Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2024, 02:54 PM   #1
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Question Range

Is there any reason I cant rip out the junk suburban range we have and install a residential range with an LP conversion kit. The cabinet mods and LP line are not an issue for me. The range leaks so much heat and the door gets so hot you get burnt just brushing by it whin its in use. And it takes very long to boil water on the stove. All in all the wife hates it. and it leaves carbon black on the cookware. Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks

Old 01-09-2024, 04:30 PM   #2
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
I don’t have an answer for you. I just wanted to say that we also don’t care much for the range. Really about the only thing we use it for is cooking eggs and bacon. I cook alot of suppers outside, either on the grill or in my Dutch ovens. We do use the convection/ microwave combo quite a bit for biscuits, pizza, and such. I’d be happy to take out the range,and replace it with a cook top and storage space underneath. So keep us posted on your progress.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:49 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Switching to electric might be another option. Like Trevor I do much of our cooking outside on the grill, instant pot or air fryer. I use the oven more than the cooktop.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 05:18 PM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
maybe?

It`s doable. I think you're only limited by your skills and imagination.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 05:36 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
DW says she likes our Furrion oven. If we ever consider swapping out the stove she would likely pick something like this one...she loves the color!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-01-09_18-32-44.png
Views:	26
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	16269  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:13 PM   #6
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
An expensive (cheap) option to try might be an induction hotplate type cooktop. There are numerous single burner models for <$100, and two burner models for <$150. We've gotten good use from ours and it's extremely portable enough to take outdoors weather permitting and setting on a folding table. You can't use cookware made of aluminum or ceramic on them. They are fast and put almost no heat into the room.

Every family is different, but I can't ever recall the need for 3 much less 4 burners on a cooktop in the camper; and maybe only for holiday meals in our house. As far as the oven, we rely on the induction microwave and I put a fairly large air fryer oven in an outdoor entertainment bay where it fit nicely. I've never liked gas ovens and have only used the one in the RV once that I can remember.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 05:01 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
There's no reason why you can't do it as long as your new equipment fits the space or if you fabricate the space and trim it in. It's your camper, you have to outfit it to fit your personal needs. That's all that matters.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 05:49 PM   #8
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Ditto on what others have said about using cheaper, more portable cooking options. I use regular electric single burners which you can get for around $20, an electric skillet which I didn't pay much for, and a big, cheap regular countertop toaster oven that's big enough to cook a meal for two in, just like a regular oven. Also a crockpot and an Instant Pot. (And the microwave--I cook chicken every day in the microwave. Just put a piece of raw chicken on a plate, put some waxed paper over it, then nuke it till it's done and the skin is crispy. )
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:14 AM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd & Mary View Post
Is there any reason I cant rip out the junk suburban range we have and install a residential range with an LP conversion kit. The cabinet mods and LP line are not an issue for me. The range leaks so much heat and the door gets so hot you get burnt just brushing by it whin its in use. And it takes very long to boil water on the stove. All in all the wife hates it. and it leaves carbon black on the cookware. Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks
We have a suburban and don't have any issues with it. Cook top and oven work great. I'm sure you can replace it though.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:02 PM   #10
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
We have a suburban and don't have any issues with it. Cook top and oven work great. I'm sure you can replace it though.
Our suburban leaks so much heat it barely makes set temp. And the oven door gets almost as hot as the interior of the oven.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:27 PM   #11
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
We have the Furrion oven and range. Range is good. Oven OK. The door does not get hot. Temperature control could be better.

Is there a way to adjust the flame on your range? Shouldn't be blackening pots.

Let us know what you find to fit.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote