegard G2+'s for my antennas since the problem with tailgater type antennas is that the reciever has to power them back thru the cable. The G2+ provides it's own power.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I was able to get mine to work by disconnecting the splitter but lost OTA and park cable capability. Have since run dedicated cables through the wall for the Dish and still have OTA and park cable when we want to use that.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
We have the same combination of satellite antenna. We also run them direct avoiding the internal cabling. The internal connections works once in a while, but not consistently. DW and I often watch different shows on separate TVs (I get tired of HGTV) so two separate systems. After several questions from passers by as to why the two domes, I finally labeled them "his" and "hers". Some folks get it. I'm a little surprised at how many don't.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote