Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #21
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ours are thinner than the originals. I do not use the ring or the aluminum risers. Hope they work for you.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:11 AM   #22
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRobert View Post
Mopeka works even better if you order the halo ring to provide the appropriate clearance when positioning the sensor(s). https://www.amazon.com/Mopeka-Tank-C.../dp/B07HQZRR9F My sensors say full until reach the 20lb height within the 30lb bottle, but that's okay. May I also suggest that you purchase a steak saver adaptor https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Adapte...ag=googhydr-20 and one or two green 1lb bottles for emergency use ... small investment to get you out of trouble for not checking the Mopeka monitors or app. Just say'en
IF you download the app for your phone, you can set the sensor to 30lb cylinder instead of 20lb. That way the percentage should read accurately.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:15 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our propane tanks take 7 to 7.2 gals of propane on a regular basis. In temps in the mid 20's which rarely happens it will last 3 1/2 to 4 days heat set at 70 degrees
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #24
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
With the Mopeka App, I always get a warning on the tank (mine is set for 20%). Since I always keep one tank off, I know when it’s time to buy propane.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:47 AM   #25
RickyRobert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27598
Agree that the app is great and "programmable" - nice feature/function for those more accustomed to using apps then an old dog like me who still relies on see/touch/feel. I installed the monitor inside the master control panel on the inside staircase. As far as an app goes, I thought the app controlling the multitude of functions on the RV was great until I realized that I always needed to go inside to make sure nothing shifted or got left in the way before extending/retracting the slides etc., so using the real control panel was not a chore, and I get the benefit of reading the battery voltage off the solar monitor while there. BTW, can the master app unlock the travel mode block - I've been going inside to do this.

2020 3931FB (every option but exterior kitchen)
2019 RAM 3500 DRW 4X4, HO Turbo Diesel, 4.10 Axle
B&W Companion 25K OEM Puck System
RickyRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #26
Mstacksrazorbacks

M.O.C. #26207
Dutchman where were you staying while in Cullman? I live in this area.
Mstacksrazorbacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:26 PM   #27
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
Rohrmann is correct about the propane not vaporizing when the tank is near empty with temperatures well below freezing.

I've been using inline pressure gauges for many years. So far they have worked perfectly and indicate how much propane is left. As the volume decrease, so does the pressure on the gauge. They're color coded. Time to refill when the needle touches the red.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #28
datadr

M.O.C. #26286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
This is my 3rd camper that has two 30 pound propane tanks. We've done a lot of cold weather camping over the past 20 years and in a way, we are camping now in "cold" weather. We're in Cullman, Alabama for another week and then heading home to Indiana.

This campground provides propane fill-ups and they sell by the pound. Now, I've filled at other places by-the-pound, but I'm noticing an oddity here.

Outside temps are ranging from 22 degrees at night to almost 70 during the day, depending on which day. We've been here for a month now and these have been the extremes. So, we are using the furnace for heat. So, we are using the furnace at night.

Now, back to the propane tank. One thing I've noticed here, when my furnace goes out and I switch over tanks (I open only 1 at a time), I've noticed ice on the bottom of the empty tank. The ice is formed about 2-3 inches high from the bottom. When filling the tanks at home, they are filled almost always, 6.9 or even 7 pounds. (Tractor Supply). Here, they are filling at 6.2 pounds. The guy that does the filling says my tanks are not emptying completely. But furnace is completely out, and absolutely no flame at the gas stove.

So, I'm a little bewildered. First, why is the ice forming on the tank? I've never seen that before until now. Like I said, we've had 5 different campers, pop-up, 3 travel trailers, 1 fifth wheel. Last 3 had 30 pound tanks, the ones before had 20 pound, and we've always had gas grills at home with 20 pound tanks. Never seen the ice before.

I'm sure there is a logical explanation, #1 for the Ice, #2 for a fill up at 6.2 (unless this is the limit the campground decided to go). It doesn't matter in the long run, 6.2 or 7, because it is paid by the pound. But still, if there is still gas in the tank.... why?

Any thoughts?
I lurk here for a while as a future Montana owner, but I wanted to chime in on this one.

The reason you have remaining propane in the tanks is due to the temperature. At freezing and below ambient temperatures, the vaporization temperature of propane changes. Tank sizing is always important and the total surface area of the tank itself affects vaporization factors. Because of this, the "effective" propane in the tank (usable) drops as the temperature drops. Doesn't mean you can't burn it - but that's why the guy filling your tank says there's some left in there. Good details here:

https://www.tarantin.com/blog/propan...ne-tank-sizing

I learned this when I was getting new tanks for home (big 200lb tanks).
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #29
John E

M.O.C. #24675
Boiling to a gas

I've understood that propane vaporizes to a gas at -26 f, so especially when the tank is near empty it gets cold and water vapor can/ will freeze to the outside of the tank. I bad news is that the ice can act like an insulation and slow the gas going to a vapor dropping the pressure so the furnace will shutdown. It's one of the reasons large tanks are elongated- to give more surface area to the liquid propane
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #30
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have the auto switch over, but in my current fifth wheel and my last 2 travel trailers, I don't use it. I keep one tank turned off. Why? It only takes once to run out both propane tanks in the middle of the night, in a campground a bazzilion miles from the closest propane fill up on a Saturday night when there is snow on the ground.

