Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2023, 03:00 PM   #1
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Hey there! So much to learn..

Brand new to all of this.
I've recently purchased a like new 2020 Montana High Country 295RL and a F350 Super Duty. I've parked it and am currently moving in, organizing, and learning while renting a lot near Mexico Beach, FL from Oct-Mar. I have a pull-through space and full hookups.
I. Know. Nothing.
Any wisdom, suggestions, advice, welcome.
I'm very excited for this new adventure. It's something I've always wanted to do.
Happy to be here.

GigiGetsAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:11 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting your new Montana. You've come to the right place for information and to ask questions.

All of us were brand new to our respective campers at one time or another. Yes, they are really exiting. And, at the same time, can be a bit daunting. But take it one step at a time and eventually things will not be so overwhelming any more.

We camped at St. Joe Penesula State Park several years ago for a week. We really enjoyed that little part of Florida. We drove through Mexico Beach several times, ate there, purchased some stuff there. We also spent a bunch of money at San Blas also, and enjoyed spending every penny.

The following year we went to Panama City and stayed at St. Andrews State Park. We didn't realize "Spring Break" was in full swing when we were there. Panama City was a zoo with all those insane college kids doing stuff pretty bizarre.

Of the 2 we enjoyed Port St. Joe State Park more. But, in order to get anywhere we had to drive, so there was a trade off.

Hey! enjoy your new camper and keep reading these forums. There's a lot of information you can pick up. Don't forget to search YouTube.com for videos and "almost" anything RV related you can think of, if you need visual aid.

Life is great! Enjoy! and, Happy Camping!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Gigi, The main issues you may experience is with the schwintek bedroom slide and the leveling system. Make sure your as level as can be before opening the bedroom. If the axels are off the ground place lego's under them before opening.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:36 AM   #4
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
DutchmenSport..
Thank you so much!
Old 10-26-2023, 03:39 AM   #5
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Gigi, The main issues you may experience is with the schwintek bedroom slide and the leveling system. Make sure your as level as can be before opening the bedroom. If the axels are off the ground place lego's under them before opening.
I will watch for that.
So far..only (minor) issue I've had is the water pump. I turn it off at night. It's loud.
I'm looking into either solar or a generator, but still researching. I'm still unpacking and tossing at the moment.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:05 AM   #6
gleneber63

M.O.C. #33536
You might check your faucets, and the toilet valve as the only time that should run is when you are running water and should stop shortly after you have shut off the water. Are you sure you got all of the air out of your water lines?

Dont forget to enjoy the camper
gleneber63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:33 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiGetsAround View Post
I will watch for that.
So far..only (minor) issue I've had is the water pump. I turn it off at night. It's loud.
I'm looking into either solar or a generator, but still researching. I'm still unpacking and tossing at the moment.
Didn't yours come with any solar? Most of the 295's have at least 200 watt system. Is it prepped?
Old 10-26-2023, 09:14 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If your water pump is kicking on in spurts and you are not running any water, check the valve in the convenience center outside and make sure it's not set on "fill" but on the normal flow position.

The second thing to look for is to make sure there are no drips at the water heater (outside) where the anode rod / drain plug is. It takes only about 2 ounces of water to drip and the water pump will kick on and spurt. Your water lines are pressurized, yes. But there is no air tank to create more of a gap between when the pump turns on and then turns off.

So, if you are getting water pump spurts and no water run, check these two things first.

About the noise, a lot of people have come up with all sorts of ways to help quiet the water pump noise. The fact is, the actual pump runs extremely quiet. What is happening is the "hammering" effect in the pipes. As the pump runs, it sends extremely fast pulses of water through the pipes. These pulses begin to compress and escalate faster and faster. That vibration is sent down the pipes and it magnifies to a pounding sound that can be heard. Sometimes that sound, sounds like its right at the water pump. And other times, that sound can be at the opposite end of the trailer.

My water pump is located in the very front of the camper, behind the convenience center. The bathroom shower is nearer the end, past the axles. (a good 25 feet or more from the water pump). Yet, when mine "hammers" it always sounds like it's coming from underneath the shower. There is no pump there. The vibrations seem to get captured there.

Eventually, the loud hammering quiets down. Then we move the camper to a new site and it starts up again until the water has been turn off and on a few times. Then it gets real quiet again. Also, when I add water to the tank it hammers also the next several times water is turned on. We just learned to live with it.

Actually, hearing the pump run is a good thing. If you have water leaking anywhere, you'll hear it kick on, only after 2 ounces is lost, not 200 gallons if you don't hear a broken pipe when hooked up to city water.

Good luck!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:23 AM   #9
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleneber63 View Post
You might check your faucets, and the toilet valve as the only time that should run is when you are running water and should stop shortly after you have shut off the water. Are you sure you got all of the air out of your water lines?

Dont forget to enjoy the camper
I will have to get someone to show me how to do that. I definitely did not. I did find several threads online from other owners of this series that had a similar issue. Could it be that none of us knew we should, or how to, do this?
Old 10-26-2023, 09:25 AM   #10
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Didn't yours come with any solar? Most of the 295's have at least 200 watt system. Is it prepped?
I was told it's prepped. Just haven't gotten to that yet. I've been living in only about 2 weeks. ����
Old 10-26-2023, 09:27 AM   #11
GigiGetsAround
Established Member

M.O.C. #33547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
If your water pump is kicking on in spurts and you are not running any water, check the valve in the convenience center outside and make sure it's not set on "fill" but on the normal flow position.

The second thing to look for is to make sure there are no drips at the water heater (outside) where the anode rod / drain plug is. It takes only about 2 ounces of water to drip and the water pump will kick on and spurt. Your water lines are pressurized, yes. But there is no air tank to create more of a gap between when the pump turns on and then turns off.

So, if you are getting water pump spurts and no water run, check these two things first.

About the noise, a lot of people have come up with all sorts of ways to help quiet the water pump noise. The fact is, the actual pump runs extremely quiet. What is happening is the "hammering" effect in the pipes. As the pump runs, it sends extremely fast pulses of water through the pipes. These pulses begin to compress and escalate faster and faster. That vibration is sent down the pipes and it magnifies to a pounding sound that can be heard. Sometimes that sound, sounds like its right at the water pump. And other times, that sound can be at the opposite end of the trailer.

My water pump is located in the very front of the camper, behind the convenience center. The bathroom shower is nearer the end, past the axles. (a good 25 feet or more from the water pump). Yet, when mine "hammers" it always sounds like it's coming from underneath the shower. There is no pump there. The vibrations seem to get captured there.

Eventually, the loud hammering quiets down. Then we move the camper to a new site and it starts up again until the water has been turn off and on a few times. Then it gets real quiet again. Also, when I add water to the tank it hammers also the next several times water is turned on. We just learned to live with it.

Actually, hearing the pump run is a good thing. If you have water leaking anywhere, you'll hear it kick on, only after 2 ounces is lost, not 200 gallons if you don't hear a broken pipe when hooked up to city water.

Good luck!
Going to check all of this right now. Thank you so much!
And yes, many suggestions involved "wrapping" pipes.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:31 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Gigi, welcome to the Montana Family from the mountains of Colorado. Remember, we all started with zero experience even if it was twenty or more years ago. The reason we don’t even look at other brands is this forum and the rallies. If possible, try to attend some rallies, meet people and learn from them. There is a section down below about Regional Camping Clubs. In that section is the Rally Calendar. Remember, we’re all here to help. Hope you make many happy memories.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 10:02 AM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As for noisy pump - maybe things have changed since I read this years ago, but some people suggested placing a computer mouse pad under the pump and bolting it back down. That would absorb some of the vibration and reduce noise. I never did it as I don't use the pump much - almost completely when stopping for a bathroom break on the road. Don't care if it is loud then!! LOL

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:22 AM   #14
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I did the old mouse pad thing with my pump and I honestly cannot tell if it made any difference. It's still very loud but I'm OK with the noise. DW doesn't like it though. I kind of like knowing that if the pump is running and it shouldn't be, we have a leak, so I think of it as a tell tale.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:49 PM   #15
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiGetsAround View Post
Brand new to all of this.
I've recently purchased a like new 2020 Montana High Country 295RL and a F350 Super Duty. I've parked it and am currently moving in, organizing, and learning while renting a lot near Mexico Beach, FL from Oct-Mar. I have a pull-through space and full hookups.
I. Know. Nothing.
Any wisdom, suggestions, advice, welcome.
I'm very excited for this new adventure. It's something I've always wanted to do.
Happy to be here.
Lots to learn, but fortunately for you, us guys have made plenty of mistakes for you to learn from.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:59 PM   #16
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
If you have full hookups including water, then your water pump should "never" run.