Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
Lrs52200

M.O.C. #27438
Unhappy '07 Mountaineer Furnace Question

I just bought an /07 Mountaineer for my husband. It was winterized and we figured out how to get the water running and to light the hot water heater. Sadly though, we do not understand how to make the furnace run. We turned the heat all the way up but nothing happened. We checked the fuses in the fuse box but none were blown.
We've never owned a camper before and have no idea how to get the furnace going. There was no owner's manual and I cannot find one online and worse yet, Keystone doesn't have the manual for that model year online.
Can anyone help us? We are wondering if there is a kill switch (wrong terminology, I know) somewhere like what was on the water heater. We had to flip a switch to get the water to run into the water heater so we're wondering if there's something like that for the furnace too??
Any ideas??
It's finally getting chilly here in Mississippi....LOL....

Lrs52200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Make sure the "mode" on your thermostat is set to furnace. There is a rocker switch on the top of the furnace. To get to mine I must remove the back wall of the garage. I've never known anyone to turn that off except to service the furnace. You also have a12v fuse for the furnace in your D/C power distribution panel.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Lrs52200

M.O.C. #27438
This is going to sound stupidly ignorant, but we don't have a garage on our camper and the only other outside panel that we can remove is the one (that we think is for the furnace) that appears to have something for the A/C on the left side of the compartment. There is a plastic housing on it and so I removed it to see what was in there and it's a circuit board and two fuses. I noticed that there is a blue wire that isn't connected to anything but there appears to be no male part to attach it to (we have no problems with the A/C)?? Also, to the right of the compartment is what I believe to be the furnace - there is a metal shield over it and what appears to be a metal gas line going behind the shield...but I do not see a rocker switch (or any kind of switch) behind that metal shield.
I tell you I feel like a total idiot because I can't figure this out. I know the thing works because the company that sold it to us says it works just fine...
Old 11-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
Lrs52200

M.O.C. #27438
I'm really starting to feel like a complete idiot here....
I just went outside to look at that compartment again and I think what I'm seeing is the refrigerator
I saw in another forum that the furnace is located beneath the refrigerator in this model year and the vents arebelow this compartment so I guess I'm in the right location but that thing on the right side of the compartments still doesn't look like a furnace to me.
Do you suppose the mean the furnace is literally located beneath the refrigerator and if so, is it accessed from inside the camper??
OMG I am such a noob....
Old 11-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
You should see a furnace exhaust vent on the outside of the trailer. Looks something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dometic-3...843ab50ed15cd1
The furnace is right behind the vent. Not familiar with your model so not sure how you get to it.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Jim really meant to look behind the wall in the basement storage, not the garage. Also make sure your batteries are good and the connections including the ground are tight and attached. The furnace runs on 12v so the batteries have to be good to get it to turn on.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
Lrs52200

M.O.C. #27438
Okay guys, thank you all so very much for the information. I'll go out tomorrow and see if there is a way to access the furnace another way, because the outdoor compartment I'm talking about is above the exhaust vents so I'm hopeful that the furnace really is under the refrigerator and accessible from inside the camper because I really can't see any other way of getting to it unless I have to crawl beneath the camper.
I'll let you know tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Jim really meant to look behind the wall in the basement storage, not the garage. Also make sure your batteries are good and the connections including the ground are tight and attached. The furnace runs on 12v so the batteries have to be good to get it to turn on.
Thanks for clarifying Dick. You are just like the DW, always knows what I mean regardless of how I say it.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrs52200 View Post
I know the thing works because the company that sold it to us says it works just fine...
Might try calling the company that says it works just fine. Maybe they can walk you through it.
Also I was talking from a 5th wheel view. Is this by chance a travel trailer?