Yep, after that experience, I said never again. Our first travel trailer did not have an auto cross over. I never ran out because I knew when one tank was empty. I knew I had some time to get the empty one filled now.

With the auto cross over, if you run out completely, you have no back-up, no warning, except a furnace that blows only cold air.

We're "relatively" cold weather camping right now, and I just don't want to wake up and be completely empty. I REALLY am not very good at checking the green - red monitor.

This last December (2020) at home, I filled one tank (we were using the camper at home) and put it back in place. It dropped even colder and we finally migrated back into the house. I knew the furnace was still on, about 45 degrees. Temps warmed a bit and thought we'd move back to the camper a few more night. Furnace wouldn't fire. Check the propane tanks and both were empty. Both were left "on" and the switch over did work. Took both tanks that same day to Tractor Supply for a fill up. I still do not know how both tanks were left on. But they sure ran through 60 pounds pretty fast that few days.

That's why I do one tank at a time.
You said you got up in the middle of the night to switch tanks. WHY? Use the auto switchover. You know how long the tanks last, if you need to, set a reminder on your phone to fill the tank. I have severe memory issues now at 78 and have never run out of propane in 40 years of camping. In cold weather the propane can not fully vaporize that is why some is left. Since the conversion of liquid to gas is endothermic that leaves the tank very cold and with some humidity it forms ice. Have you never used the trick to determine tank level of pouring water on the tank? As far as weight differences, there are lot's of reasons but if you are paying by the pound why worry.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #31
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I have Mopeka tank monitors. Like you, I have run out in the middle of the night. Not fun.
Mopeka too! I can monitor when one tank gets empty. Don’t want to run completely out in the middle of the night.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #32
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
Tank ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have the new, unopened package of Mopeka sensors/monitors somewhere in this trailer....or back at the barn, I'm not sure. If I have them here I'm going to open them, install them and try it again - it's a new trailer. The last trailer, bought new, had mismatched LP tanks (but neither sensor worked correctly with 2 sets). I've not bought the rings that go under the tanks simply because buying the sensors, the ring etc. costs more and is more hassle than peeking in the LP tank door occasionally. If I can find them and get them installed I'll give it a whirl again and update.
Went to auto parts store, bought heavy duty rubber 1/4” fuel line cut to fit and split one side. Holds tank high enough to clear tank sensor. Mopeka is a great company, they have replaced both my sensors even though they were several years old at NC.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #33
Bill Carver

M.O.C. #27186
When in the southern US you need to be sure they are not mixing in Butane because it does not vaporize at a very cold temperature and then you may have some left when it no longer lights. Butane does not vaporize below about 25 degrees F.
Bill Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:07 PM   #34
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
In very cold conditions, one of these blankets would help the gas to vaporize properly. https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...S_powerblanket
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #35
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
I use the Mopeka Tank sensors with the app and thus far they have been very useful and accurate.
Rlates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #36
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
I have used the Mopeka tank sensors with the app and thus far have been very useful. I have only had them about 1 month. But seem to be operating as advertised
Rlates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #37
JLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #24262
we full time here in Guntersville AL. We keep both tanks open and I know to check the regulator every three days if its red im on the 2nd tank and time to swap the other out.
it takes about 3 solid cold days below freezing to drain a 30 lb tank here.
the ice you spoke of is due to temp and humidity. you will have some propane in the bottom of the tank when its in the 20 s. I fill my tanks at work and i notice warmer temps i get 7 gallons in a tank colder temps 5 to 6. thats why you fill to the weight of the tank and propane as not to over fill. hope this helps.

Living the 5W Life
2020 3701LK
2017 Ram 3500
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:51 PM   #38
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
You said you got up in the middle of the night to switch tanks. WHY? Use the auto switchover. You know how long the tanks last, if you need to, set a reminder on your phone to fill the tank. I have severe memory issues now at 78 and have never run out of propane in 40 years of camping. In cold weather the propane can not fully vaporize that is why some is left. Since the conversion of liquid to gas is endothermic that leaves the tank very cold and with some humidity it forms ice. Have you never used the trick to determine tank level of pouring water on the tank? As far as weight differences, there are lot's of reasons but if you are paying by the pound why worry.
Totally agree here. I cold camp all the time and check the gauge every day. When it's read I fill the empty one. No way I'm going outside in the middle of the night to throw a valve. I've run out only once in 8 years (that was before I checked every day) but no problem because the 20ob tank for the gas grill is my emergency back up.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #39
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstacksrazorbacks View Post
Dutchman where were you staying while in Cullman? I live in this area.
Cullman, Alabama, Cullman Campground:

Click here
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote